PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Re: Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Postby the_unstable » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Elina wrote:
Ash wrote:Elina, you make one gorgeous vampiress! :icon-wink:

the_unstable wrote:Agreeing with Ash.

Thanks guys :icon-wink: .

Sadly the woman who manipulated the photo died this week :icon-frown: , she was only 25 (same age as me).

Oh that is horrible :( So young. May she rest in peace.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 am

Aww, that's so sad : ( That picture of you as a vamp was gorgeous btw.
Well, about hyenas as pets, I heard they make very affectionate non-aggressive pets. They are very destructive so they would need an outdoor enclosure, but other than that they shouldn't be any more work than a wolf. The males have no drive to "fight for leadership" and are very docile and submissive. Females are a different story but they aren't any more dangerous than a lot of the other exotics talked about on this forum.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
BB

Postby BB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 am

oh WOW! Totally missed that thread and I have to admit I only wanted to see Elina's vamp pic - which is AWESOME!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Splashstorm wrote:Females are a different story but they aren't any more dangerous than a lot of the other exotics talked about on this forum.

Well, I wouldn't quite say that. Aside from bears and exotic cats I'd say they are definitely a lot more potentially dangerous than other exotics--mainly because of how powerful their bite is. If their bite wasn't able to crunch bone so easily, they'd probably be on the same level as a wolf.

I've actually thought a lot about hyenas, and for the longest time I decided I did not want to get a striped or a spotted (even though I love them). But after doing a lot of reading and research on how they are in captivity, I've actually changed my mind. So I'll chalk up hyenas to my list of dream pets again. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Their bite is strong but its highly unlikely the males would ever use it against you. In the pack all males are below even the lowest ranking females. They make no move to try to rise in rank. I really want a spotted hyena one day as well. :) They're so gentle and affectionate towards humans they've bonded with.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Splashstorm wrote:Their bite is strong but its highly unlikely the males would ever use it against you. In the pack all males are below even the lowest ranking females. They make no move to try to rise in rank. I really want a spotted hyena one day as well. :) They're so gentle and affectionate towards humans they've bonded with.

Yeah, I definitely think the males would make the safer pet too. Most animals in captivity can be really sweet and affectionate. If I do get some hyenas I wouldn't want to keep them together in a clan. I'd like to see how they behave when they're just pairs.

Here's something very interesting though!

I was watching a documentary on captive hyenas. The keepers had removed the "outcasts" from the main clan and had put them in their own little "underling" clan. The underling males actually began to try to assert themselves more since they weren't being "put in their place" on a regular basis.

I think that I would definitely go with a spotted male though. Not nearly as much testosterone to have to deal with... Hyenas are so weird....
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Are striped so... odd? Or is it just the spotted?
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 am

@Ash, that is interesting..! Hyenas just are really odd. I dont know much about striped hyenas but the way spotted hyenas give birth is just shocking. I'm sure most people have heard about this, but the female has to literally rip her fake penis with her teeth to get her babies out. O_O"

ImageImage
Ciaobella

Postby Ciaobella » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:23 am

Splashstorm wrote:@Ash, that is interesting..! Hyenas just are really odd. I dont know much about striped hyenas but the way spotted hyenas give birth is just shocking. I'm sure most people have heard about this, but the female has to literally rip her fake penis with her teeth to get her babies out. O_O"

Woah :shock:
Was Cierpke, lost password xD
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 pm

amyers wrote:Are striped so... odd? Or is it just the spotted?

No. Striped hyenas adhere to the laws of nature. ;)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Though this is an interesting read. That is, if this kind of stuff interests you, lol.

http://www.montana.edu/wwwbi/staff/creel/hhmasc.pdf
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:59 pm

Slightly unrelated, but if that Russian broker is using other people's images like Elina's which isn't exactly a trustworthy sign, does anyone know if they're scammers or not? I'm seeing a lot of mustelids on their list I'd be interested in in the distant future, it would be good to have them in mind if they were legit.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:43 am

Has anyone heard of this (rather old) story?
A South Carolina man keeping a Striped Hyena in his backyard, then having it taken away, because it was a "dangerous and vicious animal" (not that the Hyena did anything, it was just "vicious").
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=314867
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:35 pm

That is so ridiculous! No one was complaining, the hyena was legal, yet STILL confiscated?!?!

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes and the actual reason it was taken was a technicality. The law at the time didn't ban ownership but banned exhibition to the public. They decided since you could stand on tip toes and cock your head and peer over the fence to see it that it counted as exhibition and took it away. I had been following the guy on DA when it happened. They wouldn't even let him have it back to take out of state.

Return to “Large Critters”