PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hyenas, Cape dogs, and Aardwolves (oh my)

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tangentwolf

Hyenas, Cape dogs, and Aardwolves (oh my)

Postby Tangentwolf » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:32 pm

Heh heh...the title is a really wierd part of my 'wish list' that will most likely never come true. The hyenas being truly dangerous and the aardwolves probably near impossible to keep because of their diet. Does anyone else out there have a 'pipedream' like me? I have a huge list of animals that I love (which is most...but the list is restricted to critters that I wouldn't mind sharing property or home with). I've got my rheas, will be getting emus and if I ever win the lottery or make it big would love to have an African savannah in my 'backyard'... I sent a partial wishlist to a friend of mine and she didn't have any idea what most of the critters were! :lol: But she learned...heh heh. It seems that most of you though have gotten your 'dream' critters and are very happy. I get alot of the "it belongs in the wild" flak from people. Well, if that wasn't a tangent I don't know what is :) Anyhoo, what are Your wishlists? Maybe I'll share more of mine later :wink:
I'm lucky to have a hubby who has given me a 'no' list...it only contains goats, peacocks, ferrets and ostriches...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:55 am

Tangentwolf

I have heard the hyenas are danerous too.. even though they don't look dangerous. :lol:

what is a aardwolves? never heard of them.. can you find any pictures of them?

ok, you ask for what animals I would like to have..
an elephant, a giraffe, a camel and some monkies. but, I would need lots of money and time to care for them. :lol:
of course I am still happy with all my critters I have now..

thanks for sharing your dream.

pat
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Tangentwolf

Postby Tangentwolf » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:06 pm

Cool! Another person that wants a Giraffe! Heh heh, me too...I even looked up the prices on them, ugh....Lottery Time! LOL

Aardwolves are a long time ago relative of the hyena. Their teeth are peglike (think armadillo?) but they have their canines if they need them.
They only eat termites so may be tricky to keep...They eat two species of termites, one in summer one in winter.
Attachments
aardwolf.jpg
with neck ruff spread
aardwolf.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
aardwolf1.jpg
Awww...what a face!
aardwolf1.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
aardwolf2.jpg
Stylin' stripes
aardwolf2.jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
I'm lucky to have a hubby who has given me a 'no' list...it only contains goats, peacocks, ferrets and ostriches...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:47 am

they are so cute, they look freiendly, but looks could be deceiving..
I can definately see the resemblence of a hyena.

I believe the girraffe are very expensive, as would be an elephant.
not to mention to the feed for them..

oh, there is one more animal I want to add to my list.
a kohala bear..
they are so cute. I dont even think there are any here in the us.

pat

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:54 am

here is a link to some pictures of kohla bears

http://www.1000pictures.com/animals/koala/

pat

Bmeier

Postby Bmeier » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:40 am

Tangentwolf...

I've really enjoyed reading your posts, and like you I like to dream of all the animals I'd love to have, given the time, money, space etc.! Won't make a "wish list", as it would be too long...but may have to ad the aardwolf to it, though I'd never heard of them before. They are beautiful in the pics you posted. Actually, most of the animals I'd like to have are domestics, but some of the more unusual breeds. Exotics are beautiful, and interesting to me, but I don't think I'd be comfortable owning them, especially ones that could "eat" me if they chose to!

Look forward to seeing pics of your pets if you have any to post, and for sure if you hit that Florida lottery and buy your giraffe you'll have to update us all here!

Sue
sbmeier
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:08 pm

Tamanduas also only eat termites and ants along with some other animals kept either in zoos or by people. There are diets to accomadate that. Most common now is cat food/leaf eater 50/50. Personaly I try to minimize kibble in my pet's diets.

Hyenas actualy just have a bad rap. I watch "Growing Up Hyena" on animal planet. So cool and raised with people they seemed sweet realy.
dinnka
Fox Breeder
Fox Breeder

Postby dinnka » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:17 pm

3 yrs ago a baby ( well semi adult ) girrafe sold at Mt Hope auction for $15,000.. last yr the guy I told Pat about with the sloths brought in 2 hyenas at the auction.. i think they went for $1500 ( i think 0.. the girrafe was sucking on my fingers it was so cute we bid up to $8000 on him but then stopped..but they are all cool animals
4 yrs ago i almost bought african bat eared fox, but I was real nervous on sending money over seas.. the guy email me pics of him holding them just was not keen on importing.. so i will wait until they are brought here first
mandy
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:15 pm

Yeah that does sound fishy. If you really wanted one I'd go through a lagitamate importer. They can tell you what is needed and if it's even legal/possible to do.

I called that guy you posted about because I had seen he had tamanduas back in Jan but thought the deal with my imorter was going to happen soon. Anyway have only heard good things about him and called. He seemed great got a good feeling about him but he doesn't have any tams right now. His friend/neighbor has three yr old tame females but they are to much for me right now :( Will just have to wait for my baby.

I want to get a male then a female to bred them. If I had the money would just get them both and raise them together because they do better that way. 98% or more of tams still come from the wild. i want to see a good breeding population going before it's to late and am hoping to be a part of that.
Tiger_eyes

Postby Tiger_eyes » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:18 pm

I have a dream of owning a snow leopard, as they are friendly and gentle. But they are highly endangered. Or a friendlt golden tabby tiger. But there are only about 30, and they can kill.
ShyVulpine

Bush Dog

Postby ShyVulpine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:48 pm

They look funny...
Attachments
Bushdog.gif
Bushdog.gif (69.45 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
speothos_venaticus_11266.jpg
speothos_venaticus_11266.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Pets : tarantulas (6), Chinese water dragon, border collie/mix and a miniature doberman, 3 blue-and-gold macaws and a ringneck parakeet.
Future Goal : Collecting more tarantulas.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 pm

is that a bush dog?

Here is a pic of my dream animal. Maybe one day..........Maned wolf
Attachments
m_wolf6.jpg
m_wolf6.jpg (91.39 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:25 pm

wow, both are very different..

never seen a bushdog.. kind of neat looking.

I never seen or heard of a maned wolf. it looks like a big red fox.

Knockonthesky

Postby Knockonthesky » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:00 pm

The maned wolf looks like a big red fox! :eek:

My fantasy list (animals I'd never get to have in this life-time)
-African Wild Dog - gotta love them!
-Red Wolves - gotta love anything red!
-Black bear - my mother would never come over again
-Dingo - I don't wanna fly to Australia

Oh well. I'll just stick to Dachshunds and Ocicats for now. Hopefully someday red foxes are in my future. :bear :mrgreen:
Kate
PureSky Dachshunds
Dachskatze Munchkins

Return to “Large Critters”