PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What exotic animal should I start with?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lilcuz

What exotic animal should I start with?

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:06 pm

I couldn't figure out where to put this so I put it here. In my future years, I wish to own a Spotted Hyena, yet I have zero experience with exotics, other than holding marmosets and petting a tiger when I was two :P So, I was wondering what a good starter exotic would be. Preferably mammals, as I get kind of freaked out at reptiles and last time I had a bird, my dog was craving "KFC". I'd also rather not start with rodents as when I get attached to an animal and it dies, I go into an emotional breakdown and barely eat. Something small and not to high maintenance, but can live on average 12 years at least. I was think about this :happyfox: Thanks!
List of animals I'd love to have:

Common Marmoset, Fennec Fox pair, Rock Hyrax, Red Fox, African Wild Dog, Striped Hyena, Grey Wolf, Spotted Hyena, Grizzly Bear, Lion, Wolverine, Giraffe, Komodo Dragon, Silverback Gorilla
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What exotic animal should I start with?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Rabbits have a lifespan of 8-12 years.

Chinchillas about 10 years.

Ferrets are a good started but are only 8 years.

On the bit more advanced but still starter level just a higher starter level, a skunk might be perfect. Captive lifespan is 10-15 years. The hardest part about them is sticking to their diet so they don't get fat and making sure they get plenty of socialization and enrichment.

Edit: Mink are 10 years but are more advanced as they are aggressive and it's kind of hard to get a legal one as I don't know of anyone breeding them for pets just brokering(illegally) from fur farms. If you could find a breeder or USDA licensed broker then they may be an option after lots of research about how to handle and train them. Mink can make good pets for the right person but it takes a lot of work, especially if they aren't bottle raised.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:51 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Rabbits have a lifespan of 8-12 years.

Chinchillas about 10 years.

Ferrets are a good started but are only 8 years.

On the bit more advanced but still starter level just a higher starter level, a skunk might be perfect. Captive lifespan is 10-15 years. The hardest part about them is sticking to their diet so they don't get fat and making sure they get plenty of socialization and enrichment.

Edit: Mink are 10 years but are more advanced as they are aggressive and it's kind of hard to get a legal one as I don't know of anyone breeding them for pets just brokering(illegally) from fur farms. If you could find a breeder or USDA licensed broker then they may be an option after lots of research about how to handle and train them. Mink can make good pets for the right person but it takes a lot of work, especially if they aren't bottle raised.

I was thinking about a skunk, but then I remembered that they are illegal to own in Alabama, but the exact wording confused me. It said "any species of skunk...... from outside the area of the state of Alabama" so I didn't know if that meant that if I DID get a skunk it would have to have been recieved within the state to be legal, or if I could get it from another state, bring it to Alabama, but couldn't bring it back out. If minks are related to mongooses, I believe those are illegal aswell. Although, even if you own an exotic illegally, Alabama doesn't really enforce the exotic animal laws :P I didn't know ferrets and rabbits were considered exotics. When I was younger (about 1 month younger) I wanted a ferret, but did further research and found that they stink and poop almost religiously. I've never had a rabbit, but last time I went to the pet store, a rabbit bit me, then proceeded to urinate and defecate all over my thin silky shirt :red-face: The exotic laws of Alabama really frustrate and confuse me. I can own all the tigers lion bears hyena and wolves in the world, but skunks foxes raccoons and mongooses are to much of a threat to society that they'll address those later :wall: I don't even need permits proving I know what I'm doing. Absolutely NO permits or licenses are required to own ANY animal except endangered species, which I believed is always required in states allowing exotics.

Common Marmoset, Fennec Fox pair, Rock Hyrax, Red Fox, African Wild Dog, Striped Hyena, Grey Wolf, Spotted Hyena, Grizzly Bear, Lion, Wolverine, Giraffe, Komodo Dragon, Silverback Gorilla
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:02 pm

Mink aren't in the mongoose family but they might fall under some sort of fur law.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 pm

How much room do you have? Wallabies live 12-15 years, barring major health issues, like contracting lumpy jaw or toxo. They need lots of time outside. Really once grown should be outside critters who can visit inside if you want. I worked with them and we never had any get seriously ill just runny poop but even rarely that. They are probably more a low median exotic due to their potential health issues but many people do get them as starters.

Get the new Macropod Husbandy, Healthcare & Medicines book by Lynda Staker. It's $200 but get one for you and your vet. It covers all health issues, how to treat and recognize them as well as all the basics.

---

Oh maybe a Mara, aka patagonian cavy. They are not too hard to get and pretty hardy. More of a beginner than a wallaby, similar way to keep them though, mostly outside. 10-14 years.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:45 pm

At the moment, I've got half an acre so now isn't a good time to get a wallaby, but in the next 4-5 years, I'll be getting a 50 acre land in the middle of the country with little to no disturbances. I've certainly thought about getting a wallaby, preferably a bennets, but in my current situation, I'm still going through school and haven't got the money to care for anymore than my Border Terrier and Dachshund/Min Pin :P In a year or two, my mother and I are getting a common marmoset, as we've both dreamed for years of having some sort of primate. I know for a fact marmosets should be one of the last animals I get if im going by maintenance and simplicity but we found a breeder that sells babies for 2500 only 1 hour away which is much better than other deals we've seen. *cough Michael Poggi's 5000 dollar monkeys for a 12hr drive cough*

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Hmm, so I'm assuming nothing that needs an outdoor enclosure. I would suggest a red fox as a more advanced starter, but they require outdoor enclosures. So probably wouldn't be an option in your current situation.

Looking at your list of wanted animals, maybe you could start with a fennec fox. A fennec would be easier than a marmoset, and you'll be able to get experience with your mom's marmoset when she acquires hers. So you'll already have exotic experience under your belt (not to mention experience with primates, which seem far more needy and hard than any fox).

Fennecs are indoor only (for the most part), and are considered "easy" as far as exotic pets go. I wouldn't say they're less maintenance than the other exotics TG mentioned--they're probably more work (well, mink might take more or the same amount of work/patience).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:41 am

Ash wrote:Hmm, so I'm assuming nothing that needs an outdoor enclosure. I would suggest a red fox as a more advanced starter, but they require outdoor enclosures. So probably wouldn't be an option in your current situation.

Looking at your list of wanted animals, maybe you could start with a fennec fox. A fennec would be easier than a marmoset, and you'll be able to get experience with your mom's marmoset when she acquires hers. So you'll already have exotic experience under your belt (not to mention experience with primates, which seem far more needy and hard than any fox).

Fennecs are indoor only (for the most part), and are considered "easy" as far as exotic pets go. I wouldn't say they're less maintenance than the other exotics TG mentioned--they're probably more work (well, mink might take more or the same amount of work/patience).

A fennec is one of the animals I thought's be good, but in Alabama, foxes of any species are prohibited, even though they have no intention of enforcing said law. I don't understand why harmless animals such as foxes and skunks are prohibited, but I can have a whole pride of lions without even thinking about a permit for legality, as I don't need one :stars:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Maybe a flying squirrel? They live up to 15 years but maybe smaller than you were looking for. Foolishly I can't get one from a breeder here. We can only keep wild caught squirrels but many places allow them.
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm

What are flying squirrels like?

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:44 pm

They are nocturnal but are affectionate(long as you get them young and socialize them) and like to sleep in your pocket or a bonding pouch(even though not marsupials). They are pretty hyper when they are awake but will spend most of their time jumping onto you.

Here's a breeder page: http://www.jandaexotics.com/Flying_Squirrel.html
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:02 pm

You say you already have two dogs, so I respectfully ask, what is your plan for feeding and caring for an exotic as well? Are you planning on having a well-paying job once you're out of school? And how soon are you looking to getting this exotic you're talking about in this thread?

Since foxes, raccoons, rodents, ferrets, reptiles or birds are out of the question...and I'm guessing fish aren't on your wishlist either (haha), suggestions are kinda hard to give.

You could try a dog that isn't just a Lab or Shepherd, or any other "common" breed. You could experience working around a non-kibble diet for a "real" exotic by cooking and making food for the dog as well as feeding some raw stuff, instead of just buying bags of dog food. Instead of looking at him/her as "just a dog" try to get a better understanding of how the animal works, mentally and physically.

Instead of looking for any exotic to settle on (I came here in 2008 looking for info on skunks as pets and I thought I was "totally ready" to get one, in high school, without a job lol) get a legal, manageable animal to care for and build knowledge on until you get to a point in life where you can devote the time, space, money and energy for an exotic. It doesn't sound like Alabama is a good place for exotics unless you already have many years of experience. I wouldn't take whatever I could get right now that was exotic over something I really wanted.

Just a suggestion. Personally I am planning on getting a more rare breed of dog as my next pet over an exotic (the most exotic pet I've had are rats, though I'd like to try and raise a fox or skunk). My current list of dog breeds I have in mind are the Akita, Borzoi and Sarplaninac. There really is a breed for almost everyone who likes dogs.

I'm not trying to turn you off to the idea of getting an exotic as a whole, but I think in your current situation, given your parameters for what you want, I'd forgo one right now and maybe focus on the care and raising aspect of pets in general, until you have better resources available. Build up your confidence and knowledge to raise an animal, build a bond with it, that sort of thing.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Lilcuz

Postby Lilcuz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 pm

Thank you Juska for your well thought out response (sorry if that sounded sarcastic, It was actual gratitude). The most "exotic" breed of dog I can think of are Chihuahua's and those annoy the crap outta me :lol: I would like a Gampr Dog, but my mother isn't fond of dogs bigger than her. I don't necessarily want the exotic now, since I have no job atm. I meant to mention this is for near future references, but I guess I forgot, so sorry. I'm also sorry for making choices so difficult. A fox raccoon or skunk would've been my first choices, but they're sadly illegal. My next choice would be rodents, but I get to distressed when my animals die to soon. I've decided I'll get a flying squirrel, but sadly not until my Buddy is gone. He has to high of a prey drive. Last time I got a guinea pig and tried to safely introduce it to my dachshund by covering his entire body with my hand. Buddy seemed okay with it, giving her kisses and "protecting" it from my other dog. He was really making sure HE ate it, as I found out when I put her on the floor assuming Buddy would protect her. I was wrong. And then my Buddy got a little sick because he wasn't used to raw meat. I can handle myself and 2 animals financially at a time, but I tried three and had to give my new Dalmatian away :icon-frown: On the note of getting an exotic I want over getting what I could take, with me usually as long as it's a mammal, I want it. From Mice to Elephants, and everything in between, I want it. With only one exception, being Chihuahua's. On the note of your last part, I'd rather never have an exotic at all, then have one, but constantly struggle with knowledge and resources that'll stress myself and the animal out. Thank you for reading my rambling.

Return to “Large Critters”