PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Red Pandas?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

ailurus

Re: Red Pandas?

Postby ailurus » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 am

The current scammer I'm leading on just asked for a deposit before I could even see them. She apparently has oodles of multi-age panda cubs. And the picture she sent was of a cub born in Calgary Zoo 2 years ago. Nice.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm

One way to see if it's a scam is ask to webcam with the person and see the animal that way. If they say they don't have a webcam I'd be suspicious.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm

That's a pretty awesome idea, Splashstorm. And webcams come pretty cheap nowadays. Doesn't mean they intend to sell you the animal, but it is certainly a good way to rule out whether they have on or not.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Sometimes webcams even come built into the laptop or the monitor of the desktop! :mrgreen: Great idea! I never would've come up with that.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Lol (: Yay me!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:15 pm

If someone asked me to do that, they would be out of luck. I dont know how to use one. Doesnt mean I dont have the animal for sale. If you are buying from someone that isnt of the computor era you likely will just frustrate the seller.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Well the webcam trick is for already questionable breeders.

ImageImage
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 pm

That, and it's just one possible option to help determine if this questionable breeder is legit or not. And sure, not everyone will know how to use one, but it isn't difficult to learn how, so long as they have a little time for it. I'm not sure I'd ask a breeder to go out and buy a webcam to show me the animal, though, unless the animal was really expensive.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:41 am

If you both have an iphone you can facetime chat as well. It's easy to tell if the breeder has a phone capable of it too. And now they've added a feature where you don't have to be in a wifi zone!
Just send a text to the number you have for him/her. If your message sends, and sends blue (if you have an iphone) you'll know the breeder can video chat using the phone. If it's green, he/she can't using that phone or number you have. iPhone users already know this about iMessage though.
But they don't always use their main cell for customers, so that isn't a flawless plan. Also, not everyone has iphones. It's just another idea for if your breeder is sketchy. No need to go to these extremes if we know the breeder is reputable.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:19 pm

It's ashame all of the breeders are really scammers. :/
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 pm

A red panda is the one animal I'd love to own over any other >.< I would willing save up for years & live off pot noodle for one *sigh*
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Are there really NO red panda breeders at all then?

ImageImage
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I highly doubt that, even if someone was is in possession of a breeding pair, that they would sell to a private owner. I would imagine they'd rather sell to a zoo, endangered breeding organization or somewhere/someone that has a LOT of money. They're so rare that it seems very unlikely something like that would occur, especially with just a post on some auction or trade site for exotics. It would probably be a HUGE deal if someone actually had cubs for sale.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Red pandas are really rare. I think the only places that have them are probably AZA zoos and they aren't allowed to sell to private owners or even non-AZA institues in most cases because of AZA rules.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
ailurus

Postby ailurus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:19 pm

Yes, there are NO red panda breeders in the US. There is one shady gentleman in Florida who used to have red pandas. He is currently being investigated and charged by USDA for failure to comply and multiple neglect charges. If he still has any pandas they are hella old. There ARE however multiple scammers out there who claim to have pandas. If you have even the slightest bit of red panda wisdom, and I hope you would if you are thinking of getting one, you would know based on the information the scammers put out that they don't really have pandas. They are seasonal breeders so there are times of the year cubs simply would not be possible no could you have groups of cubs spanning a 6 month age range. They have a very specific diet, they do not eat sardines not do they like beef jerky. And they certainly wouldn't be selling them for $800.00. The gentleman in Florida was selling his for $40,000. No takers though except for one idiot in Tennessee who was almost killed by his. They are definitely NOT cute and cuddly. They are solitary and prefer it that way. And they are blessed with razor sharp claws and powerful jaws.

Return to “Large Critters”