HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PLEASE READ THIS REGARDING TOXIC DOG FOOd viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1463

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 (with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.) FREE TO USE.
(PLEASE USE THE LINK ABOVE, YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

Does anybody own a seal or sealion?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:36 am

Just seen a thread and it got me thinking.

It would be pretty cool to own one but challenging at the same time to create the adequate habitat for one.
If you do please upload pics :D
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Does anybody own a seal or sealion?

Postby sarajeku » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:28 am

Nobody here does. But you could research it for us and let us know what you find! icon_biggin.gif

Here's what I found so far.
http://www.kaycircle.com/Can-you-have-a-Pet-Seal-Legal-Domesticated-Seals
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 pm

sarajeku wrote:Nobody here does. But you could research it for us and let us know what you find! icon_biggin.gif

Here's what I found so far.
http://www.kaycircle.com/Can-you-have-a-Pet-Seal-Legal-Domesticated-Seals

I found out that the common, harbor and grey seals are legal here in the UK :D

This is based off the governments list of excepted 'wild' animals' without having a DWA license.

'The common seal (or harbour seal) and grey
seal are excepted. '

I posted a thread under Laws&Legal issues called 'Legal List In the UK.' If you would like to look at it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Well, here the laws vary by state plus if anything is federally protected, like endangered things and birds. I don't think you could easily have a native seal as states normally ban as pets anything native to the state. I know they even made a movie about this family that did rescue and make a pet of a seal(or sealion) and they got in trouble since you can't do that but it was also a long time ago so they squeaked by, by letting him be free and come and go as he pleased. That sort of thing doesn't fly now a days because you still break the law by taming them in the first place and then letting the tame animals go they deem even worse but it was all fine back then.
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:06 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Well, here the laws vary by state plus if anything is federally protected, like endangered things and birds. I don't think you could easily have a native seal as states normally ban as pets anything native to the state. I know they even made a movie about this family that did rescue and make a pet of a seal(or sealion) and they got in trouble since you can't do that but it was also a long time ago so they squeaked by, by letting him be free and come and go as he pleased. That sort of thing doesn't fly now a days because you still break the law by taming them in the first place and then letting the tame animals go they deem even worse but it was all fine back then.

It's actually legal here in the UK to keep a seal, not sealion but a seal.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 pm

I thought the UK allowed any animal, as long as you had a permit? Can you show me a list of the species they ban?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:53 am

Splashstorm wrote:I thought the UK allowed any animal, as long as you had a permit? Can you show me a list of the species they ban?

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pe ... allist.pdf

It shows what is and what's not excepted. You can get a DWAL (Dangerous Wild Animal License) but they are almost un-heard of in the UK. We have licenses over here not permits. Basically the same thing though. To acquire a license you need to pay the license fees and then annual fees and then vet inspections and more fees on top! There isn't many wild animal breeders that fit into the category of the DWAL in the UK also.
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:04 am

Sorry If I caused any confusion but I mean legal without any license. :)
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:34 am

natashaami777 wrote:It shows what is and what's not excepted. You can get a DWAL (Dangerous Wild Animal License) but they are almost un-heard of in the UK.

That is not actually the case and it varies from county to county how hard it is a acquire a DWAL. In Northamptonshire you cannot have one as there is no county vet but most counties do have a vet and so long as you can tell them about the animal, the care it requires and show them an amazing enclosure you can get a DWAL.

Unlike my firearms certificate a DWAL does not have to state on it what you are entitled to have, you just have one or you don't.

Most DWAL's are held by reptile keepers but I know a fair few people with DWAL's for mammals.

Splashstorm wrote:I thought the UK allowed any animal, as long as you had a permit? Can you show me a list of the species they ban?

As the OP said we do not have licenses here unless you mean the DWAL. So long as an animal is NOT DWAL and is not endangered or protected in some other way then yes, you can have almost anything.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Okay, so to get this straight, if I move to the UK, I can get the DWAL for wolves, lions, spotted hyenas, and camels.

Once I get the DWAL, I can either go and get one from inside the UK, but if there aren't any, I can get them shipped to me. If they ARE shipped, they will have to be quarantined for four months?

Also here is the list of dogs and "dog types" banned in the UK:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndComm ... /DG_180098
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I have attached the application form so you can all see the requirements needed.
Attachments
Dangerous_Animals_App_Form (1).pdf
(83.22 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 am

That's great! I think anyone who is already going to be responsible should have no problems getting this license. Why don't more people move to the UK? lol Not that I want to spread the word. I'd hate for people to realize that this "atrocity" is going on and make stricter rules.

ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 am

It just seems too good to be true to me. There has to be a catch.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 pm

I hope not. :x

ImageImage
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm

I've heard good and bad about the license. I haven't even tried applying yet as I'm not looking into getting any animals that fall into the DWA at the minute. Maybe in 3 or 4 years or something.

Return to “Large Critters”