PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Red Pandas?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whatsername

Red Pandas?

Postby Whatsername » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Okay, Red Pandas are illegal to own... Right? Or you need a special permit? I thought I read that somewhere here but now I can't find it...

Here's what happened. My brother is a college student down in AZ, but he was back this weekend for pheasant hunting. Anyway, so this morning we were all sitting and watching Pua on Bad Dog and afterwards he goes, "How would you like to have a Red Panda as a pet?" And I'm like, I'm pretty sure that's illegal. And he says No it's not. And I tell him you need a special permit for endangered species that's very hard to get. And he said that he has a friend down in Arizona that has a Red Panda and is selling it! So I'm not sure what the deal with that is.

My brother has seen it himself, so I'm thinking one of two things about this. Either his friend has a cinnamon or other reddish raccoon and my brother or his friend are too dumb to realize it, or his friend is keeping the Red Panda illegally.

But if anyone knows specifics on the laws, let me know. Cause there is a chance he is somehow owning it legally. Either way, I might see if I can get into contact with him, even act interested in buying to see what he has to say. I'll ask him things like what he feeds it etc. Also, on the 20th I'm going down to Arizona and my brother said we could go see the Panda if his friend still has it. So I'll see. Whether he has it legally or not, I'm still excited to interact with it if it really is a Red Panda! But let me know what you all think about this. Cause I'm not entirely sure how to feel.
Elina

Re: Red Pandas?

Postby Elina » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:04 pm

I have no idea about AZ but there is/was someone on here who was coming to Europe to get a red panda or two:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6349&hilit=red+panda

He/she lived in Florida though where pretty much all exotics seem to be legal.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:29 pm

If it is a red panda you should just buy it right now. You're probably right--it may just be a raccoon, but wouldn't that be something?

He would have had to obtain the red panda in the states since they can't be imported (they're CITES I). However, federally it is legal to own one, so it would just depend on the state.

Just look up Arizona laws. It looks like you could have one since they're not listed as prohibited (they probably just forgot to include it) and I didn't see any all-encompassing law stating "Anything not listed is prohibited."

If it really is a red panda he is selling, figure out the price he's wanting as soon as possible. Heck, if you're not going to buy it, I sure will. LOL :mrgreen:

And YES, if it is a red panda, please let us know the price!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I just asked my brother to have him contact me. I'm going to ask for pictures, price, and any other info I can. I'm very excited! I wonder if it is male or female, and also if it is altered. If not, it would be so cool to try and breed! I saw the cutest video of a baby Red Panda... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8SU2DH9tg Plus, if I (or anyone) could help with conservation, that would be super cool. I'm also curious as to what kind of pets they make!

I really hope my brother pulls through with this. He can be kinda an airhead sometimes so I worry he won't contact the guy >.>

Thanks for the link, Elina!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Yep surprisingly not on the US list of endangered species so it can cross state lines. On;y native endangered are you prohibited owning all together without the USDI.

If it's real then Even if it's a crazy high price let us know as we have another member who said she is willing to pay a crazy high price to get one(crazy to those of us who don't have that kind of money anyway).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Anything on this yet? I'm just curious to know if it's seriously a red panda. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm excited to hear this, too! I can't wait! lol
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
faster

Postby faster » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 am

Ran across this just a minute ago.

Red Pandas For Sale:
Name: Darell Cramps
Phone: (795)623-5612
Email: dave.dave@aol.com
State: Texas
City: odessa

Red Pandas For Adoption Florida:
Name: Stacy Katherine
Phone: (754)896-5832
Email: stacykatherine@gmail.com
State: Florida
City: boca raton
blacksagephoenix

Red Pandas?

Postby blacksagephoenix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Ok, I emailed them both and the lady in Florida replies and says she still ha them. I'm asking for pictures and price, and even though its a 5 hour drive, I might try to visit with them. This is a dream!

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
blacksagephoenix

Postby blacksagephoenix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm

The lady I emailed is a scam. She said she still has the baby and asked where I was located. I told her Florida, asked for pictures, and price. She told me she is in West Virgina, that the baby is 2 and a half weeks old, is $500, and sent me a picture of a baby red panda. I asked her if she could ship, when the baby would be ready, and how she takes payment. She replied with yes she ships for $200, including transport cage, that the baby is ready now (2 and a half weeks?) and that she would only accept payment through Western Union. Already in the mindset of her being a scam, I decided to keep questioning. I asked her about the general care of Red Pandas, and she said it is too much to explain in an email, but she will send a care pamplet home with the baby when he is shipped, and that it will explain everything I would need to know. Really?... whatever.. So I replied with "Could we meet up in person if I drove up there?" Her reply was that she is too busy and needs to place the baby in a home soon, told me to send her the payment, and she would get him on a plane to me asap. I told her I could have a friend of mine up in WV meet her whenever she is available, day or night, any day of the week, and she said "That would be fine but you must first confirm payment through Western Union and then we can schedule a day and time for your friend to pick him up from our address." I asked her if I could have my friend give her cash when he picks up the baby and she said no because the money is to be sent to someone else, in West Palm Beach, and gave me the persons name and address. The name is Marian Cappuccino, an obvious scam if googled.

faster

Postby faster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:47 am

Have no idea I just ran across it and remember sobody had asked about them on here. Have you looked in to the other one?
blacksagephoenix

Red Pandas?

Postby blacksagephoenix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:01 am

Yeah, just figured I'd mention it so no one wastes their time. I emailed the other one and no response yet.

ailurus

Postby ailurus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Anytime you see one of these ads it will be a scam. First of all, red pandas are seasonal breeders. Anyone offering groups of cubs outside of cubbing season that are one week to 6 weeks old, or in another case, one month to 6 months old is an impossibility. Secondly, in order to have "groups" of cubs available they would need to have multiple breeding pairs. Red pandas traditionally have twins and there is only a 56% survival rate. Thirdly, there are NO breeding pairs in private hands. None. Doesn't exist. Perhaps in the future someone will be able to circumvent the CITES permit system and obtain a breeding pair from Japan for $40,000 but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Finally, if there WERE red panda cubs for sale it would be a hell of a lot more then $500-600. Think more like $20,000 each. Most of them are actually part of a group called anifarm which is based, you guessed it, in Nigeria. That being said, feel free to mess with the scammers if you like. I do. I liked the last one that told me that she was feeding the cubs canned tuna and sardines. Apparently their teeth were not developed enough for bamboo.....Mess with them, waste their time and make their hearts thump a little harder thinking they are going to get to steal someones hard earned money. And beware because they also pull this with bat eared foxes and kinkajous.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:09 pm

So, what about Whatsername's brother's friend? Do we know if he actually has a red panda yet or just a red phase raccoon or if he has no animal and is just making the whole thing up?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
blacksagephoenix

Red Pandas?

Postby blacksagephoenix » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:41 pm

ailurus wrote:That being said, feel free to mess with the scammers if you like. I do.

Haha. I play with them for a little while and then tell them I've tracked their IP address and am forwarding it over to a friend who works for the FBI in the Cybercrime department. Try it one day. They freak out sometimes! Haha.

Return to “Large Critters”