PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FrothingMagpies

Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 am

I didn't formally introduce these two sooner because I wouldn't really consider them to be exotics but this is the ferrets & family section so I presume it's okay.

I had wanted a ferret for a long long time & not being able to find any good breeders in my area, I went into the only pet shop which deals with them in my city & ordered one to come just after I finished my final exams so I'd have time over the summer to spend with it while it grew up before starting college.

When I went in to pick up my long awaited ferret I saw to my horror that the pet shop had ordered about 20 ferrets, & crammed them all into one tiny cage. There is little to no demand for pet ferrets where I live so that was really worrying. I had already known the pet shop wasn't the best, but I didn't have a lot to work with. Still, I didn't think they'd do this.

I had fun handling the ferrets & I was torn between two, a cinnamon & an albino, both female like I wanted. I settled on the cinnamon (at least I think that's what she is, I can't really differentiate between cinnamons & champagnes).

So Wyvern waddled into my life. Ferrets really remind me of Asian dragons with their long slinky bodies (especially the one in Spirited away, "Haku") & I was stuck for a name so chose Wyvern, which is a name for a two legged bat-like dragon. She quickly came accustomed to life as a shoulder ferret. She learned to go into town, on walks, buses, shops etc with me by perching on my shoulder, & crawling into the hoods of my jackets when she gets sleepy for a nap. Sometimes she likes resting in my bag too if it's cold, rainy or if there are too many people around. She has a leash & harness & collar too, but she doesn't walk very fast & I don't walk her in places with too many people in case someone steps on her by accident (or on purpose, some people really seem to hate ferrets for some reason).

It took me a while to get used to a ferrets body & vocal language, & it took her a while to learn to bite gently, but we got there in the end. Litter tray training never happened: she just knew what to do straight away & she's perfectly clean. She likes playing with my dog but gets sleepy quickly & climbs up my leg & into my arms when she wants a break. She's also very greedy & if I'm eating/drinking anything she will wait on my shoulder/head & try to shove her face in-between my mouth & the food to get it first if she can :lol:

So about a month later I went back to the pet shop to pick up something & I went to check up on the ferrets. The were still cramped in that tiny cage in their own filth & the little albino female I had wanted hadn't grown at all. Poor nutrition & too much competition for food had stunted her growth. I asked if I could handle her on a whim & the shop owner opened the cage & hit back all the other ferrets roughly, grabbed her by her head & she started squeaking & thrashing. He dropped her in my hands & walked away to deal with another customer. She was terrified & very fear aggressive. Her bones were protruding & her coat was wet from urine & very yellow (yellow casts to a ferrets coats aren't necessarily an indication of poor health, but when they are that extreme in such a young ferret it's a god indication of poor diet & overall care). She kept biting & drawing blood but my mind was made up, I wasn't leaving her.

So I bought her & walked with my friends to the bus stop to take her home. They had all met Wyvern & loved her, but they seriously doubted her sister could be tamed, she was very, very bitey & kept hissing. They suggested naming her after some horror movie monsters, but I decided on Princess Bubblegum partially for irony, partially after a character from Adventure Time. So that as my second ferret bought & named.

She was admittedly difficult to tame. Things got better once I learned that she was only really afraid of hands & faces, because I think, that was all she saw of people in the pet shop high up in her cage. Unusually for a ferret she didn't bite feet. She put on weight & lost a lot of that dirty yellow shade to her fur once she was on a better diets (Mine get a mixture of things: James Wellbeloved kibble, lamb, beef, chicken, bones to knaw on, & fish. they also love chicken feet to knaw on).

She never really became a good people ferret or a shoulder ferret. She LOVES play wrestling with my dog though :lol: they spend hours together chasing each other around the house & they're never too rough with each other. PB doesn't really like new people, & sadly she managed to kill my two Egyptian Spiny mice soon after her arrival so she isn't really liked by anyone but me & my dog XD Wyvern just ignores her mostly ;) She doesn't bite me anymore & actually is more affectionate than Wyv now! She insists on licking my face every morning while I make their breakfast & nuzzles against my chin & neck.

They both loves stealing anything made of rubber & we are constantly engaged in a battle of epic proportions to the rights on my ink bottles as they have rubber syringe/dropper style caps which they love. When they puncture these caps they end up covered in ink & I end up with rainbow ferrets to wash xD
Attachments
wyvern ferret.jpg
snubby.jpg
snubby.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
pb.jpg
snubbles.jpg
Talys

Re: Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

Postby Talys » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am

Oh wow! Those two are two beautiful, adorable little girls. I'm really glad you rescued the other one from pet shop, and love that you made up your mind and worked with her. That's something awe-inspiring when others do things like that.
I love the references for naming Wyvern (along with the name itself)! Yeah for another Spirited Away fan :piggy:
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

There was probably a minimum order limit when ordering the ferrets. I know there often is when ordering nonliving products for a store.

Glad your two are doing well.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Thank you Talys! ^.^ & yes, I'm quite a big Studio Ghibli fan! I think one of my all-time favourite animation moments is in Princess Mononoke with the forest pond, & how translucent it looks & the realistic ripples on the water. It was really simple but effective.

