please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Wolverine

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Chase
Banned
Banned

Wolverine

Postby Chase » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Anyone ever considered a pet wolverine? I heard they're pretty vicious in nature, but I'm sure that if they're hand raised they can have a good bond with their owner. Anyone had or knew someone with a tame wolverine?
And of course pictures are appreciated!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wolverine

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Yes there is a guy with them in Alaska and they are great personality and bond very well. Very destructive though. You can find a few YT videos.

You can't get them as pets though because they are very hard to breed in captivity. Harder to breed than Pandas at this point.

They are actually listed as endangered in my state. You might be able to get some wild from a state that the are not endangered in but they would never be pets and almost definitely would not breed either. So no reason.
prk22

Postby prk22 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm

Yeah I think I know that guy you are talking about. He gets a litter every 5 years or so...and supplies to zoos...though the birthrate is low in general, the birthing process is hard on them, and an alarming statistic die in the process (or so it is being assumed due to a SLOW rise in numbers).

I go back and forth on this animal...I love it for what it is, I think man really takes away from this particular species since there is so much that is not known of them to date.

Not a lot of people work with them from what I understand.
~Pätrick
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 am

If you want to learn about the true wolverine you need to read the book "The Wolverine Way" by Douglas Chadwick. Basically all the information known to man about the illusive wolverine is in that book. That book clears up A LOT of miss understandings on the species. Wild adult wolverines actually can be tamed and turned into pretty nice pets (for a wild animal that is. Don't be stupid and start thinking they will be just like a dog, cat, ferret, or any other domesticated animal!) Wolverines really aren't as hard as they make themselves out to be in the wild. From what I've read, they are actually easier to work with than their smaller cousin the mink!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”