PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Striped Hyenas

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Striped Hyenas

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:23 am

Here's a really cool video I found of three hand-raised hyenas. Look how loving and gentle they are with people. It's a shame they have such a bad reputation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_YmuSyeaa8

I just love how fluffy their manes are. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the video as much as I did!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Striped Hyenas

Postby sarajeku » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:32 am

How cute! I love striped hyenas. Spotted hyenas aren't as cute.. I just love how fluffy the striped ones are!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am

Oh wow, I shouldn't have watched that video...now I want one XD Wish I could own one here in PA. They're absolutely beautiful.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Hyenas are definitely on my list of animals I would like but I think striped hyenas have now replaced spotted hyenas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfebhiPnTk

Cute video of a pet baby striped.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Omg, that baby hyena is sooo adorable!!!! I never thought hyenas were ugly at all. The spotted ones are especially beautiful.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:21 am

Splashstorm wrote:Omg, that baby hyena is sooo adorable!!!! I never thought hyenas were ugly at all. The spotted ones are especially beautiful.

I agree with you. :icon-wink: They just look so powerful and ethereal to me. Very majestic.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm

Yes exactly! :) I never really considered one as a pet until I watched the hyena on Fatal Attractions. Hyenas seem so friendly and playful, not timid at all. Here is the guy Bryan, from Fatal Attractions, still alive and well (obviously!), visiting his hyena: http://youtu.be/tej89gtf5o8
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:25 am

That was a nice video, I too never got why people thought these animals were "ugly" to me they are one of the better looking animals, what with the stripped and spotted hides. Always did like Hyenas.

I'm gonna have to catch that fatal attractions episode with him.

That house next to the yard they are playing in, beyond the fence, is that his house or a neighbors? The more I see people with exotics in sub divisions, the more I wonder why in the heck dont I have MORE exotics seeing how I have no nextdoor neighbors and some acres to put facilities on.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:05 am

I agree, I examined spotted hyenas closely to see what could be so ugly and the only thing I could come up with would be their oddly shaped neck/upper back? I happen to like their ears and tail and everything else.

Bryan rehomed Jake to a wildlife sanctuary. I doubt he lives that close to it. xD

ImageImage
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 am

Ok I read some more about his Hyena and answered my own question..... NO that is not him in his own backyard with the Hyena and neighbors next door, it was way worse.

He supposedly had the Hyena in a 8th floor apartment lol. Here I was perplexed what the nextdoor neighbors might think of the Hyena on the otherside of the fence.

Hopefully the one thing people can take from his story is think long and hard about the animal and visualize its living conditions with you BEFORE buying it.

Here I am wondering why I am being so slow and conservative with my animal aquisitions and dont have more exotics seeing how I have space, and this dude has a large non-domesticated carnivore in his 8th floor apartment...
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:15 pm

The guy ended up putting the Hyena in a huge, lovely enclosure after that show was aired. He's doing great now.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am

Alynn, do you know if Bryan got Jake back? I know that was a horrible thing he did with keeping the hyena in an apartment, but it ended quite well and Bryan is now going to college for zoology. I think he learned his lesson.

ImageImage
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Hmm related stuff?:

The dude from this thread got his hyena from some small zoo in NJ right?

This one perhaps?:

http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/90 ... losing.asp

Says they have breeding hyena.

Seems like he/they have had a very rough couple of years, hope things go well for the gentleman here on out:

http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/10/31/ ... ire/57253/
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

That's too bad, the zoo has closed and all their animals are sold already :( They had gray wolves too! Lucky whoever snagged those. ;U; Probably just some other zoo though.

Wow, I read the article and that's horrible!! I feel so bad for all those animals that died in the fire. :((

ImageImage

Return to “Large Critters”