Getting a mink from a fur farm?

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

brigrahm

Getting a mink from a fur farm?

Postby brigrahm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 am

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but I really want to know if it's possible to get a mink from a fur farm. I'm sure there are legal issues that don't allow farms to sell their minks due to USDA but I know some have rescued minks. I'm not looking for a "pet" and I don't care if the poor thing is vicious. Minks and their behavior fascinate me and all I want is to rescue one, possibly spread awareness too. I'm willing to dedicate as much time needed to get one, if it is at all possible.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting a mink from a fur farm?

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am

It is not legal to get a mink from a fur farm as pet. The rescues you know of were illegally sold. If USDA decided to crack down on those cases, it could wind up with the minks being seized (and killed), and heavy fines being imposed. Getting a mink from a fur farm as a pet is not an option. The only time a fur farm could give you a mink is if they give you one for FREE. But it is illegal for them to sell one to you.

I personally think it's hypocritical and silly all these people claiming to "rescue" mink and foxes. All they are doing is paying the farmer more money to keep doing what they're doing, so the idea of "rescue" means nothing. Most of the people who get "rescue" mink actually have great relationships with fur farmers (so essentially stabbing them in the back afterwards) and only call their animals rescues to get sympathetic attention from others.

Please go the correct route and get a mink from a USDA-licensed breeder. It's the right thing to do, and the responsible thing to do.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:24 am

Just curious. Are there any mink breeders? I couldn't seem to find any when I looked awhile back out of curiosity.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:06 am

I don't know if they want to be named, but I do know of someone who gets mink kits (are they called kits?) from a fur farm. They "adopt" them out to people (I say adopt, but they do not claim to be a rescue and they are not meant to be pets, they make that very clear to potential owners).

I think the logic of buying or receiving animals from a fur farm is that the taming/partial domestication is already done for them, especially if that person does not have the facilities/time/resources to start their own breeding setup, and just want one or a few. Not that I advocate the illegal sale of animals.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”