PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Re: Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

Postby Talys » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:03 pm

That's cool the accommodation allows animals! A whole shed?? Woah, that's better than my accommodations at uni! :P
Mink make great apartment pets? How so, what ways? I guess that's really opposite of what I picture when I think of mink.
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Oops, I somehow thought I had already replied to this ^^''
Yep, there's an estate park where all the houses are basically normal houses but instead of a family living there they're crammed with double the amount of people & they're all students, so the gardens are actually pretty big & pet friendly. W're hoping to get a smaller house though because less people is just easier. The garden will be smaller then but I still consider that a good compromise.

Well I suppose some people would disagree with keeping wild animals in apartments at all, but I think mink adapt pretty well. They don't smell like ferrets do & are easy enough to litter train (depends on the individual mink), don't make loud noises, aren't very destructive in the way say a dog or a cat could be (they might steal your things & hide them like ferrets, but they won't chew furniture or dig up the carpet) & from what I can tell even the wildest most aggressive pet mink co operate well with a leash & harness because they connect it with having a fun time outside, so you can give them plenty of exercise to keep them happy & stimulated ^.^ I suppose I'm thinking about it more from the human's perspective because I kind of have to if I'm going to attempt to keep a mink with other people in the same house, but the mink I met in Paris were all apartment pets & didn't seem stressed or unhappy there.
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Haha, I do that all the time! :P
I really wish that was how they set it up here. Is it all pet friendly over there? Gardens O.o That really just all sounds beautiful and awesome. I agree with the less people bit. Easier to manage and all that. Big groups are just bulky and hard to deal with.

Woah! I might just be getting on the mink train! So their destructive levels are generally lower than both a dog and a cat? I watched Minkenry's videos, and with all the work he put into them, at least some seemed to respond really positively to human interaction - even to the point of wanting it. I'm guessing it is even better on that side of the pond? What about housing in an apartment and them getting out?

How is the mink-acquisition going anyway?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 am

No for the most part student accommodation isn't pet friendly here either :/ In one of my friend's places they not only ban pets in general but go into such specific detail as "including insects" which I just had to laugh at :L that's a proper apartment block just for students though. I didn't really believe my friend at first when she said that the place we're planning on moving to accepts pets but then she told me about some of the crazier things people have gotten up to in there (over the top parties & things) & how the landlords have to deal with so many wilder students that as long as you keep your head down they won't bother you about a pet if it isn't causing any trouble.

& yes! Less people means less conflict for pone thing ;D

I think so. Having said that I haven't had a mink yet so I feel like until I do have one I won't really know what I'm getting myself into xD They'd be much more active than a dog or a cat, that much I know, so I presume they need a lot more attention, but I don't think they're destructive. & I'm loving Mikenry's videos too! They're a really good insight to what working with mink is like I think ^.^ that's what I've noticed with mink that I really like they seem to choose human interaction & actually want it, like you say.

As for housing I'm thinking of buying a large ferret cage for while I'm not supervising it & then letting it "free range" for want of a better term when I'm around with a litter tray out I the room for it. I don't think it will be able to slip out of the apartment without me noticing, my only worry ids finding a way of opening windows without it climbing out! I think I'll have to solve that problem when I see what the windows are actually like.

Right now the mink acquisition is kind of paused because I have a load of deadlines this month, so I have to focus on them right now. But I'm thinking of trying to trap a wild one & taming it like Minkenry to see if that works, because they're actually an unwanted alien pest over here so it's not upsetting any natural balance & the mink are all heavily persecuted here anyway. If that doesn't work then I'll try to work something out with the mink keepers in Paris when I visit there this summer again, but bringing it back home will be difficult & stressful for the mink so I'm trying to avoid that :/ However getting a mink from them means having a much tamer animal which is used to being in an apartment so in that sense it's easier. Oh so complicated! maybe I should stick to boring old hamsters ;P
Talys

Postby Talys » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:09 pm

No for the most part student accommodation isn't pet friendly here either :/ In one of my friend's places they not only ban pets in general but go into such specific detail as "including insects" which I just had to laugh at :L that's a proper apartment block just for students though. I didn't really believe my friend at first when she said that the place we're planning on moving to accepts pets but then she told me about some of the crazier things people have gotten up to in there (over the top parties & things) & how the landlords have to deal with so many wilder students that as long as you keep your head down they won't bother you about a pet if it isn't causing any trouble.

