Paperweight--Argentine Black and White Tegu

Pet Loss, Sick Pets, Pet Memorial, Lost Pets,

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paperweight--Argentine Black and White Tegu

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:02 pm

I lost Paperweight today, just out of the blue. She was moving around this morning and then when I went to go see her a few hours later, she was dead. Since she's a reptile I thought if I could get her to the vet, maybe they could restart her heart or something. So I gave her CPR for about 45 minutes as we drove through a snowstorm to the vet. When we got there, the vet said there was nothing they could do, that rigor mortis had started setting in already.

She came to me emaciated--absolutely skinny with hip bones sticking out.

Paperweight at least passed away in her sleep. She was curled up when we found her. I think her heart just decided to give out and wasn't strong enough due to the malnourishment she'd had all her life.

I miss her so much. She wasn't with me long enough. I'm heartbroken.

I'm keeping her body for a while. I don't think I'll have a necropsy done--I really think it was from all those years of being malnourished. But I haven't decided yet. I may ask a friend to take a look at her insides, but I don't know.

It was so sudden. Paperweight was sweet and curious. Her brother Payload is huge and impressive, but she was meek and overlooked because of that. It's so hard to lose a pet--I haven't lost an animal since the ball python Scarborough Fair, and it really hurts.

I wanted to get her up to full health and see her with a fat, chubby body and thick tail. From the picture you can see how emaciated she was and bony.

Rest in peace, Paperweight. You are missed and still loved.

16997496_10202822189233718_197180855_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
H20 Sl

Re: Paperweight--Argentine Black and White Tegu

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Oh I'm so sorry Ash..what a gorgeous lizard.. Rest in Peace..
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:18 pm

RIP Paperweight.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Sometimes with a bad past you can't fix it. It still hurts of course but at least you know you gave her good care while she was with you.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Thank you guys. She is really missed. Here she got to eat regularly, have the right heat and humidity. She was very happy. Whenever I would go into the bathroom she'd start tongue flicking and following me around (at least when she wasn't sleeping, lol). Paperweight was very sweet.

I still have Payload to help me remember her. Her big brother. He's a sweetheart too but is just too "cool" for humans. That's his attitude at least--just opens one eye and watches me walk around but doesn't come over. But still a nice lizard that likes his jowls rubbed.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Here are some pictures I took of both Paperweight and Payload. I love the one where they have both fallen asleep beside each other. He is so much bigger than she is--like triple her size. His head is bigger than my hand, but her head could fit in my palm.

16111036_745671558923962_492673791558680576_n.jpg

15876441_273441546408073_4541469243077558272_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm

I'm so sorry, Ash. I hope it's comforting for you to know her time with you was spent in the right habitat, comfortable, never hungry, loved.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:56 am

So sorry for your loss... Paperweight was a gorgeous teigu. Hopefully she's in a better place now.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, mink, bat eared fox, jerboa, lemur (brown or white ruffed), egyptian fruit bat.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 am

I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry:

really irks me when people neglect the proper care of animals. the previous owners should be jailed and fined for the abuse.
the law takes abuse so lightly.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “Pet Loss/Pet Twilight”