PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Getting a Mink

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FrothingMagpies

Re: Getting a Mink

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:09 am

Any ideas on what to tell them to let me catch the mink as opposed to just setting their dogs on it? & thanks, I hope she doesn't need live prey though, I'm actually very fond of rats ^^'' that must sound a bit crazy to you though seeing as I want to keep mink & ferrets.
& I found a shop selling live catch traps specifically for mink near me so they should be fine.
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 am

I'm sure this may shock you, since I kill rats almost on a daily basis, but I like rats too. Other than feral cats and small inbred dogs I basically like every animal out there. I don't hunt rats because I hate them. I actually like and admire them. I hunt them because sometimes they cause problems, and it's just a part of nature. A part of nature I enjoy. The struggle between predator and prey fascinates me. The stronger, or smarter prey animal survives and passes on their superior genes, and the slower/stupider ones don't. Same goes for predators. The whole circle of life, fascinates me, and both predator and prey should be loved and respected in my eyes. I used to have a pet rat when I was little, and I would guess that someday I'll have another. As far as what to say, I'm really not sure. The first trick is creating the relationship. If you have multiple people you can meet, then try to pick out one or two that seem most likely to cooperate. It will take weeks, possibly months to build the relationship, and then after that you can just try talking to them. Say you read some interesting stuff online you'd like to try out, and ask if they can help you. I'm really not sure exactly what to say.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Actually no ;) Your respect for animals comes across, & I can see how killing an animal doesn't equate to hating it. A few years ago I would have, but I'm changing. Animals have always been important to me & you know how it is when you're younger, things are very black & white/ right or wrong. I'm a vegetarian but I don't think that means I have to blindly hate anyone who hunts & I've never thought of anyone who eats meat as a "murderer". I have friends who hunt & would hate to see an animal mistreated or neglected & I think I have more in common with them then my friends who still see animals the way Disney shows them & loves the idea of them more than the actual animals which stink, hunt, kill & bite & all that, & would be happy to dress them up & carry them in their handbags. I have more fun with my pets when they can act naturally.
& I'm the same, never been a cat person & can't stand inbred toy animals that have lost all their natural instinct. Hence why I love wild animals more, & why I want a mink! Domesticated animals don't even seem real next to things like foxes & mink.

Thats a good idea, gaining their trust first. Maybe I can convince them that I need a live mink to draw from (I'm in art college, but then maybe saying I'm doing art will make me seem too "airy fairy" lol) we always have to draw from live animals & people & animals for their anatomy etc, it could be a good excuse for needing a live mink & not a dead one.
moniquegalway

Postby moniquegalway » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:36 pm

hi:)
Hows looking for a mink? i was thinking about getting a mink as a pet this year. I had one two years ago and she was a great pet. I didnt know you need a licence to keep them in Ireland?
"So now make a wish and place it in your heart. Do you have it? Good. Believe in it. It will come true." OTH
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am

Oh wow, I'm guessing with your username you're from Ireland too? :) I've never met another Irish person who doesn't hate mink! How did you get your last one? I'd love to her all about him/her.
Apparently you do need a license, it's to regulate the fur farms keeping them. However I'm not sure if it actually applies to people who want to keep them as pets or not.

Right now I'm thinking of trapping one & trying to tame it, which I wouldn't have considered but Minkenry has had great success & his mink seem very happy in captivity.

I don't know if you read all of this thread (There's quite a lot to go through!) but I tried to call all of the Irish mink farms but none would sell me a baby to raise. I have friends in France who keep mink & might be able to get me one but I would have to personally go over & get it as they can't send one over. I think I'm going over to France this summer anyway, if the trapping doesn't work I'll try to buy one there.
moniquegalway