& yes! Less people means less conflict for pone thing ;D

I think we only have like 3 universities/colleges here that allow pets (I really should have gone there, especially since its in Florida!!!) Insects though?! Really?! Like what ladybugs?! Well I suppose when the landlords have all that, pets really don't cause as much trouble as people do in all honesty. Partying drunks or pets...hmmm.

I think so. Having said that I haven't had a mink yet so I feel like until I do have one I won't really know what I'm getting myself into xD They'd be much more active than a dog or a cat, that much I know, so I presume they need a lot more attention, but I don't think they're destructive. & I'm loving Mikenry's videos too! They're a really good insight to what working with mink is like I think ^.^ that's what I've noticed with mink that I really like they seem to choose human interaction & actually want it, like you say.

As for housing I'm thinking of buying a large ferret cage for while I'm not supervising it & then letting it "free range" for want of a better term when I'm around with a litter tray out I the room for it. I don't think it will be able to slip out of the apartment without me noticing, my only worry ids finding a way of opening windows without it climbing out! I think I'll have to solve that problem when I see what the windows are actually like.

Well I will be absolutely sure to go off of your experience then :D The one video with the mink (I forget which one) where it just begs for attention and then runs up the other guy's leg is really driving me towards a mink. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who noticed it, because if they really have that disposition - it's amazing to think what they would be like in a domesticated-friendly sense, like over at the Institute. They just have to be so expensive!
Would a large, multi-level ferret nation work then? I wonder if having them on a steel ring with a long line inside would work? Or would they come to the harness do you think?

Right now the mink acquisition is kind of paused because I have a load of deadlines this month, so I have to focus on them right now. But I'm thinking of trying to trap a wild one & taming it like Minkenry to see if that works, because they're actually an unwanted alien pest over here so it's not upsetting any natural balance & the mink are all heavily persecuted here anyway. If that doesn't work then I'll try to work something out with the mink keepers in Paris when I visit there this summer again, but bringing it back home will be difficult & stressful for the mink so I'm trying to avoid that :/ However getting a mink from them means having a much tamer animal which is used to being in an apartment so in that sense it's easier. Oh so complicated! maybe I should stick to boring old hamsters ;P

Hahaha, but it's an adventure! I don't know any hamsters that are this exciting!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

Yeah, the insects rule just seems crazy to me. Maybe someone had a pet tarantula or a hissing cockroach or some other "scary" bug & there were complaints about it being unsanitary (even though there was probably a pile of dishes in the sink growing their own penicillin... oh students). I honestly think so long as a pet isn't disturbing anyone or damaging anything they should just be allowed to keep it :/ I agree, pets over partying drunks anyway! I much prefer an evening playing with my ferrets or hiking with my dog to standing uncomfortably in some club :lol:

Thats whats surprising me about them too, for such an anti-social, solitary creature with an awful rep to actually turn out to actively seek out human company. The ones I met in France were very closely bonded with their owners, easily as much as their dogs. The one caught from the wild, Yuka, rolled over on command & everything. Not that I'm so much impressed by "oh what cute tricks" but that they choose to co operate & please their humans. I think we're onto something special here with keeping them as pets!
I am seriously considering saving up for an institute mink someday. Maybe it'll just stay a daydream, but who knows, I could get a job & save a little every month & by the time I graduate I might be close.
& thats what I'm thinking, a large ferret cage. From what i can tell on the facebook mink page a lot of owners keep them in ferret cages.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

The problem is that unfortunately students are human and prone to stupid things. I'm not saying all students but there are always cases where college students get a pet then once summer hits or they are done with school they just leave it. So they may have been finding a abandoned tarantulas and such left in rooms.