& TamanduaGirl, I can understand that, it's not really feasible to order one single ferret, but what I can't understand is why they crammed them into tiny cover crowded cages when they had much larger escape proof ones available or why they they always filthy when I went in :/
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Yeah that's not good. I guess from a strictly money stand point maybe they didn't want to fill other cages they might be trying to sell. If the other cages are empty and permanent then it would just be from being lazy.
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Ah goodness I'm trying so hard not to start a full Miyazaki-nerdism! Princess Mononoke...jeesh I love that theme with all my heart! Anyways, welcome :D Are ferrets not really popular over there?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Trust me, this pet shop is just bad news :/ I'm not going on a PETA-esque rant, but their conditions are just... Yeah anyway I think the best way of describing this place is how I even stayed in contact with them - I'm a practising to be a taxidermist & I collect specimens from them to work on. Now every pet shop has casualties, I get that. I've kept a lot of "small fry" & they're frail & delicate, I know. But the sheer number I get from there, & the awful condition they come to me in is suspicious. Ofc this started happening after I bought my ferrets, I wouldn't have supported them if I had really known beforehand.

Hahahha, I understand completely, trying to hold back is hard! The first proper anime I watched was Spirited Away when my dad bought a copy when I was younger & my mum went away doing voluntary work for nearly a month to cheer me up. I thought it was really wierd & when I showed my friends they HATED it (you know what a problem that is when you're younger ;)), but every now & then I'd sneakily watch it by myself cuddled up with my fat rabbit <3
& I downloaded that theme too! I love listening to it when I walk in the forest with my dog, it's my guilty pleasure.

& nope! Ferrets are really only used for hunting here. I don't know anyone else keeping them as pets, but obviously there must be others. Most people seem to like mine when we go on walks or when they're on me when I go into shops, but then there's some very hateful people who say you can never trust them, they'll go for my throat & choke me, I'll never tame them, they'll bite anyone they can, they're wild animals, they're stoats, they're mink, they're rodents, they're over grown rats.... It's crazy.
Especially as the whole time they're ranting at me Wyv is usually sleeping in my arms or playing with my hair or trying to lick my ears & just being cute, minding her own business.
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Hahahha, I understand completely, trying to hold back is hard! The first proper anime I watched was Spirited Away when my dad bought a copy when I was younger & my mum went away doing voluntary work for nearly a month to cheer me up. I thought it was really wierd & when I showed my friends they HATED it (you know what a problem that is when you're younger ;)), but every now & then I'd sneakily watch it by myself cuddled up with my fat rabbit <3
& I downloaded that theme too! I love listening to it when I walk in the forest with my dog, it's my guilty pleasure.

This. It was for me too! I gave my friends nightmares from making them watch it with me xD. Not sure what I cuddled with...hmm...Oh my gosh that sounds like an amazing guilty pleasure! ;) It's interesting, at least to me, that you can walk in with them to shops and just around in general. You get people like that with all animals though really..-.-
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm

Hahah, aww, our boring friends, hmm? ;) I'm not even sure the forest walking with the theme song is guilty any more, just pleasure! Especially as my dog is white so if I tried really hard I guess I could pretend that she is Moro... She's a bit too small though ;)
I tend to get nervous around crowded places, it helps me a lot to have an animal with me, I have their welfare to concentrate on & distract me, so it's really helpful to have Wyvern with me when I'm in town ^.^
& yes! I feel like I shouldn't even complain about people being grumpy with my ferrets when you see some of the awful stuff people on here have to deal with with their animals, I mean proper serious harassment endangering them & their pets :/
Attachments
lorcan.jpg
hardly a fierce wolf spirit... but at least the ferrets like her
lorcan.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Oh now THAT is priceless! She's a Samoyed right? Anything people harass about pet-wise is just awful. I definitely understand about the crowded places. Nasty things they are ;)
Lol, Moro. She'd make a gorgeous, small, but still gorgeous Moro! They are quite the boring friends! I'd love having someone to watch Spirited Away with!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Yup, she's a Samoyed :3 She's also a therapy dog so now I can bring her with me into nasty crowded places too seeing as when she's wearing her coat she has the same "rights" as a guide dog & can go into shops etc, even if it's not me that needs her as a therapy dog xD
She's way to chicken to be Moro I guess, such a coward! Aw, what about pets? Do you have any to force into watching Spirited away with you?
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Very very nice! I haven't been around once since I was a young lass. ;) But that's really awesome she's a therapy dog. Well, I mean pets make for great 'therapy' whether we need them or not, right? :D
Hahah, well I'm sure my fish, Ares would just love to watch with me (I honestly wouldn't put it past him), but my two cats are at home while I'm away at uni.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I met my first Samoyed when I was young too, he was called Ben & he seemed HUGE to me xD Yes they do! we haven't been assigned our place yet, but once we have it'll be great to see the effect she has on the people we visit over time. Aw no! It must suck to be away from them :/ I'm moving out next year too, I'm really going to miss my zoo too.
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Any chance of your girls going with you? :/ It does suck, I miss my two girls a ton and nuzzling my face into their fur.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:35 pm

I really don't think so, the accommodation does allow animals, but they smell really bad. They're clean & healthy, they just smell :/ They will smell less when they're spayed, but not much less. I don't mind it so much but I really can't ask anyone else to put up with that. I will be able to bring my mink when I get one as they don't smell & are ideal apartment pets if you give them the time, but I really just wish I could bring my ferrets ;/ They'll be okay though, they have a whole shed to themselves & my parents don't mind caring for them.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”