HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Leopard seals?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Leopard seals?

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:08 pm

Does anyone have any information on these as pets? I know they seem daunting, but if I were to get one as a baby it won't be so bad.. How much would it cost to get one? And where could I get one?

This video shows that they're not so bad: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla ... xa6P73Awcg
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Onyx

Re: Leopard seals?

Postby Onyx » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:19 pm

I am highly certain you can't have these as pets... They aren't kept in captivity. I only know of one (named Casey) that has been in captivity, and it was a rescue that lived at the Taronga Zoo in Australia. He was euthanized in 2014.
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:15 am

They're gigantic (overall length 7.9–11.5 ft and weight is from 440 to 1,320 lb; pretty sure you can't own one as a pet. Unless you own an aquarium. They're also predators so they eat a lot of meat.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Most pinnipeds are too large to do well in captivity. They would require too much space and to keep their water clean is far too expensive (using chlorine is unhealthy for animals and can cause chronic health problems). Those kept tend to be those that were injured in the wild, are endangered (and so being bred), or were causing damage to property and couldn't remain in the wild.
Leopard Seals are also infamous as one of the most aggressive pinniped species and have killed people before.
However, I've always though the small Freshwater species were adorable. Because of their smaller populations I think they are protected, and so can't be owned, but they are smaller in size and they don't require salt water aquariums! They're only 3-4 feet long : )
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Splashstorm

I have to agree with the replies. I believe it would be very difficult to keep. I also doubt they would be legal.

get a fish tank of piranhas instead.. :lol:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 pm

They are protected under the Convention for the Conservation for Antarctic Seals, the Wildlife Act and the Marine Mammals Protection Act.

So they cannot be captured, unless medically necessary, and only a limited number are allowed to be killed each year.

Return to “Large Critters”