Midge Grinstead, executive director of the Lawrence Humane Society in Lawrence, Kans., where the University of Kansas is located, says they usually get an average of 50 more pets in December and May then they see throughout the rest of the year.

"Most of them are hand-held pets or cats," says Grinstead. "Rabbits and ferrets and cats are generally easier to hide in a dorm or apartment, we've even found a snake and a tarantula dead in a closet."
http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers/fe ... ?num=26233

So it's because if idiots like that.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm

WHAT. Okay that is just unimaginable to me. People always seem to think of more new ways to be cruel & lazy & irresponsible than I can believe. Wow, just wow. I can't imagine just abandoning an animal like that. Thanks for the info, it's offering new perspective, but jeez what idiots. I'm just going to cut myself off before I start ranting, but basically it drives me crazy when people don't think ahead when they're getting pets.
Talys

Postby Talys » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Definitely a kindred spirit! Could make that penicillin into an experiment for bio though :P
Why would anyone leave a tarantula?!!? I'd love to get into this more and research it and define it more. If even tamed mink from the wild choose and have that desire to please humans, how much more would that be enhanced if they became domesticated and bred towards that. I mean this could be big! And they have capabilities, hunting and such. So there's purpose to it. I would love one from the institute! If only they weren't so much. Well, if it works, that's awesome, I can see the compatibility with the apartment more and more. Well that's it I'm on board!

.......I just absolutely love people...
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:44 am

Thats creative thinking ;)
It's really interesting isn't it? I mean, for comparison, ferrets have been domesticated for roughly 2,000 years & if you get them off their harnesses & leashes on a walk they'd just scamper off, you couldn't still trust them to follow you like a dog. But I've come across a few people keeping mink saying they can let their's run free with them & they come back on command. Maybe that's just due to them being more intelligent though.

I have yet to find this & read it properly but there is a little section on wikipedia on their intelligence "An early behavioral study was performed in the 1960s to assess visual learning ability in minks, ferrets, skunks, and house cats. Animals were tested on their ability to recognize objects, learn their valences and make object selections from memory.Minks were found to outperform ferrets, skunks, and cats in this task, but this letter (short paper) fails to account for a possible conflation of a cognitive ability (decision making, associative learning) with a largely perceptual ability (invariant object recognition)" obviously, it being wikipedia we can't trust it exactly, but it's interesting.

I'd definitely prefer a mink to a fox from the institute, so little has been said about them. I'd love to get a wild (well, feral seeing as they aren't native here) & a farm mink too & be able to compare them all.
Talys

Postby Talys » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Just a good use of irresponsible student resources :P
Still the intelligence level is key I suppose, for training and all that. They even out-did cats? I mean cats are fully domesticated, but again, a lot of cats just don't have that desire to please. That's really fascinating. Especially since others have tested for this already as well! We're not the only ones thinking along these lines.
I love both (fox was my original passion and love), but a mink might be more feasible.

Edit: I've also been gathering books and materials on mink, on Amazon.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Is there any other kind?? ;)
Apparently! It must be really hard to test cats though, I can't imagine them being motivated enough to do whatever tasks were asked of them. What an odd collection of animals to test though, I wonder what they were testing for originally & why. But yes, we don't seem to be the first stumbling onto using mink. Apparently they used to be used as ratters too but I suppose ferrets are easier to handle for simple tasks like that.

Oh! Let me know what books you find!
Talys

Postby Talys » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Haha, we'll there's our kind of student!
Exactly. Motivation is not in their system. Tolerance, sure. That's a really good point though. I mean why add cats to skunks, ferrets, and mink? Hmm, they're mainly companion animals in France though correct? