PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Does anyone here own a Hyena?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Laughing Hyena

Does anyone here own a Hyena?

Postby Laughing Hyena » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Hello, I'm pretty new here and as you can tell by my name I love Hyenas just curious if anyone here actually has one? I apologize if this is the wrong board for this I don't know where else to talk about Hyenas and Hyenas seem very canineish despite them being in the Hyenadae family and more closer related to a Mongoose than a Dog.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Does anyone here own a Hyena?

Postby sarajeku » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 pm

No one here owns one, that I know of, but several people are quite interested in them.
This thread might interest you viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2704 icon-smile
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm

They've come up for sale once or twice lately, you can check out the thread(s) in the "Cassifieds" forum.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm

I love hyenas too. Personally, I don't think there are enough species of them, lol.

I'll be getting aardwolves next year if everything goes as planned. I've researched a bunch, but I don't have personal experience with any yet.

It sounds like you're probably interested in spotted hyenas if your name is "laughing hyena." I know a lot about them, but don't have any experience with them. I absolutely adore them though--and even though I had sworn not to ever get one, I think I will someday end up with a little clan.

Striped ones seem much nicer since they don't have any of that tyrannical social structure that spotteds have. I know almost nothing about the browns except that they're endangered and therefore aren't legal to own as pets.

Which species are you most interested in? I love talking about hyenas with people.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Laughing Hyena

Postby Laughing Hyena » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:47 am

Ash wrote:I love hyenas too. Personally, I don't think there are enough species of them, lol.

I'll be getting aardwolves next year if everything goes as planned. I've researched a bunch, but I don't have personal experience with any yet.

It sounds like you're probably interested in spotted hyenas if your name is "laughing hyena." I know a lot about them, but don't have any experience with them. I absolutely adore them though--and even though I had sworn not to ever get one, I think I will someday end up with a little clan.

Striped ones seem much nicer since they don't have any of that tyrannical social structure that spotteds have. I know almost nothing about the browns except that they're endangered and therefore aren't legal to own as pets.

Which species are you most interested in? I love talking about hyenas with people.
I would like a Spotted Hyena but I don't want to own anything that could end my life in a split second lol. Is it true a Spotted Hyenas bite is more deadly than a Wolf bite? And I know a Wolf bite is literally twice as hard as a German Shepherd and I've been bitten by a German Shepherd and it hurts! lol. But Striped Hyenas sound really nice! :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 am

Yes, a hyena's bite is definitely worse than a wolf's. They can crunch bone easily--that's what many of the subordinate spotted hyenas eat regularly. So if one got a hold of your arm, they could theoretically crunch the bone. Striped can do real bad damage too--it's not just the spotteds that are capable of being dangerous; they can kill you too.

Aardwolves are practically harmless--like a fox. But their instinct is to flee rather than confront. In the wild they sometimes lose their teeth since they don't use them for anything; all they eat are termites, so there isn't much use for their teeth except when they catch an occasional mouse.

I think I would really like to have all the different species of hyena someday--I think they are just beautiful, intriguing creatures. I need to see where I am in my life though, because if I have kids, I wouldn't want to put them or myself in danger. If I were going to get them, I would get them in this order though: aardwolves, striped, spotted, brown (brown is last since they are endangered and I would need to show I had experience with similar species).

Here's a youtube video of some pet striped hyenas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c4nhMPquhs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4tAQRgPnuE
There's another one of a different family with full-grown ones as pets, but I can't find that one.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Spotted hyenas are just absolutely stunning! <33 Have you guys seen the episode Pet Hyena: No Laughing Matter on Fatal Attractions? Gosh I hate that show. But anyway, they couldn't find anything where a hyena actually mauled someone, so they took this story. Pretty much the hyena was freaking out when his owner tried getting him in a crate and he nipped him on the arm before scurrying away into the bathroom. Yeah, that hyena was really nasty. I mean, nipping his owner when he was scared out of his mind??? //gasp// icon_confused.gif
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Okay, I admit it wasn't really a nip-nip, but it might as well have been. The hyena wasn't trying to maul him or anything, that was for certain. It just wanted out of the situation.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Hyenas can be very dangerous but they are also really interesting animals though. I would never own one myself though as I don't think I'm prepared to own something with such a powerful and dangerous bite force. I don't mind others owning them if they want to though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:30 pm

I don't think they're dangerous. Any predatory animal can hurt you, no matter their bite force. Hyenas seem pretty docile in captivity.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Splashstorm wrote:I don't think they're dangerous. Any predatory animal can hurt you, no matter their bite force. Hyenas seem pretty docile in captivity.

