PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hyena's

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lilcuz

Hyena's

Postby Lilcuz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Am I crazy for wanting a male spotted hyena as a pet? My friends and family said I was crazy for even thinking about owning an exotic pet, even though my mom and I are getting a common marmoset in the near future. I just think they're beautiful, smart and all around perfect animals. I've done years of research and stuff, yet everywhere I go, I'm judged for my "crazy idea". I was just curios if anyone else shared my want of these awesome creatures. I'm also wondering what would a captive hyena require in terms of specific diet and companions.
List of animals I'd love to have:

Common Marmoset, Fennec Fox pair, Rock Hyrax, Red Fox, African Wild Dog, Striped Hyena, Grey Wolf, Spotted Hyena, Grizzly Bear, Lion, Wolverine, Giraffe, Komodo Dragon, Silverback Gorilla
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hyena's

Postby Ash » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Lilcuz wrote:Am I crazy for wanting a male spotted hyena as a pet? My friends and family said I was crazy for even thinking about owning an exotic pet, even though my mom and I are getting a common marmoset in the near future. I just think they're beautiful, smart and all around perfect animals. I've done years of research and stuff, yet everywhere I go, I'm judged for my "crazy idea". I was just curios if anyone else shared my want of these awesome creatures. I'm also wondering what would a captive hyena require in terms of specific diet and companions.

It's crazy if you want to leap into ownership without prior experience, lol. :P But if you have experience with exotics, it is not a far-fetched idea at all. In fact, I want hyenas SOOOOO bad. I totally understand your love for them, and the different hyena species are my dream animals. They are some of the most amazing creatures on the planet.

They cost a lot of money to feed and house (not to mention their initial purchase price), and require permits where I'm at. So it will be a while before I can actually own any of the different species. I have my fingers crossed it will be sooner than later though, and I am currently planning out an enclosure. So we'll see. :)

Everywhere you go you will have people call you crazy for wanting to own any exotic pet. Heck, people even call snake owners crazy, and snakes aren't all that exotic. :roll: All I have are foxes (which I consider starter-level exotics for serious keepers) and people think I'm crazy, lol.

As you know, spotted hyenas are strict carnivores. So you would want to feed whole prey items to them. That's what I will do. I'm hoping to start raising my own rabbits to start feeding to my foxes and future animals. Hyenas need to eat all the bones and organs which is why giving them whole prey is essential. If whole prey isn't available, you could always buy a variety of organ meats to supplement their regular diet with. But to me it just seems easier to raise your own food.

Since spotteds eat/chew a lot on bones, it would be good for their teeth to also provide bones for them regularly. Some owners will fast their hyenas and big carnivores one day out of the week, and they just give them bones on that day. The bones also help keep their teeth clean.

They need a large enclosure with low gauge wire (lower is stronger). You will also want it dig proof since hyenas of all species will dig out if they can. Since hyenas have the potential to be very dangerous, you would also need a secondary fence to stop stupid people from going up to the enclosure. And if the hyena happened to escape its primary enclosure, then it would still be confined by the secondary fence.

There have been people who have raised spotted hyenas solitary. They do not need companions. However, if they don't have one, you would have to be sure to spend a lot of time with him or provide a lot of enrichment so he doesn't get bored or lonely (you'd have to do that anyway, of course). Since spotteds have the aggressive hierarchy system, that may also be a reason you wouldn't want them housed together. At zoos and other facilities housing spotteds, it is not uncommon for hyenas to have injuries from other members of their clan. So if you did get more than one, you would need to be sure you could take care of any injuries they received and probably even expect it.

There is a great AZA care sheet on here that I read very often. Here's a link to it: http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=8640. Be sure to check it out. :)

I hope that helps. :) I'm always willing/wanting to talk hyenas since I'm obsessed with them too, lol. I want to get an aardwolf when I'm ready, and then move on to the stripes. Spotteds are awesome too, and it would be really neat to take care of them. To me, all four species are beautiful. I feel their beauty is often overlooked--most people think they look weird or ugly. But their uniqueness makes them very pretty animals to me. I love their manes, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:47 am

I would love to have a striped hyena or two, but since I'm in Europe, it will never happen.

