PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Does anyone here own a Hyena?

Bears, Hyena, Sloths, Binturongs, Red Panda, Fossa, Seals etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Splashstorm

Re: Does anyone here own a Hyena?

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Ohh.. Yeah that's true. :/
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
mbf000

Postby mbf000 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 am

image.jpg
Hyena
I own spotted hyenas they are very dangerous they will kill anyone that enters their enclosure not a pet at all
Juska

Postby Juska » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 pm

I doubt that's entirely true. I hope your Hyenas haven't actually killed anyone.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Yours must not be tame. Quite a few people have owned them with great success. That's very cool that you have owned some though! I'm super jealous. I think they're just gorgeous creatures.

How long have you been into owning hyenas for?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:38 pm

Juska wrote:Image

I never realized how big they were, look at the size of it compared to the girls head/body, jeez one of them could do horrendous damage if they did snap, and there would be no escaping from some of the strongest jaws per pound.

I'd treat them with utmost respect.
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:36 pm

I've seen a lot of people work with captive ones and they form a very close bond with the people who raised them. There are lots of videos and photos of their handlers/caretakers with them like this. So I'm not too inclined to believe that captive ones will just kill people at random.

Kevin Richardson and his Hyenas

At 2:30 he literally has the top Hyena laying on its back with its head in his hands, rubbing her belly.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 pm

It was cool. In the Animals Finder's Guide there was an article about a couple that raised two girl hyenas from cubs. They had nothing but good things to say about them. It made me want a hyena that much more.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:12 am

I love watching Kevin Richardson with his animals, it's amazing. I did notice that he mentioned that if you're working with a clan, you'll definitely get bitten and it'll require stitches, so I think if I get a hyena, I'll probably only get one.

Ash, I wonder if there were any problems with those two females jostling for rank and the person getting caught in the middle and hurt?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:55 pm

veralidaine wrote:I love watching Kevin Richardson with his animals, it's amazing. I did notice that he mentioned that if you're working with a clan, you'll definitely get bitten and it'll require stitches, so I think if I get a hyena, I'll probably only get one.

Ash, I wonder if there were any problems with those two females jostling for rank and the person getting caught in the middle and hurt?

Unfortunately, I didn't think the owners of the hyenas were very responsible, and they rehomed them at I think it was 1 year of age (they bought them knowing they'd rehome them, how irresponsible). So they probably didn't exhibit too much of the jostling for rank. It would have been a much better article if they had kept them, plus more responsible.

Whenever I get my spotteds, I want to keep them in male-female pairs and not in a clan setting. That way I don't think they'll suffer too many injuries because the male will be pretty submissive already. And hopefully I'll be spared some bites, lol.

I believe Kevin Richardson is the guy who said that he would often pinch his hyenas to keep them in their place.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Ash wrote:
Whenever I get my spotteds, I want to keep them in male-female pairs and not in a clan setting. That way I don't think they'll suffer too many injuries because the male will be pretty submissive already. And hopefully I'll be spared some bites, lol.

I believe Kevin Richardson is the guy who said that he would often pinch his hyenas to keep them in their place.

From what I've seen/heard, females will beat on males just for the heck of it sometimes so having a male/female pair may end up in the male being injured. If you did get a male and female, I would suggest giving the male a way to get away from the female e.g if the male is significantly smaller, provide a hole to a part of the enclosure that only he can get through.

And yes, Kevin has to occasionally pinch them because the clan is a dynamically shifting system, with members challenging each other often. Since Kevin holds the top position, he would be probably be challenged fairly regularly and would have to shut it down the hyena way (pinching to mimic bites) to avoid the hyena getting braver and doing something more dangerous to Kevin.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Here's a man feeding wild hyenas he befriended: http://youtu.be/ZfMVIQ55IjM

If wild hyenas are that tame, bottle-raised ones would be even more awesome :3
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “Large Critters”