Russian Domestic Mink - First Importation

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Russian Domestic Mink - First Importation

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Cool. If I were rich I'd get one of the domestic mink rather than the fox.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Harvey's gorgeous. I am glad he's working out so well. I didn't know mink could swim.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:05 am

Thanks for posting Zebrafox! Beautiful animals...I would love to get one from the US someday, just raise a baby from a fur farm on my own. Dreams...ah.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:43 am

Harvey's adorable and so pretty. What color phase is he?

@Trefoil: Minks fish in the water for their food in the wild.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:48 am

I'm so happy to see Harvey's happy in his new home, that pool will be heaven to him :) When Mitch sent me pictures of Harvey when I asked about the institutes mink & I got so excited & printed them out & everything xD I was so sad that they cost the same as the foxes & always wondered where he'd end up. So it's good to know!

Harvey is a karelian or leopard mink, the other one is a black crystal.
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:29 pm

I LOVE his colors! Lucky Harvey has got himself a great owner, as I can see he has his own ''private'' pool ;)

I'm sure he'll live a happy life there. Just curious, what is the average lifespan of a domestic mink in captivity?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:49 pm

They're nice but personally I prefer sapphires, cross, & plain black with the white chin patch ^.^ I don't know what it is about the chin patch but it's so cute to me.

Around 10 years, & 3/4 in the wild, if they're lucky. So captivity suits them well xD
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Hehe, captivity suits well most animals ;) foxes live around 3 years in the wild, while they can reach 18 years in captivity! (usually it's more around 14 years)

I can see you love minks, and really know a lot about them, and their different colors!
I'm just like you, but with foxes haha! I'm obsessed with those animals, it's actually scary for those who know me xD
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Woah, 18?! I thought that 14 would have been more of their limit, & 8-9 the average. Which makes no sense now that I think about it, they're still basically like dogs (in the most basic sense, I get that they're not tame pest etc ;) ).

It's funny, I only got into mink through foxes! I originally wanted a fox, I still really do, but there's no way I could keep one right now. When I was searching for information about foxes in captivity I kept coming across other animals in fur farms, & mink kept cropping up... So it all started from there xD Right now I can care for a mink's needs, but not a foxes & I really love both so it worked out fine.

But someday I'd like a silver fox! I'm so tempted whenever I see one for sale in England, which is the closest they are to me. I'd love to see Elina's before she moves back to the US, I don't even know if she shows them to strangers. & I know all about obsessions with animals, don't worry xD My friends are sick to death of me nattering on about mink, ferrets, martens, foxes, manatees....
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Wow, it's cool to know how you started to like minks! :) Foxes only lead to good things, don't they? ;)
What color of mink do you plan on getting? And what gender would you like your mink to be?

I hope you'll have your silver fox one day, who knows! A mink and a fox ;) hopefully they'll be okay with each other (but still shouldn't be left together alone, unless you want your mink to be a nice tasty ''bacon'' for your fox).

Elina's moving to the US?! When? :O I never knew about this. In which state is she planning on going? And will she bring all her foxes with her?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Yes, they're only the bringers of good fortune to me xD I love seeing the wild ones around my home, they sometimes leave me interesting bones & feathers & things too.

Right now I think I'll just be lucky to get any kind of mink at all, but if I'm allowed to be picky my favourites are:
A black cross http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
black with a white chin (a common mink marking) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
a sapphire cross http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
http://www.devonmink.com/img/minks/sapphire_cross.jpg
Or a plain sapphire http://www.devonmink.com/img/minks/sapphire_b.jpg

The paler the colour you go with mink the tamer they usually are, & boys are usually calmer so a pale male would be best for me as I'm a newbie.

I dread to think of a fox-mink fight O_O Minks can fight cats & win so they'd both get really hurt before it would be over >.<

Uhm well she's mentioned it once or twice somewhere on here, Idk where but she's bringing all her pets!
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:19 pm

The sapphire and the black cross are very pretty ^^ But I have to admit I've got a thing for the black one with the white spot on the chin! So adorable. I have a cat that looks almost the same, all black with the white spot on her chest.

Are you serious? :O I didn't know the color of the mink had an influence on its behavior! That's interesting to know. Do you happen to know the reason why? All I know about the influence of the color in foxes is that some colors are associated to the fox's size, smell and hereditary diseases (like anemia, for the pure platinum and whitemark foxes).

I didn't know minks were so rough, I hope yours won't kill your ferrets :( It would be really sad. Do they usually get along well with other animals, from their own genus?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 am

I love them all! There isn't really any mink colour I don't like. But I really want one with a chin spot! Oh what pets do you have already, along with your cat? :3

Yep! It's really interesting actually, that's part of the Russian Institutes experiment & they found that it does. It took a bit of digging through their site but here is some of what's published (look for page 13) https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... H1nfWE5dMQ
I'm sure it actually explains it very well in the document but tbh the horrors of google translate are putting me off reading it xD

The thing about mink is they aren't psychos that attack everything they see like people believe in Ireland, but once they go to kill something they usually do :S They're pretty relentless & very strong. Minkenry on here is more experienced & knowledgeable than me, he hunts with his & he says they can bite a rabbit's head so hard it's eyes pop out, which I don't like to think about seeing as I own three rabbits.... the number one cause of mink death in the wild is other mink, they can be very territorial, however males let their range overlap with females & my ferrets are female so there s a chance it could work. So they don't really get along with any animals but people xD However! Sometimes they can be like this: http://youtu.be/3sZOVOftztQ (ignore the awful music xD)
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:49 pm

I have 4 cats (they don't all live in the same house tho), two geckos and I'll have my champagne fox this spring! How about you, do you have any more animals other than your 2 ferrets?

That mink and ferret playing rough together are sooo cute tho! :3 It's cool to see them next to each other, you can make a pretty good size comparison from that video. And it's great to know that someone else has a ferret and a mink living together peacefully! Did you ever had any contact with a mink before (ever held one, worked with one, seen one...)? I really hope the mink you will take from the fur farm will end up being as nice (or even nicer!) than the one in the video with the ferret. Since you're getting it in late spring, you'll have the WHOLE summer to work with his attitude (no more going out with friends for a while!) :P I'll have to do the same thing with my fox. My whole summer 2013 will go pretty much like this : fox fox fox fox sleep eat fox fox fox *gets call from friends but has to reject the invitation* fox fox fox
I think it'll be the same for you but with a mink instead of a fox x) But it's CRUCIAL that you spend this summer with it, you might not enjoy it at first, not being able to see your friends and everything, but you'll be happy you've done it afterwards, when you'll have a friendly mink!

Did you already think of a name, or you'll just go with it?

And omg I didn't know minks were so strong :O Could they kill a fox? They're very well adapted predators, it's amazing. Minkenry has a mink that's trained to hunt? Wow, how did he manage to train his mink to do that? Do you know what minks usually eat in the wild?

And hahaha, loving that video's music! xD so groovy
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Thats quite the collection! What kind of geckos do you have? I don't know a lot about reptiles but I love the crested geckos & I'd like a green iguana someday. Yup, I live with my dog, a four year old female Samoyed therapy dog, a mouse, three ex show rabbits, a paddle tailed newt & some fish. I used to breed fancy mice & show my rabbits so that's' actually the smallest my collection has been in a few years. I think from now on I'd prefer having just a few pets I can spend proper time with ^.^

Eee I know! I love how playful they are. I'm sick to s*** of people telling me my mink will just kill everything, that video shows they're capable of being gentile too so I like it. Yup, I've met some mink & a beech marten! I wrote about it & put picture up here: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=10019 I had a tiny sample of aggressive mustelids last summer too, one of my ferrets used to be too fear aggressive to hold she'd just lunge at my face & throat the whole time. The pets shop I got her from kept her in a thigh up cage & about head level & people would always tap on the glass & shove their faces up against it so whenever she saw faces or hands she'd rip at them. She was fine with feet etc, but whenever your face came too close she'd bite & claw at it.
Now when I open her cage door she runs up my arm & licks my chin & loves to perch on my shoulder & climb all over my head xD A ferrets bite isn't as strong as a minks but at least I know how to act around one that bites.

Ha xD that sounds like a great routine! You'll both be so bonded by the end of it. Except with your human friends, you may forget what they look like... ;) & I'll be fine with that, I live out in the countryside far away from all of my friends anyway, & sadly most of them don't even live in my county, they're just here for college. I spend ,most of my time in my room doing art or out hiking/camping/walking with my dog around our house in the woods etc, so if the mink is good on his harness & leash he can come too ^.^ Mink are usually good for going on walks.

I'm so pathetic, I already have a list of mink names written down xD What about you, picked a fox name yet? I feel like we sound wierdly like two pregnant women talking about their babies xD

Well the fox would probably win in the end, but he'd be a pretty beat up fox :/ here's an album of mink bites on facebook, just to give you an idea of what they are capable of. Mind you these were wild mink when she got them: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 215&type=3
Minkenry has had a lot of mink, some wild, some feral & some bottle raised, he's like my mink guru xD

& mink eat a mixture of things, fish, mice, rats, muskrats, maybe the occasional bird if it's injured or slow, crayfish... whatever they cat catch really!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”