PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Striped Hyena's

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Legend

Striped Hyena's

Postby Legend » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:28 am

So this has been brought up before, but I don't think it ever had it's own topic. Ken's Exotic's seems to have these guys available pretty regularly, I was curious if anyone had ever heard of people raising them?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Striped Hyena's

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:46 am

Yeah but just the one person. His seemed nice. Played with his toy poodle.
Legend

Postby Legend » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:45 pm

That's really cool, and I think I heard that mentioned before. Do you happen to remember where you read it Mary?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:14 pm

It was bubbles http://kitonic.deviantart.com/art/And-t ... -115014799

Unfortunately he was confiscated due to a law that said you can't exhibit an exotic animal. Someone peeked over the fence and saw he had a hyena and they said since someone saw it it was exhibiting and took him :( It was a city law and he was going to move if he could get him back but as far as I know that failed. They wouldn't even let him see him.
trish_clare

Postby trish_clare » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow.. That's really sad. :icon-frown:

It reminds me of an owner on exotic catz forum. He bought a bobcat, and spent over 10,000 on the animal, vet visits, toys, renovations, enclosures, etc. Animal control told him he could no longer own him because of some silly reason (I don't remember what it was, think a neighbor complained even though he was legal) and that they were going to decide what was going to happen to him. So the guy went to the news and told his story, and got a petition started, and got news around everywhere he could. But it really didn't help things, as the county got super angry for him releasing it to the "public".
Legend

Postby Legend » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:49 am

That is so stupid, they take his beloved pet because some chump peeks at him...thus it is exhibiting. :cry:

They don't appear to have updated in quite some time, so it seems like they must have definitely lost him. All because of some stupid law. And the same with the Bobcat that Trish mentioned. Such a shame.

I was hoping to possibly message them about their experience, but now it just wouldn't be proper... icon-sad
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:01 am

Yeah they had to really stretch the meaning of the law to make that happen. I guess some cranky neighbor had friends in high places, though actually the neighbors all said they were fine with it or didn't know it was there till it was seized so just a cranky passerby though they had to be nosy and peek because even the AC guy that had to enforce it was on his side and said you couldn't see it from the street. There was no law against owning exotics just exhibiting them. I guess under their definition anyone in that city needs to keep their exotic hidden away in the basement.

They pass these laws claiming it's for the animals but they mostly just hurt them.
Kibalover667

Postby Kibalover667 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I actually happened to stumble across this article and well thought I'd post it even though this post is sort of old.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-news/bubbl ... owner.html
Proud owner of a Cat named Oscar, a Kitten named Kleo, a dog named Hershey, and an arctic fox named Kovu.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:44 pm

That article says that a police officer looked over the fence and saw the hyena. Explains a lot why it got taken away...just because they don't think it's right, "Let's take this guy's beloved family member, because people shouldn't have exotic animals, and put it in a zoo where it belongs". :-x

They should throw the case out, because the cop looked over the fence into someone's private property. If he hadn't decided to sneak a peak at what people were doing in their yards, the poor animal wouldn't have been seized and the man would still have his pet.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Yeah. He wasn't visible unless you were a peeping Tom. Unfortunately the case is old they didn't win the appeal to get him back. They even would have moved out of state with him so why not give him back? They admitted he was well taken care of. Just shows the laws are not really about the well being of the animals.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm

That's completely ridiculous...

Anyway, I did see as well that Ken's Exotics has hyena pups regularly. Do you guys happen to know of any breeders that I could get in touch with regarding hand-raising the pups? If I asked Ken, he probably would not be able to disclose that information. I've been trying to find organizations that specialize in hyenadae conservation, but I can't find any privately owned facilities that would welcome a curious individual. I would like to call and talk to someone. If you guys know any friendly facilities or individuals, I would love to contact them. Thanks.

[Oh, and as a side note, I'm not wanting to breed hyenas. I'm interested in aardwolves. I figured people who understand hyenas well may have worked with aardwolves at some point despite the fact that they are almost 100% different. Despite their looks, that is.]
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Kibalover667

Postby Kibalover667 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:46 pm

I to am very curious about Hyenas! They are so cool!!! I wonder how good of pets they are. I have tried to look everywhere and can't find much. But I would think that if the Hyena decided to attack you it would be game over, because of how forceful they can bight :lol:

Has anyone ever talked to someoneo who has owned one??
Proud owner of a Cat named Oscar, a Kitten named Kleo, a dog named Hershey, and an arctic fox named Kovu.
Kibalover667

Postby Kibalover667 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHA I feel so dumb! I ment to put Bite :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Striped hyena are about 60 pounds full grown(smaller than the average pittbull) but still have strong jaws. One could do some serious damage but I think it killing you would be rare especially if you take basic precautions.

Return to “Large Critters”