ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hyenas as pets?!?! Pick included.

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 am

I don't know if I'll really ever get the bigger ones, despite how much I would love one. I want kids, so I wouldn't want to leave them with a handicapped mother in case I was injured by a hyena.

Aardwolves aren't dangerous. They are insectivorous hyenas and have temperaments like foxes. So they're super skittish. In the wild they often lose their teeth since they don't use them much for anything.

The fact that they're not aggressive makes me think they would be great pets. They do mark and paste, but I think if they were bottle-raised they would become really bonded. We'll have to see though. I only know of one other person who has aardwolves, but I don't think they've bred. I can't wait until I can get some pairs and some babies.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
bailee

Postby bailee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:01 am

Yeah... that might not be good!

I plan on a fox and serval sometime in the future. Maybe not at the same time.. but I'm 18 so I have a lot of time ahead of me to figure that out!

Ohh, Aardwolves sound cool. I'll probaby go look them up now. I love learning about new wild canines and felines!

I wish you luck!
    Sabriel (rabbit - male)
    Silas (rabbit - male)
    Solara (rabbit - female)
    Natasha (cat - female)
    Pepper (cat - female)
    Kiba (dog - male)
    Lady (dog - female)
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:45 am

Ken's exotics imports both striped hyenas and spotted hyenas:
http://shorttailedopossum.tripod.com/serval_prices.htm

However, I feel I should point some things out. Hyenas are not in the canine family. This is important to note because they can be alot more dangerous to handle than any wolf, wolfdog,coyote, or fox.

Spotted Hyenas(as you can see from the photos posted with one standing next to the adult guy) are HUGE compared to gray wolves(the biggest of all canid species).

But it's not just size that makes them dangerous. They have the strongest bite force of all mammals. Which means if one decides to attack, there's no way you're going to be able to pry its jaws off of you and it also means that the bite can be very serious and deadly.

And to top that off, in the wild, the way they kill their prey is by disembowling,which is esentially eating it alive by ripping its insides out. Not a very pleasant way to leave the world if the hyena's prey instinct kicks in because you accidentally trip on something or you become frightened or you run too fast.

As for the part about prey insinct, that can happen with any carnivore. In some cases even with domestic dogs,but the way other carnivores kill for the most part isn't as brutal as the way hyenas kill.

Also, hyenas have an even stricter hierachy then wolves and will fight for domanance. It's the females that are dominant; so males should be ok in this respect. However, it's impossible to tell male and female hyenas apart from each other without DNA testing because as odd as it sounds, females hyenas(and they are the only mammal that does) have reproductive parts extremely simiar to the ones on males. The only differences is that they have a small unnoticable hole at the bottom of it for the offspring to come out,but it's only noticable during birthing when it expands.

This not to say that I don't think hyenas make good pets or that I don't think you should have them. I just think you should know exactly what you are getting yourself into before you decide to buy one just thinking that a hyena would be a cool pet to have. Hyenas can be just as dangerous if not more in some ways than big cats (like lions or tigers) and bears are.

P.S. Aardwolves(in spite of the name) are not canines either. They are related to hyenas. Hyenas are generally classified as feliforms(cat-like mammals), in spite of their canine-like appearance.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:42 pm

caninesrock wrote:Also, hyenas have an even stricter hierachy then wolves and will fight for domanance. It's the females that are dominant; so males should be ok in this respect.

This is just in the spotted hyena. Brown it's alpha male.

Striped they don't live in "packs" though like foxes females may have some older kid helpers with the litter so can have small family groups. They are mostly scavengers and not territorial. Stripped are also only 50-100 pounds.

I knew the fella that had the stripped hyena Bubbles before he was confiscated for a bogus interpretation of city law. It played with his Chinese crested. He was just under 2 years old.

Also not all have the same genitalia that is just the spotted. They do still have very strong jaws though for crushing bone so still are a danger.

If we are counting Aardwolf though they are very small have very week teeth and live in pairs.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:00 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
caninesrock wrote:Also, hyenas have an even stricter hierachy then wolves and will fight for domanance. It's the females that are dominant; so males should be ok in this respect.

This is just in the spotted hyena. Brown it's alpha male.

Striped they don't live in "packs" though like foxes females may have some older kid helpers with the litter so can have small family groups. They are mostly scavengers and not territorial. Stripped are also only 50-100 pounds.

I knew the fella that had the stripped hyena Bubbles before he was confiscated for a bogus interpretation of city law. It played with his Chinese crested. He was just under 2 years old.

Also not all have the same genitalia that is just the spotted. They do still have very strong jaws though for crushing bone so still are a danger.

If we are counting Aardwolf though they are very small have very week teeth and live in pairs.

All of my info above was on the spotted hyena as that's what the OP seemed to being talking about since the picture is a lady with a spotted hyena. I am aware of the differences between the hyena species.

Spotted Hyenas(as you can see from the photos posted with one standing next to the adult guy) are HUGE compared to gray wolves(the biggest of all canid species).

But it's not just size that makes them dangerous. They have the strongest bite force of all mammals. Which means if one decides to attack, there's no way you're going to be able to pry its jaws off of you and it also means that the bite can be very serious and deadly.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Okay then it was your formatting that threw me off. You started with both stripped and spotted then the paragraph about hierarchy and genitalia were not attached to the previous ones you quoted as you had stuff about other species breaking it up and just said hyenas. Not to pick apart what you wrote just explaining myself.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:44 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Okay then it was your formatting that threw me off. You started with both stripped and spotted then the paragraph about hierarchy and genitalia were not attached to the previous ones you quoted as you had stuff about other species breaking it up and just said hyenas. Not to pick apart what you wrote just explaining myself.

Oh. I see now. Sorry about that. The way I posted was kind of confusing.

Taigafox

Postby Taigafox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 pm

http://zoo-ekzo.ru/index.php?act=k&code=02&i=142
The largest offer of animals, which I have seen. But in Russia.
There are hyenas and a lot of big cats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Oh, wow. So those are all for sale?

Anybody know how to use google translator? I've never used it before.

Thanks for posting that!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 pm

I don't think so. They seem to be random pics from the web just showing the type of species.

You put the url into the text box then click on the link to the side or cop and paste the text from the site into the box. You can leave "from" as detect language and then "to" English.
Taigafox

Postby Taigafox » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Yes, the pictures only show available spicies.
Taigafox

Postby Taigafox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 am

I emailed them. In start about a foxes.
Fennecus zerda - 76 000 rub
Vulpes corsac - 28 000 rub
Alopex lagopus - 35 000 rub
vulpes vulpes (black, red, white, pearl-colored) - 25 000 rub
(1000 rub= 10$)
And
Otocyon megalotis - 2 000 euro
Taigafox

Postby Taigafox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 am

Taigafox wrote:I emailed them. In start about a foxes.
Fennecus zerda - 76 000 rub
Vulpes corsac - 28 000 rub
Alopex lagopus - 35 000 rub
vulpes vulpes (black, red, white, pearl-colored) - 25 000 rub
(1000 rub= 10$)
And
Otocyon megalotis - 2 000 euro

EDIT : 1000 rub= 40$, I am sorry, I mess something.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Do they have any mongooses? I'm not ready to get any, any time soon but I'd love to know of a source and prices. If they can what species? There's only a few species legal in the USA. I know I didn't see any on their list but thought maybe.
Taigafox

Postby Taigafox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

In pics I can see than they have Dwarf Mongoose and yellow mongoose.
viktorios@inbox.ru
But you can emailed to this email. This person understands English and he answers English.
Ask prices.

Return to “Large Critters”