PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fantastic Fossas!

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lady Beta

Fantastic Fossas!

Postby Lady Beta » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I've always been captured by the beauty of the Fossa, and really disliked their representation in Madagascar. (Not ugly, and is not pronounced foosa).
I was wondering if these can be kept as pets/companions, or whether or not they're too wild and ?endangered?

Anyone else fans of these gorgeous creatures?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fantastic Fossas!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Too endangered. There were a few imported before they declared them endangered and stopped it but you wont find any now. One person had a male he desperately was trying to find a mate for but as far as I know it never worked out. They seem fairly difficult to breed even for the zoos that have them.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:09 pm

I was interested in Fanalokas. Too bad they're also endangered.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
paulajo

Postby paulajo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:20 pm

In our local childrens small 'zoo/farm come retro fair ground?' there are a pair of Fossas. They fasinate me every time i go to Folly Farm. They are housed seperately but every time i go i see the male Fossa pacing backwards and forwards. There is a notice up saying that this is 'what they do', dont no if thats true.

I was chatting to my Exotic Vet the other day and he mentioned that few zoos/breeders are interested in placing Fossas as there are apparently no or few breeding programmes over here.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 pm

It's true pacing does not always mean a problem. Animals have energy to expend and sometimes they just do it that way. They can have huge enclosure but always go the same route.

Stewie had my whole house and could go outside supervised if he wanted but he loved to run circles in the living room.

Still if he's always doing it when you go he might need more enrichment. It's hard to say without getting to know that animal.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

The meerkats at the Baltimore Zoo paced a lot in their cylindrical enclosure when I went. But they seemed healthy and had enrichment items. It did look like they could have used a little more space though.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
amyers

Postby amyers » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:03 pm

My cougars do that too. There's a figure 8 in the male's cage where he just walks around. Even when he has the whole 1200-some square feet to move around in. My female just runs laps lol.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 pm

My mom's little dog paces/does laps around things, even though he has a whole 1/2 acre to run in and is played with constantly. I think it's just a thing animals do.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Oh, that's a shame that they're not available. Fossa's are some of my favorite animals, and I'd love the opportunity to study them, maybe breed.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:52 pm

I think they're awesome. Unfortunately, not too many are found in captivity, let along the private sector. But I'm definitely a fan.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:32 pm

i've seen them for sale on exoticanimalsforsale.net but usually lone males from older imports.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:04 pm

naja-naja wrote:i've seen them for sale on exoticanimalsforsale.net but usually lone males from older imports.

There was one floating around for a while. The owner couldn't find a mate for it and wanted to make sure it would go to a place where it could be paired with a female. Unfortunately, it didn't seem like there was a female anywhere in the private sector. Such a shame.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:53 pm

They have them at the zoo here. Such interesting and cute animals. They kind of remind me a bit of a cross between a weasel and a cat even though they aren't part of either family. Lol. XD And I totally agree that the representation of them in the movie Madagascar was terrible. If I remember right, they were portrayed as like lion-sized and had a bunch more cat-like features than they actually really do. Fossa are actually really small. Not to mention the even worse problem of how they were portrayed as vicious and ruthless killers since they were villains of the movie.

For size reference, here's a pic of a man with a fossa:

And another one:
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 pm

I've seen fossa in a fair few zoos, including privatley owned ones INCLUDING one that does deal with private owners. I'm confident, that at least in europe, it's possible to get them, even if it would be difficult or expensive.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Large Critters”