Take a look at a crazy happy hyena here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdljhlvm2G8
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:46 pm

I've seen most of Bryan Hawn's videos on his spotted hyena Jake, and I think he is so adorable! Also, I hadn't thought about how or what to feed my future hyena :P I guess I'll do what you're gonna do and raise rabbits. I'm going to save enough money to buy a house on a 3 acre lot of land in the country part of Alabama. Here, the state law atleast, says no permit at all is needed to own non endangered and non listed animals. I plan on having a fairly medium sized house, but in the back yard, the entire area will be fenced with 8-9 ft tall wooden fence, with an invisible electric fence around it. Enclosure wise, it will be fairly large with a double entrance guillotine style door. 6 feet under the ground of the enclosure will be concrete walls and floor identical to the shape of the enclosure. I'll also have an inside room for him when he wants to come in with fake grass instead of carpet, for a more natural feel. He'll also have free roam when I am there. Of course, I either wont have kids, or I'll wait till the kids are atleast 15. I hope my rambling didn't bore you, but I'm really exited to be old enough to get a hyena :) I hope you have some good luck in your future endeavors. I'll most likely own fennecs, red foxes, and wolves before I get hyena's though :P

Common Marmoset, Fennec Fox pair, Rock Hyrax, Red Fox, African Wild Dog, Striped Hyena, Grey Wolf, Spotted Hyena, Grizzly Bear, Lion, Wolverine, Giraffe, Komodo Dragon, Silverback Gorilla
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:03 am

It sounds like a great plan. :) And no worries about "rambling." I like hearing about other peoples' dreams. And heck, I go on and on sometimes about my own dreams and it's difficult for me to shut-up, lol. If anyone is going to get annoying, it's going to be me! :lol:

Is it the spotteds you have the passion for? Or do you like the other species too?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:00 am

I love all species of hyena, but aardwolves and spotted's are my favorite. Although I would rather have a spotted hyena, because those would seem easier to care for. Striped Hyena's really peaked my interest for awhile seeing as how they're smaller, more docile, and so beautiful looking. But, then I found out it'd be hard to get one in America, as I found no breeders. I really just love all sorts of Hyena's :lol: When I'm older, I plan on breeding a few species of endangered and rare animals for pet trade, zoo's, and wildlife repopulation. Hopefully, if I get the resources, I'll be able to breed Aardwolves, Red Pandas, Giant Pandas, Spotted, Striped, and Brown Hyenas, Tigers and Lions, and other sorts of animals.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Giant Pandas cost 1 million per year to rent from China and any baby's you have belong to China too and need to be returned once they reach 2 years.

It's pretty much impossible to get red pandas too bu if you got AZA licensed them maybe.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:09 pm

._. I didn't know it was so hard to get ahold of breeding panda's of either species. Do you know how hard it'd be to get a breeding pair of Fossa's?

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Just as hard. I know a person with a male but he tried for many years and never found him a mate even when offering to rehome him to someone with a female for free.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:55 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Just as hard. I know a person with a male but he tried for many years and never found him a mate even when offering to rehome him to someone with a female for free.

That fossa was sold to Kapi'yva Exotics, I believe. It is now up for sale again. It's a big shame nobody can find any females. :/ I would almost think you could cut a deal with an AZA zoo or something with an animal as rare as a fossa.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:31 am

Wow. Why is it that most of the really cool and unheard of animals are so rare :cry:

Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

Ash wrote:
TamanduaGirl wrote:Just as hard. I know a person with a male but he tried for many years and never found him a mate even when offering to rehome him to someone with a female for free.

That fossa was sold to Kapi'yva Exotics, I believe. It is now up for sale again. It's a big shame nobody can find any females. :/ I would almost think you could cut a deal with an AZA zoo or something with an animal as rare as a fossa.

Speaking of Kapi'yva Exotics, they have 2 6-7 month old Spotted Hyena cubs that I was fairly interested in. They had such adorable pictures on their Facebook page :lol: This one's my favorite
Attachments
Derpy Hyena.png

Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:37 am

I was looking on YouTube just because I was bored, and this came up recommended. Just thought Ash or others might like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhB0R3pOD_8
aswell as this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ5o31OGykM

Return to “Large Critters”