Pine marten

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lasergrl

Pine marten

Postby Lasergrl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of any pine marten or ermine breeders or brokers? They used to be in the pet trade, and martens are supposedly still on fur farms but I cant find a farm. Any leads?

Tw
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:22 pm

http://www.awesomeexotics.com/ had a pair but sold them when they didn't breed. You could ask them where they got theirs.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neofelis

Re: Pine marten

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 pm

This is an ancient thread, but just wondering, does anyone have any experience with these animals? Martens, ermines, least weasels, any other weasel? What are their temperaments like?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm

I've read that captive youngs when raised by humans can be tamed. Obviously they still have "wild" left in them, like foxes or raccoons kept as pets.

Some people say that stoats are harder to keep than weasels.

Not sure how similar they are, but I've read mink do not tame down well at all. But then again I have heard about genets being impossible to tame, but yet there is a woman in Texas who owns a pair that are super tame and affectionate.

I haven't seen stoats or martens for sale, but I have seen polecats and genets and palm civets (not exactly weasels, I guess, but similar-looking). There is currently a marbled polecat for sale. If you're interested, I'll send you the link.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
amine9876

Postby amine9876 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Ash wrote:
I haven't seen stoats or martens for sale, but I have seen polecats and genets and palm civets (not exactly weasels, I guess, but similar-looking). There is currently a marbled polecat for sale. If you're interested, I'll send you the link.

Can you please send me the link?? I'm desperately looking for a marbled polecat, savannah striped polecat or black-footed ferret. I know the odds for each are low but looking for any of those three is better odds :P
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:57 am

Hi. A black-footed ferret is not legal to own, so you won't be able to own those since highly endangered and almost extinct.

As for the marbled polecat I was referring to, that was five years ago. If you do digging you can find them though. Nick Jacinto (Nature Nick at Animal Adventure Partiest) in New York may still import some. For marbled polecats, I think importers are your best bet. Good luck. :)
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Smforest

Postby Smforest » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Upon researching the Marten I found this thread. I read articles about domestic Martens as well and I'm very intrigued. I recently spotted a Marten in the wild which got me thinking about how furs were farmed in the past. I am wondering if anyone has any information on people who have bred Martens in captivity or whatever happened to the fur farms. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 pm

It seems mustalidae, aside from domestic ferrets, just breed very very poorly in captivity.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smforest

Postby Smforest » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:29 am

That seems to sum it up perfectly. I read there are many mink fur farms, but they are pretty terrible for the mink and they do not do well handled. Each mustelid has it's own weaknesses in captivity and none really should ever be considered held in captivity in my opinion. The marten is so intriguing though after reading some of the old American farmer's articles about their homing abilities, on one account of 160 miles away! I'm wondering if there are any other historical records of the marten or just general history on the species? Thanks!

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... 9/2199.pdf

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”