NOTICE:

THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT.
I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

IT COULD TAKE ANYWHERE FROM AN HOUR OR MORE TO A DAY. LOTS OF WORK INVOLVED IN IT.
I MIGHT CHANGE THE THEME TOO. SO IF YOU COME ON WITH A DIFFERENT LOOK, YOU ARE AT THE RIGHT PLACE....LOL

So can hyenas be kept as pets

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxyloxy53

So can hyenas be kept as pets

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 pm

i always wanted a spotted hyena more then a fox i have no idea if they can be pets or owned icon_confused.gif so if you could he me out please tell me what they need to eat where they need to be kept how many i need and what country they can be kept in
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So can hyenas be kept as pets

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:53 am

Hi. I too dream of owning hyenas someday, but they are way beyond my experience level, so I consider them a "pet down the road" type of animal. But they are definitely what I love, and what I want.

Which species are you interested in? I love all the different types. The striped and spotteds are beautiful. The brown ones are too, but they are endangered and so it is almost impossible to get them anywhere unless you're a "legit," accredited zoo, but they most likely wouldn't be able to be imported into your country. Most info we have on hyenas is on spotteds. It's very difficult to find any reading material on the striped, and less so the browns.

They can certainly be kept as pets, but one must be aware of the dangers they can pose. They are HUGE animals and very powerful. They can break bones easily--the spotted male's diet is supposedly mostly composed of bone. There have been instances of captive hyenas biting and breaking their keepers arms--one was on fatal attractions (a spotted), and the other was a striped at a zoo (though I don't think it was bottle-raised, but it was tame with its handlers in general).

Spotteds are the most "commonly" kept species in captivity, and the least expensive--around $4500, though you can find them cheaper if you look around or go to auctions. You can't visibly sex them, so they have to be DNA-tested. They can dig, but they can't climb well, so you will have to bury wire or chain link below for a while, or have it come in several feet to deter them. A high fence is always best, and low gauge material is what you will need (the lower the gauge, the stronger). Even though they don't climb, I would still recommend having lean-ins on the top, or as was mentioned in the wolf forum recently, hotwire along the top and maybe along the bottom to deter them from checking out any weakspots in the fence.

You don't need more than one if it's going to be socialized well and spend a lot of time with you, but a spotted might do well with a friend since they are clan animals. However, since spotteds are very hierarchy-driven, one will bully the other, even making bleeding open wounds.

You would have to establish dominance with your hyena so it sees you as the "matriarch" or "alpha," whatever you want to call it. A hyena keeper on youtube suggested to pinch them every once in a while and assert yourself and be confident.

Hyenas are strict carnivores, and whole prey would be best. Whole chicken, whole rabbit, deer after hunting. Some zoos fast them one day a week and give them bones to eat and chew on that day. Fasting can be good for an animal's health (obviously if done in moderation), and I know that lots of people do this with their exotic cats as well. They are voracious animals and are very possessive of their food like most exotics.

They are legal in some states in the USA with permits, in the UK with a DWA(?) permit. Sorry, I don't know the Canadian laws for hyenas. I know it varies by province, and there are certain importation laws you would have to look into as well.

Everything I have said is for spotteds, but the care should be relatively the same for all. The differences would be behavior, temperament, and interactions. Striped don't establish the crazy, violent hierarchy that spotteds do.

If you have any questions, let me know. I love talking about hyenas and learning about them and hearing other peoples' views. If you find any good material, let me know and I'd love to read it. I bought some hyena studies off of Amazon (like the boring, long, dry, technical stuff--but it is very informative, and that's how I like it). One of the books has a nice little section about hyena vocalizations and body language. It was very interesting to read.

You should check out hyena interactions on youtube! They are just so amazing to watch, especially when they interact with people. Bottle-raised ones can be very friendly and loving animals.

Oh, ALSO! Have you heard of aardwolves? They are like a miniature, insectivorous hyena. They are the coolest creatures, but to my knowledge nobody breeds them in captivity except for accredited zoos. So there aren't any available. Someone would need to import wild-caught ones and try to get them to breed. But their diet is very tricky, since they eat termites (pretty much exclusively). There also have been no studies that I have been able to find regarding the nutritional content of the species of termite they eat. If you haven't heard of them, check them out! They are very cute, beautiful animals.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Foxyloxy53

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 am

Ash wrote:Hi. I too dream of owning hyenas someday, but they are way beyond my experience level, so I consider them a "pet down the road" type of animal. But they are definitely what I love, and what I want.

Which species are you interested in? I love all the different types. The striped and spotteds are beautiful. The brown ones are too, but they are endangered and so it is almost impossible to get them anywhere unless you're a "legit," accredited zoo, but they most likely wouldn't be able to be imported into your country. Most info we have on hyenas is on spotteds. It's very difficult to find any reading material on the striped, and less so the browns.

They can certainly be kept as pets, but one must be aware of the dangers they can pose. They are HUGE animals and very powerful. They can break bones easily--the spotted male's diet is supposedly mostly composed of bone. There have been instances of captive hyenas biting and breaking their keepers arms--one was on fatal attractions (a spotted), and the other was a striped at a zoo (though I don't think it was bottle-raised, but it was tame with its handlers in general).