It doesn't matter the docile-ness of the animal in captivity. Some animals have the potential to be more dangerous than other's because of the physical strength and size. For example, a lion and a bear are more dangerous than a wolf or Eastern Coyote, but a wolf and eastern coyote are more dangerous than a skunk or raccoon,etc. It's doesn't mean that any of these are bad as pets though. Just that the owner has to be more careful and aware around certain animals than others.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:36 am

I think when talking about how dangerous an animal is, it not only includes their physical strength and size (how much damage they can do) but how likely they are to cause that damage. One might say a raccoon is more dangerous than a big, friendly black lab just because it is more likely to attack. I'm not sure if that's my personal opinion on that particular comparison, but just something I thought I'd mention.

I don't know how big hyenas are and I'm too lazy to look it up, but assuming there are breeds of dogs that are around the same size, which is more dangerous - the dog or the hyena? I would say it's likely the hyena, as it seems a majority of dogs are not aggressive.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:21 pm

I don't like to call any large animal "dangerous" in that sense. Yes they can hurt you but most won't. Now I didn't find much info on how dangerous hyenas are, but I have looked up stats on tigers, primates, wolfdogs, and wolves and I know those animals have less than a 1% chance of attacking their owners, which is why I wouldn't worry too much about hyenas.

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:38 pm

the_unstable wrote:I think when talking about how dangerous an animal is, it not only includes their physical strength and size (how much damage they can do) but how likely they are to cause that damage. One might say a raccoon is more dangerous than a big, friendly black lab just because it is more likely to attack. I'm not sure if that's my personal opinion on that particular comparison, but just something I thought I'd mention.

I don't know how big hyenas are and I'm too lazy to look it up, but assuming there are breeds of dogs that are around the same size, which is more dangerous - the dog or the hyena? I would say it's likely the hyena, as it seems a majority of dogs are not aggressive.

Hyenas aren't as large as a lion or bear,but bigger than a wolf. Their danger comes not from their size,but their sheer bite force. They have one of the strongest bites and jaw pressure of any mammal. They can crunch bone with one bite.

Quoting what I said about hyenas in the other topic(This is all about Spotted Hyenas. I don't know much about Striped Hyenas or Brown Hyenas):
However, I feel I should point some things out. Hyenas are not in the canine family. This is important to note because they can be alot more dangerous to handle than any wolf, wolfdog,coyote, or fox.

Spotted Hyenas(as you can see from the photos posted with one standing next to the adult guy) are HUGE compared to gray wolves(the biggest of all canid species).

But it's not just size that makes them dangerous. They have the strongest bite force of all mammals. Which means if one decides to attack, there's no way you're going to be able to pry its jaws off of you and it also means that the bite can be very serious and deadly.

And to top that off, in the wild, the way they kill their prey is by disembowling,which is esentially eating it alive by ripping its insides out. Not a very pleasant way to leave the world if the hyena's prey instinct kicks in because you accidentally trip on something or you become frightened or you run too fast.

As for the part about prey insinct, that can happen with any carnivore. In some cases even with domestic dogs,but the way other carnivores kill for the most part isn't as brutal as the way hyenas kill.

Also, hyenas have an even stricter hierachy then wolves and will fight for domanance. It's the females that are dominant; so males should be ok in this respect. However, it's impossible to tell male and female hyenas apart from each other without DNA testing because as odd as it sounds, females hyenas(and they are the only mammal that does) have reproductive parts extremely simiar to the ones on males. The only differences is that they have a small unnoticable hole at the bottom of it for the offspring to come out,but it's only noticable during birthing when it expands.

This not to say that I don't think hyenas make good pets or that I don't think you should have them. I just think you should know exactly what you are getting yourself into before you decide to buy one just thinking that a hyena would be a cool pet to have. Hyenas can be just as dangerous if not more in some ways than big cats (like lions or tigers) and bears are.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 am

I don't like to call any large animal "dangerous" in that sense.

You don't like to, but I will. I don't encourage bans on "dangerous wild animals" but I do encourage people to be fully aware of the damage an animal is capable of inflicting

Yes they can hurt you but most won't. Now I didn't find much info on how dangerous hyenas are, but I have looked up stats on tigers, primates, wolfdogs, and wolves and I know those animals have less than a 1% chance of attacking their owners, which is why I wouldn't worry too much about hyenas.

Instead of just saying, "Oh this animal can hurt me, but I don't think it will", you should consider what would happen and how you need to react should the animal attack. They are wild animals and they can be unpredictable. It's foolish to think that the animal isn't going to attack you just because statistics show that attacks have rarely occurred. As for these animals supposedly having a 1% chance of attacking their owners...who really believes most statistics, especially such a horribly generalized statistic like that?

Return to “Large Critters”