ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kibalover667

Re: Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Postby Kibalover667 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:45 pm

http://www.wildthingsinc.com/html/misc__oddballs.html

I don't know if anyone is interested in this link but there is some info on raising a hyena. Not to much but some. i didn't explore the whole site just this page, I stumbled onto it randomly. :mrgreen:
Proud owner of a Cat named Oscar, a Kitten named Kleo, a dog named Hershey, and an arctic fox named Kovu.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks for finding that. I'll probably wind up calling or emailing them to ask questions. That last pic of the hyena... wow, they're huge....
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 pm

I know, I was very surprised at that size, too... That's crazy! Looks about the size of a wolf. I wonder if he is full grown in the picture? Let us know what you find out, Ash. I am very interested!
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:01 pm

How do you go about finding a "professional importer"?

I am curious as to how you imported the animals! If anyone could tell me a bit more about the process I'd love to hear it as I am having trouble learning about importing animals into Canada
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I only know about the ones in USA you hear of them word of mouth mostly but some will sometimes advertise animals and they have websites but again not easy to find unless you already know of them. Most will only sell to people that have a USDA license already so they don't have to as concerned with checking to be sure you aren't a nut.

Zoological imports is decent but I don't know if he will also export for people in other countries.
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Ahh I see! That's interesting. I wonder if there are any here in Canada.

I emailed him and I guess we'll see!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Kaylak, are you thinking about getting some anytime soon? Or are you asking for future purposes? Just curious, because if you're seriously going to be getting hyenas, we'll have to talk! :) I definitely want to hear about any experiences with them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I am asking for future for sure!

I want to learn about every animal possible haha. I am like a sponge when it comes to keeping exotic animals, I just love to learn. I'm browsing through animals, haven't quite decided what I'd like to get yet!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Cool, I feel like I'm in the same "stage." Window-shopping and learning. I think in about a year I'm going to explode and get tons of pets, lol, because I'm pretty sure I'll be in a good situation then.
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Hahaha yes me too!

I am window shopping right now too. I want so many different types of animals. I am going to save up and pursue a degree in Zoology and just spend the rest of my life with animals and I'll be happy to do so!
bailee

Postby bailee » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:28 pm

I don't know much about Hyenas (spotted mainly) (though I find them awfully cute!), I would be careful about considering one as a pet... they have extremely strong jaws (though you probably knew that!).

I was just watching an Animal Planet "Fatal Attractions" episode about people with Spotted Hyenas as pets... one man, named Bryan, had this Spotted Hyena- named Jake I believe, and loved the pup to death... But since it was illegal to own a Hyena where he lived and Jake controlled his life (the little bugger was a destructive pup and Bryan literally had to sell all of his other pets -chinchillas, birds, sugar glider- because he had to devote all of his time to the pup!), he decided to give him up to a wild animal center since the law made it possible for him to not be fined if he did so- and as Bryan was putting him into a crate to take him there, poor Jake got all freaked and claustrophobic, panicked, and bit Bryan. His arm broke... and even though Jake didn't do it on purpose, such a break sounds horrifying...

Obviously that is a worst case scenario- but something to think about! :)

But if you do get a Hyena in the future... good luck- and pics pics pics!!!
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Well, if you get a pet hyena, you should know what you're doing in the first place, and you're choosing to put your life at risk by doing so. Most people know that hyenas can break a human's arm with their teeth, and I'm sure it came to no surprise to this guy. If it did come as a surprise, he should not have had a pet hyena.
bailee

Postby bailee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 pm

No... it did not come to a surprise to him. He knew what Hyenas could do. I was just putting in my input... :/.......

I think he still sees Jake to this day at the rescue he is at.
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 am

I will definitely share pics when I get my hyenas. ;) I'm hoping for aardwolves at first though--but maybe I'll branch off to the other species after that.

I think hyenas are one of the most fascinating animals there is out there.

I'm glad he still gets to see his hyena. It's a shame he couldn't keep him.

And you're right--that IS for sure something to keep in mind when thinking about getting a hyena. They can certainly do damage and have the potential to kill you. Anybody thinking about getting a striped or a spotted should probably read that story.
bailee

Postby bailee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:23 am

Ohh, I'll definitely be looking forward to that c;
What are aardwolves like? I've heard of them but I do not know much about them!

Yeah, hyenas are awesome. I love drawing them! But I couldn't get one... Too worrying for me!

Yeah, it was sad. You could tell he really wanted to keep him (he was totally about to cry just telling the story), but it was against the law of his state and he figured his hyena would be happier going outside and such and not being stuck in an apartment. Good intentions, bad way of executing them, really.

Yeah, they should. Any future-hyena momma's/daddy's would just have to be prepared in case that ever happened... because it's not always them 'mad' or how many people say 'they turned on him!'... he was just scared! -sorry for any awkward typing... i cut my finger a week or so back.. and just did it again in the SAME spot....... almost cut the tip off... so now i'm one-handed typing :c
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)

Return to “Large Critters”