Spotteds are the most "commonly" kept species in captivity, and the least expensive--around $4500, though you can find them cheaper if you look around or go to auctions. You can't visibly sex them, so they have to be DNA-tested. They can dig, but they can't climb well, so you will have to bury wire or chain link below for a while, or have it come in several feet to deter them. A high fence is always best, and low gauge material is what you will need (the lower the gauge, the stronger). Even though they don't climb, I would still recommend having lean-ins on the top, or as was mentioned in the wolf forum recently, hotwire along the top and maybe along the bottom to deter them from checking out any weakspots in the fence.

You don't need more than one if it's going to be socialized well and spend a lot of time with you, but a spotted might do well with a friend since they are clan animals. However, since spotteds are very hierarchy-driven, one will bully the other, even making bleeding open wounds.

You would have to establish dominance with your hyena so it sees you as the "matriarch" or "alpha," whatever you want to call it. A hyena keeper on youtube suggested to pinch them every once in a while and assert yourself and be confident.

Hyenas are strict carnivores, and whole prey would be best. Whole chicken, whole rabbit, deer after hunting. Some zoos fast them one day a week and give them bones to eat and chew on that day. Fasting can be good for an animal's health (obviously if done in moderation), and I know that lots of people do this with their exotic cats as well. They are voracious animals and are very possessive of their food like most exotics.

They are legal in some states in the USA with permits, in the UK with a DWA(?) permit. Sorry, I don't know the Canadian laws for hyenas. I know it varies by province, and there are certain importation laws you would have to look into as well.

Everything I have said is for spotteds, but the care should be relatively the same for all. The differences would be behavior, temperament, and interactions. Striped don't establish the crazy, violent hierarchy that spotteds do.

If you have any questions, let me know. I love talking about hyenas and learning about them and hearing other peoples' views. If you find any good material, let me know and I'd love to read it. I bought some hyena studies off of Amazon (like the boring, long, dry, technical stuff--but it is very informative, and that's how I like it). One of the books has a nice little section about hyena vocalizations and body language. It was very interesting to read.

You should check out hyena interactions on youtube! They are just so amazing to watch, especially when they interact with people. Bottle-raised ones can be very friendly and loving animals.

Oh, ALSO! Have you heard of aardwolves? They are like a miniature, insectivorous hyena. They are the coolest creatures, but to my knowledge nobody breeds them in captivity except for accredited zoos. So there aren't any available. Someone would need to import wild-caught ones and try to get them to breed. But their diet is very tricky, since they eat termites (pretty much exclusively). There also have been no studies that I have been able to find regarding the nutritional content of the species of termite they eat. If you haven't heard of them, check them out! They are very cute, beautiful animals.

i have bin thinking about spotted
lerowukta

Postby lerowukta » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 pm

I really want a hyena for pet too, I read a lot of documentation about hyenas, I went to local zoo owning hyenas so I could see it face to face.
I have a huge burning inclination for several years now, about getting my own hyena...
Please, .... Please... how could I get a hyena pup...
If anyone has a clue : please send *PM to contact

*mod edit, you should avoid posting your email publicly. (also be cautious emailing people as could be a spammer rouse to gather emails)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Make certain you live in an area where it's legal to own a hyena. That's number one. And number two is containment. You'll need to build a really strong enclosure for it.

I personally do not give info out when it comes to breeders of potentially dangerous species. If you're in the community long enough, you find people. Also, having credentials (such as owning exotics before and providing adequate knowledge of the species) is very, very important.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 pm

The best hyena species to own as a pet, though not even called a hyena, is the Aarwolf. They have small teeth, are shy, small, but gorgeous! Spotted Hyenas are highly intelligent, compared to apes in some instances, and are kept as pets in some instances, mostly in Africa. They are, as mentioned, potentially very dangerous as the female Spotted Hyenas have such high amounts of testosterone they sometimes kill each other as day-olds! That is a lot of aggression, so they need a strong hand, VERY strong enclosure as they can break out of almost anything, and lots of space, good quality food, and are very social, so best kept in a female pair or a male pair (want to avoid breeding them for sure, since without proper space this just leads to aggression.

Brown Hyenas and Striped Hyenas are both less aggressive then the Spotted, as they live in pairs and not packs and so don't need to argue over position. They also are scavengers more than hunters (Spotted hyenas hunt as often as scavenge). As mentioned the Brown Hyenas is endangered.

Great information Ash : ) I like hearing people who respect hyenas but actually see them for the intelligent, amazing animals they are. So many people feature them as the bad guys or the disgusting animals that steal prey from lions. But lions steal from hyenas just as often as hyenas steal from lions.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am

I would love a striped hyena, but due to their large size and more difficult legality, I'd be very happy with a little aardwolf as well. Me and hubby plan to farm insects anyway (certainly it must be less complicated to feed large hyenas, simply lots of fresh meat, bones and intestines).
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.

Return to “Large Critters”