PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ranger

Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Postby Ranger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:39 pm

I've often wondered if it was possible myself, but there is very limited information on the subject. I think it is possible, however, since hyenas have a pack mentality, but I just don't know for sure. I have heard some stories and seen some pictures that encourage me. If it is possible to raise one to be happy and non-aggressive like wolf or dog, where could I get one with out going through an expensive permit/import/quarantine process from Africa?

Attached is a photo of a woman sharing face-to face affection with a hyena. I'd like to know what every body's thoughts are.
Attachments
1164235226014.jpg
1164235226014.jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:00 pm

I read here actually that they where once at mount hope ohio auction. Other then that I would want one too, but who knows...
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:46 pm

I have also seen them on websites for sale. African animals seem easier to get ahold of, maybe the export/import laws are looser, or maybe because they are game animals on game ranches for hunting. Maybe they would be like having a wolverine since they are both weasal like in ascestery
Tiffany
Ranger

Postby Ranger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Lasergrl wrote:I have also seen them on websites for sale. African animals seem easier to get ahold of, maybe the export/import laws are looser, or maybe because they are game animals on game ranches for hunting. Maybe they would be like having a wolverine since they are both weasal like in ascestery
Tiffany

Do you have any links to sites that sell these african animals? Also, what about those game ranches here in the United States that let you hunt African wildlife. I know they exist because 20/20 did a story on them a long time ago, but I can't seem to find any information on them.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:39 pm

the website was exotichobbyist.com. They were listed in the classifieds and were imported babies. Truly importing is no big deal as long as its not an endangered species. Heck I had a sandcat imported, the exporters do all the work!
The game ranches are big business. They are mostly located in Texas, you can easily find them doing a web search. these are not canned hunts like tv want you to think. They are flighty wild animals that are fenced in, but this is (usually) on thousands of acres, so no different then scouting the woods in a suburban area for deer :roll:

There is a nice place by me jungleislandzoo.com they dont sell carnivores but they do have some unusual hoofstock!

Tiffany
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Yeah Pua was imported but I let a profesional importer do all the work for me.

For really cool Hyena as "pets" keep an eye out for "growing up Hyena" on AP. Was at a wildlife park but bottle raised and sweet animals for programes was sooo cool.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:53 pm

yes we drove by lots of them in TX very nice and loved seeing the few animals you could. Elk and black buck. But for the miles and miles of fenced areas only saw a few so seems a pretty fair hunt really to try and find one in all of that. Really one fenced area would go on for miles and didn't always even see anything in there driving by.
Ranger

Postby Ranger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:29 pm

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:Yeah Pua was imported but I let a profesional importer do all the work for me.

For really cool Hyena as "pets" keep an eye out for "growing up Hyena" on AP. Was at a wildlife park but bottle raised and sweet animals for programes was sooo cool.

It airs Feb 27th, at 2:00pm central. I've got my media center set to record it. Thanks for sharing.

http://animal.discovery.com/tvlistings/ ... hannel=APL
Ranger

Postby Ranger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 pm

HyzenthlayForesight wrote:Yeah Pua was imported but I let a profesional importer do all the work for me.

How do you go about finding these professionals. Who does things like that?
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 pm

Yes, I am curious how you got Pua too...I mean tamanduas are not as easy to get as a fox...

Oh, ranger, you got a PM. :)
Ranger

Postby Ranger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:15 am

I just checked the USDI web page on listed species and the spotted hyena is not listed, which means that it can be transported across state lines without a Recovery and Interstate Commerce Permit (section 10(a)(1)(A).

Your tax dollars at work:
http://www.fws.gov/Endangered/wildlife.html#Species
cl0ud77

Postby cl0ud77 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:08 am

I am intrested in knowing how you get ahold of profesional importers too. I was trying to look for one online with no results at all
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:56 am

I just know a few and think they specialize in south american animals
http://www.zoologicalimports.com/
http://www.worldexoticsinc.com/index2.htm
Aline reptiles and a few just with person(not business names)

mostly word of mouth and a few ads posted on the net.

I'd think animal finders guide might help but I've not tried it myself yet.
snakeman

Postby snakeman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:20 pm

in the exotic hobbist there's a lesser ant eater that looks allot like pua, it's expensive but if I had the $$$ I'd get it , they're nice. john
prk22

Postby prk22 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:59 am

I would like a lesser anteater...though in reading up on them, there is a lot of things that sparks questions to me. More reading is in order for sure.
~Pätrick

Return to “Large Critters”