Postby moniquegalway » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Im not Irish. I'm Polish but I live in Ireland:)
I read all of this thread. Im very dissapointed with the license and also with reactions all these people from fur farm. Well in Poland they don;t really want to sell minks as pets but they still do, at least some of them... Id say getting mink from France would be great idea, the only thing i dont think that would be easy to do? you need a passport for your mink and vaccinaton against rabbies at least 21 days before coming to Ireland. I brought my ferret to Ireland and i had to do some preparations... Did you check what need to be done if you wanna bring a mink from France? How would you transport it? Its crazy idea but maybe i could do it as well:)
I am so happy i found you, Where do you live? I live in Galway but i come to Newbridge co Kildare and to Dublin pretty often.
Monika
"So now make a wish and place it in your heart. Do you have it? Good. Believe in it. It will come true." OTH
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Ah okay, sorry for the assumption!
I'm disappointed too :/ I think Poland must be similar to France like that, the fur farmers don't publicly sell their mink as pets but some of them sell them to the occasional person. I think that maybe if someone went in their car in a ferry boat to France they might be able to just bring back a mink? I know people can bring pet cats & dogs like that on holidays with them, we were going to last summer when our old dog was sick & we didn't want to leave her (in the end we had to put her to sleep before we left).

Or if someone got a license to keep mink they could maybe buy one abroad & have it imported over like livestock? But that would be expensive & probably have a lot of paperwork.

I live down in Cork! I go to Dublin sometimes too, but I travel to Limerick & Kerry more as I have friends & family there.
moniquegalway

Postby moniquegalway » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 pm

you canr bring pets for holiday with you if you have passport for them. cant say if you could get passport for mink. although it might be possible in France. maybe thats the plan? ah id love to have a mink. thnking of going to fur farms on my own to personally speak to owners and maybe.... i could buy one baby mink:) i miss my girly mink so much, she was a great pet....
i was thinking about getting a mink here..i mean catching her:) but i dont see it happening eh Gaway is so small and dont know where i should be looking for any mam mink
If you ever in Galway just let me know so we can meet for a cofee:)
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 am

I know you can get passports for ferrets, hopefully you can get them for mink too. I tried contacting the fur farms about buying a baby only one of them would listen to me, Vasa LTD in Laois. They won't sell to you unless you have a license though.
I've tried catching one down here but all I've caught so far was feral/farm cats! I set them all free of course. I've only heard of one person actually catching any down here but he hates them so much that he apparently enjoys killing them too much to give one to me instead of drowning it... so cruel. If he has to kill them why can't he just do it humanely? It can take a mink 15 minutes to drown fully.
& I'll let you know if I ever head up there! :)
moniquegalway

Postby moniquegalway » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm

ah all i can think about is how to get mink. so the licence is 250e. is this for a year or for life? and how much Vasa LTD wanted to sell the mink for? im thinking of getting the licence next week and going to laois..
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 pm

I don't know if it's for life or a year, I asked a fur farm in kerry but they wouldn't tell me & the license is unclear. I don't even know who you are meant to pay it to, but here it is: http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/mig ... epmeat.pdf
I hope that link works for you! & Vasa didn't tell me the price when I called but that was because I didn't have a license at that point. If you want I can pm you their number? You'll need to have someone come around & inspect where you'll be keeping the mink before you get the license though I think. & let me know how that goes, I'm so excited for you!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm

It's yearly " Licences are issued for a one-year period after which each operator must reapply for renewal. "

Since it says it licensees them under the Musk Rats Act 1933. It was easy to find.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1933/en/ ... print.html
9.—(1) It shall not be lawful for any person to keep in Saorstát Eireann any musk rat unless—

(a) such person is the holder of a licence (in this Part of this Act referred to as a musk rat licence) granted by the Minister under this Part of this Act authorising such person to keep musk rats, and

(b) such musk rat is kept at the premises specified in such licence, and

(c) such person complies with the conditions attached to such licence.

(2) If any person keeps in Saorstát Eireann any musk rat in contravention of this section, such person shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds.

(2) The Minister shall not grant an application for a musk rat licence unless he is satisfied that such licence is required to enable musk rats to be kept for the purposes of biological or scientific research.

So the farm permit is probably best but you need one or the other.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”