Finding a Mink.

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nadiv10

Finding a Mink.

Postby nadiv10 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, I stumbled across it while researching foxes a few years back and just now decided to join.
I am facing a problem, I have been researching mink, how to raise them, if they're legal in my state and all that. But I am faced with a problem finding a mink breeder.. I have searched high and low of a mink breeder and have found nothing, I see that many some members on this forum have beautiful mink but I cant seem to find out where they got them.
Could someone please tell me where I can find one? I would appreciate it very much :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Finding a Mink.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm

---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:58 am

Speak to Joseph Carter on Facebook. He's more than willing to help you find a mink breeder if you're ready, and has lots of connections.
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, mink, bat eared fox, jerboa, lemur (brown or white ruffed), egyptian fruit bat.
nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Thank you for the help and suggestions hopefully I'll be able to get a mink soon.
Oh I have another question, I know that you shouldn't walk foxes in public because if they bite someone they will be put down, (Due to the rabies vaccine not being approved for them) is this a problem with Mink? I read somewhere that mink rabies vaccines were approved but I just want to make sure, because people recommend walking mink. I would like to walk my mink in a private area but what if someone happens to be in the same area as me and touches my mink and he bites them? Will he be put down?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:00 pm

No there's not one approved. I would assume most give them the ferret shots.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:37 pm

@TamanduaGirl
Thank you for the answer, so is it dangerous to take my mink outside?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 pm

There is some risk as there is in anything. It's up to you how much risk to take with your pet. Many people do walk their foxes too. You just have to make your decisions based on the facts.

He will be put down for testing if a bite and in most cases even a scratch is reported, it does not even have to have actually occurred. It just takes someone reporting it did though people being that malicious is rare it has happened. You may not be as likely to get reported since mink are so similar to ferrets, where as people think of foxes as being vermin that carry rabies. But if it's bad enough a bite for them to see a DR the DR legally has to report any animal injuries.

Having the rabies shot will protect him from rabies and may give him some protection from people in that you might calm their fears since you can say he is vaccinated but it wont protect him from being tested if reported since not officially proven to work or an incubation period proven for minks.

I walk my anteater on the forest trails and it works okay. We run into a few people but they are respectful so I don't have people try to grab her without asking or things like that that could lead to an incident. The more populated the more likely to happen. Like someone taking their monkey to a market and having people grab at it.

One issue I have run into is loose dogs. Even a ridge back running up to us and had to lift Pua up to protect her.

So walking with a leash and harness is best so you can pull him up fast if there is trouble. Since mink can be bitey I'd only allow petting if at all while holding him so his head is away from the person and tell them to only pet his rump.
---
Mary

nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm

@TamanduaGirl
Great ideas I'll keep them in mind, hopefully the fact that mink are in the same family as ferrets and look kinda similar to them will put people at ease most people here love ferrets I've even seen people walking around the store with them(and no one seems to even notice) perhaps they wont freak out much about a mink if they think about ferrets when they look at him. I will do the rump petting thing if I come across curious strangers.

Thanks!
Slinky

Postby Slinky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 pm

Majority of the things I've read say that walk is really important for exercise and bonding. If you want to avoid bites go on a less common path and use a leash
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 pm

To be honest I would't recommend letting anyone pet your mink, it's unlikely even a hand raised mink would allow strangers to pet him or her without a chomp, or thrashing to get away, or spraying his anal glands. Most mink will only allow the person who raised them to pet them, even if they live in a household with multiple people. My mink did allow my girlfriend to pet his tail tip after meeting him a few times, while he was very sleepy. A lot of mink even dislike being picked up by their owners & will try to squirm out of your hands, they prefer to be played with on the ground. No to be negative, it;'s just something to be prepared for!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”