PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Russian Domestic Mink - First Importation

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Russian Domestic Mink - First Importation

Postby caninesrock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Harvey is a karelian or leopard mink, the other one is a black crystal.

Ok. Thanks for the info. ^^

Around 10 years, & 3/4 in the wild, if they're lucky. So captivity suits them well xD

Wow. That's a pretty good life span. It's almost as long as the lifespan of a large breed dog which usually average between 10-12 years.

@FrothingMagpies: The black cross one reminds me of a ferret. I think my favorite of all the ones you posted is the plain sapphire. Do you know of any mink color charts anywhere? It's really cool that you found out you liked mink from looking into foxes. I hope you get your fox and mink someday. ;)

That video of the mink playing with the ferret is just too adorable.

That's horrible what that pet shop did to your ferret. :( I'm glad you were able to rehab her though. Some of those mink bites look pretty serious. Did the girl in the pictures have to go to the hospital for any of them?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 pm

I know, I thought it'd be a shorter lifespan too! however seeing as farm mink aren't bred for long term health or longevity I'm not sure of how many really would live that long. Depends on diet & care too obviously.

Ah okay, I can see how they're ferrety. I'm mad about sapphires too, the closest I've come to seeing one so far is a stole in a vintage shop I'm afraid. The farms in Ireland seem to mainly have albinos & blacks from what I can tell so mine will probably end up being one of those.
I'll compose a colour chart for you over the next few days, it'd be fun :D Minkenry will probably end up correcting me a bit though ^^" I haven't found any complete ones yet, so I'll just work with what I know & I suppose other people might help fill in the blanks later.

I thought it was cute too! Just shows they can sometimes get along fine with each other :)

That pet shop is very shady indeed, I've only ever heard bad things about it but it was the only place that would order in ferrets. I think I see the worst of it though, I'm a practising taxidermist & seeing as I think it's immoral to kill animals for the purpose of taxi I only work with already dead things, & collecting from pet shops is a good way of getting animals to practice on. The amount & quality of animals I used to get from there was disgusting. He didn't profit from my taking them so I tried to convince myself that I wasn't supporting his business but in the end I didn't want to work with him any more. Most animals were maimed, sick, underweight or literally in pieces. I don't want to know how they got like that.

& as for the mink bites, I don't know! She probably didn't go to hospital though, it might draw too much attention to her mink. But thats just speculation.
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Trefoil wrote:I don't remember what they went for, but a couple of years ago a pair went through. One was white with black spots and the other was black with white spots. They were absolutely gorgeous. And nasty. I think it very likely that the pictures on the links don't do them justice. The ones at Mt. Hope were so pretty I could almost overlook the temperament.

With work you can turn that nasty mink into a handleable pet. Depending on amount of work you put into the mink, and it's individual temperament you can get them to any where from dog tame, to semi wild yet manageable. Most people don't have the patients, or know how, but it is very doable. I've done it will lots of mink. My two mink I have right now were both caught and bought as adults. I can pretty much do what ever I want with both of them. However a word caution as one of the mink gave me some good bites during the taming process. She's great now, and I even let my little cousins hold her.
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Trefoil wrote:Harvey's gorgeous. I am glad he's working out so well. I didn't know mink could swim.

You didn't know mink swim?!?!?! Watch these!!!

http://youtu.be/S1W8dMBUv0k

http://youtu.be/BAESPtQ12Ck

http://youtu.be/uwFJMXu0EKI
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 pm

vulpis wrote:I hope you'll have your silver fox one day, who knows! A mink and a fox ;) hopefully they'll be okay with each other (but still shouldn't be left together alone, unless you want your mink to be a nice tasty ''bacon'' for your fox).

baaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

A mink becoming bacon for a fox :lol: that's funny!! Yeah maybe a BABY mink lol

This Coyote thought he was going to get some "bacon" too ;-)

http://youtu.be/XG99iycAbjc

And so did this dog!

http://youtu.be/XG99iycAbjc

Unless you had a very small and timid female mink you would need to worry about the fox, NOT the mink ;-) Seriously my skinny little 1 1/2 pound female mink Missy goes after full grown house cats and small dogs! I have to protect THEM from HER, NOT the other way around.
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Ooops I posted the same video twice. Here's the dog vs mink video I meant to post after the coyote one.....

http://youtu.be/1YD2QQ58HqQ
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm

vulpis wrote:The sapphire and the black cross are very pretty ^^ But I have to admit I've got a thing for the black one with the white spot on the chin! So adorable. I have a cat that looks almost the same, all black with the white spot on her chest.

Pure black without any white is my all time favorite color, carrot top red (this color can show up in the natural wild mink as well as in some mutations like Pastels) is my second favorite color, my third favorite is a milk chocolate brown without a spot of white, my fourth favorite has to be a nice black and white Jaguar, and a really super light Pearl that looks pure white is my fifth favorite.

vulpis wrote:Are you serious? :O I didn't know the color of the mink had an influence on its behavior! That's interesting to know. Do you happen to know the reason why? All I know about the influence of the color in foxes is that some colors are associated to the fox's size, smell and hereditary diseases (like anemia, for the pure platinum and whitemark foxes).

