PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Striped Hyenas

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Faolchú

Re: Striped Hyenas

Postby Faolchú » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yO7Kzkgtk It really makes me want one.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Faolchú wrote:Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yO7Kzkgtk It really makes me want one.

Pretty. You don't see much about stripeds but they are neat.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Thank-you for posting that. That was a great watch, and is now one of my fav videos. :) Stripeds are a dream animal for me. One day when I can actually afford one, I'd really like one. They're probably the "most dangerous" animal I'd ever want to get. But they do seem really sweet when hand-raised in captivity.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:50 pm

I've always liked striped ones better than the spotted. They do seem to do very well in captivity, probably just because they're so adaptable to environment and circumstance changes in the wild. I'd love to have a small group of my own, haha.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:15 am

Striped hyena is also one of the animals I "must have" if I ever have the opportunity (land, money, living somewhere where it's legal, and I can get my hands on one). I would not be comfy with the spotted hyenas however. ;) Very violent clan life, much more so than wolves (you often see wild hyenas with huge scars or missing ears for example, never seen that on a wolf), and striped hyenas are mostly solitary, like cats and foxes.

Still, they are "bone-crushing hyenas", and could break your arm easily. I don't think they have the same prey drive to suddenly attack a human like the big cats do, however. They seem a lot more like canines there.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Spotted hyenas start their rivalries from the moment they're born; they'll fight and kill siblings sometimes over food and such (I watched a documentary about a female born to the matriarch that, if I remember right, killed her male sibling or at least fought him quite a bit). I don't think spotteds would make great exotic "pets" per se, unless you were keeping them together in a group in a more hands-off environment. A striped, however, I could see someone having one or a few together and being able to interact (cautiously of course and with responsibility) with them regularly. They seem more pack-orientated like wolves rather than the fend-for-yourself attitude the spotted ones have.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Male spotteds are okay for people with experience. They don't fight for dominance as much as the females. One of my FB friends has one(I've not seen him post in ages though). It would help to have big cat experience I think, just to be good at dealing with large animals already. They aren't house pets or for the novice that's for sure though.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:52 pm

wow, they sure are beautiful.

I think it was last year, some kid fell into a hynea pen at a zoo, and they killed the kid.
I think being in a pack makes them dangerous.

having one or two probably would be ok. as TG mentioned, in the hands of owners with experience.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 am

If it was in the UK, those were African wild dogs/painted wolves. And I don't know if the cause of death was ever made public, as what I read was unclear on whether he was killed by the fall or the dogs.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:53 am

From what I read , the autopsy showed the boy died from the mauling, not the fall. I think they had to eventually shoot or beat one last dog off of the corpse that did not want to give it up.

This article says it was in Pennsylvania and they mauled him to death:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/04/to ... vania-zoo/
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 am

yep, got those two mixed up :red-face: so many different species of animals, I get confused.

yes, the one in PA is the one I was referring to. sorry about that..

thank you for clearing that up.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:41 pm

Here's something to make everyone happy - a striped hyena getting a belly-rub.

So vicious, aren't they?
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:00 pm

Aww. Look at that face.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 pm

I can't see pictures like this... They honestly make me go crazy because they're such amazing animals and I want one so BAD!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I am not one for larger, more dangerous animals, but those striped hyenas are adorable! I just want to pet the fluffy mane. :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes