PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Binturong, Aardwolf

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kastrophee

Binturong, Aardwolf

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Are Bintorongs or Aardwolfs known to be in the US exotic pet trade? (Is it possible to get them or is it like the red panda and they are impossible to get)

Edit: I think I heard of bints before and there are plenty of references of them being pets and I think getting the aardwolf is just a matter of finding someone who deals with them...
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:51 pm

I guess I will go against my better judgement and answer. Aardwolf are CITE's III. You need to find an exporter if you want to get one. I would asume they would be easy to get if you get the right exporter. Of course the countries in africa regulate the species, and It may be a species they wont allow out for some reason or another.
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks...

Edit: Now you answered my question instead of sending me on a wild goose hunt, that was helpful...
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Since they are still a regulated species by CITES there is the paper work for that, and of course the actualy importation. I would suggest though, to see if your state/county/city allows hyenadae. Most do not. I also believe that in oregon they are a species that is not allowed. I know they are not allowed in Wa state here, and there are many other places that ban them aswell.
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:59 pm

I am going to say this, I completely answered your questions in the past, and I have found that no one else had trouble understanding my response. Now, I answered this question for you, but this is a question easily answered online (for the most part). I suggest that you make use of many of the exotic animal groups there are in the net, not just to find breeders/dealers/brokers, but if you should have any questions that we cannot answer, you have a back up resource.
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:02 pm

Aardwolf is legal in Oregon and so are bints...

They are both non-regulated...

And lets just drop the other discussion...
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:36 pm

You're sure they are unregulated? Mary said that if they are on the list of unregulated they are okay, but if they are not on the list they are to be considered banned. You must also check county/city regulations. For instance my state doesnt ban them outright, but most counties/cities dont let you have them.
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 pm

They are on the list as non-controlled, look for yourself...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/div ... egrity.asp

(Click mammels (pdf) at the bottom of the page and then look on page, 2)

I left a message for the city of eugene/Lane County, and I am waiting for them to call back. Though i have a feeling Eugene isn't strict on exotics, I already know that I can have a tam there so I will just have to wait and see and also, you are right, giant anteaters are expensive, the only place I know of that has them avaible said they are 10,000 plus, I still think it will be money well spent, I mean if I don't pay what they want I will never be able get a giant, though I will have to get the money first and that can take a looong time, heh...

Oh, where did you get the prices for those animals?
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:53 pm

I got the prices from prominent breeders on the web. Those prices are basicly the figures out there. Thats good they are uncontrolled since you want one, but I think that eugene would be strict on carnivores. Thats the way it is with alot of the places, banning the carnivores, and leaving the smaller less "dangerous" stuff unregulated. 10,000 dollars is alot for an animal that few but zookeepers experience. I mean, imagine the loss of 10,000 dollars if you get one. The only way I would do It is if I got a pair, and sell the babies to zoo parks. I think aardwolves would be expensive, and then the cost of importing, plus the other paperwork that goes with being a CITE's animal (even if they are of the lowest tier).
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 pm

As I said, if I can't afford an animal I won't get it, but if I can and know how to care for them and it is legal, then I will get one...

Oh, for them being legal in the city I will have to wait and see...
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Exactly, dont get it if you cant afford it, and do get it if you want it A and i you can take care of it B. The problem you will face is that, you want to get a few exotics, and then add some later on as you go. You never know in 5-10 years if the animals you want now will still be legal then. I would advise you to get active in the different communities, phoenix exotics, fcc, ect, and see what you can do to help fight legislation.

As for my own situation, since I have such a small house, it isnt the best place for indoor exotics. I am however finnaly in a spot I can get a primate. I actualy havent narrowed down what species I want. I have been looking into mams and tamrins.

The real bugger is the planning it takes... you think you are ready, then you find out something that throws you for a loop. You dont know what your life holds in the future, you may get married, have kids... get a high paying job in China lol... Im glad you are not diving in blind, but researching books isnt everything(lol im going to say it again) Real life experience is invaluable. I consider my years at the game park extremely important. I know how to prepare meals, keep wolves busy, bottle feed baby bison, and avoid giraffes hooves (O.O you better avoid them lol) ASAP volunteer somewhere, you will love it, and gain valuable insight.
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:20 pm

As soon as someone replies and tells me which places will count as experience hours I will look into getting voleenteer work, but the animals I am checking to see if are legal or not I could be getting in 6 months or 1 year (Once I move), or it could be 5 years, so I might as well start preparing now....

And for my plans for the future, I will want to plan around the animals....

Well, good luck with your primeape, but I thought you said you where going to get a kinkajou...
sueBear

Postby sueBear » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:34 pm

Kinkajou's are just an animal I am interested in. They are about the same size and wieght as a Capuchin, and both are very intelligent. I think they would make a great pair, come from the same area in the world, like simmilar foods, ect. There is also no risk of predator/prey incidents ;)

I would start working somewhere while you are waiting for the list of what would count as "offical" experience. Any experience is valuable, and getting lots of it is a good thing. Maybe there is a game farm or petting zoo near you, that would be great place to start.
Kastrophee

Postby Kastrophee » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:05 pm

Well, I am already been checking into to it, I haven't found anything yet...
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:47 pm

Well if you are basing tams being legal in Eugene on me, don't, Ha. I don't live in Eugene just near by.

Return to “Large Critters”