Yes certain fox colors tend to be naturally tamer as well. As with a lot of animals (Pigeons, rats, ect) many of the color mutations tend to be more calm than the natural wild colored animals. Just like foxes many of the mutant colors for mink also have health problems, and weaker immune systems.
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:09 pm

A couple last comments. There are mink out there that would do just fine with a ferret, there are mink that would do TOO good with a ferret and not really bond to you, and there are mink that no matter what you do will end up killing or maiming their once ferret "friend". What I'm getting at is it will depend on two things, only one of which is in your control. How you raise the mink, and it's own personality. Be aware that the mink you are watching in that video is very young. My guess is it's around 9 weeks old maybe younger. I'm not saying this mink didn't end up growing up just fine with a ferret as a friend, I have no idea, I'm just saying don't get too excited as it's just a baby mink. I do know multiple people who have mink that get along just fine with ferrets, but I also know people who have lost or almost lost pet ferrets and skunks to their over zealous mink. And may I remind you that the all the mink who savaged the ferrets and the skunk were raised with the ferrets and skunk and were just fine until the mink got to a certain age. I have one friend who has a raccoon who gets along great with some mink, but other mink end up bullying and terrorizing the poor raccoon, so it varies from individual to individual. I personally just avoid getting any animal I don't want to die around my mink. I don't see any reason for "socializing them" with anything but humans, or possibly mink. I'm not saying don't try. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm just saying be careful. Go ahead and try I think it's a good idea to at least try, just be VERY careful.

Those mink bites were pretty sick. Ether she had one crazy mink, or she needs some mink taming/training advice! I've had some bad bites too, but out of the 10 mink I've worked with (8 of which were mine) I don't think all my bites combined times two would compare to her page of bites! Of course I use gloves until I know what the mink is like. That's just common sense to me. However some mink are more unpredictable than others, and maybe that's how she got all her bites. Plus for all I know those bites came from years and years of handling different mink. All I know is, MAN HAVE I BEEN LUCKY!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Seriously my skinny little 1 1/2 pound female mink Missy goes after full grown house cats and small dogs! I have to protect THEM from HER, NOT the other way around.

Missy isn't afraid of anything at this point is she?? :icon-wink:

Here's the dog vs mink video I meant to post after the coyote one.....

I love all the comments underneath that video about people claiming how easily their dogs could kill a mink, all I can think is how little they know about mink if they think it's that easy xD

carrot top red (this color can show up in the natural wild mink as well as in some mutations like Pastels)

There are red mink?! I haven't come across those in my searches at all, red animals have always been my favourites, hence why I used to breed red mice & show a Thrianta rabbit xD

As for the ferrets, I'm not expecting any miracles, so long as I end up with a mink that's happy with me & won't bully me then I won't push my luck :lol: In an ideal world I could let it have the occasional play with the ferrets but it's not like I'm planning on locking them up in the same cage & hoping they'll play happy family, that would be a bloodbath. I'll try the mink out with them when it's smaller & see how things go from there, that way of he's smaller & he reacts badly to them then obviously stop it there. Having said that he could just attack them out of the blue some day (like some of the owner's foxes have to their pet cats) so the whole ferret - mink thing is probably just a bad idea...
Attachments
Igy Thrianta.doc
(84.5 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
aries.doc
(126 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:19 pm

FrothingMagpies wrote:There are red mink?! I haven't come across those in my searches at all, red animals have always been my favourites, hence why I used to breed red mice & show a Thrianta rabbit xD

Here's what I mean by red mink.

This is my buddies Pastel mink (the one I'm considering breeding to Roxy, depending of course on how I like my new black male)

http://youtu.be/oXRpujBWRfw

Here are some red wild mink (as far as I know they are not a color mutation like Baloo is, just a more redish version of the wild color)

http://en.ni.is/media/dyrafraedi/spendy ... ur_big.jpg

http://jubchuqun.com/Journal/pictures/mink-100910.jpg

Here's another mutation that is an even brighter red

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Thank you! They're all gorgeous, especially the last one. Just another thing to add to my wish-list I guess ;) Are they common in the fur trade?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Dear god.... Tell me this isn't real O_o http://www.old.furcommission.com/farming/grading.htm
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 pm

FrothingMagpies wrote:Dear god.... Tell me this isn't real O_o http://www.old.furcommission.com/farming/grading.htm

The photo? Yes but 1 it's fat and 2 the angle makes it look much much bigger than it is.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Definitely, definitely a fat mink! I can see what you mean about the angle but still, it's huge!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Actually it's still mostly a simple angle/perspective trick.

Check this out.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”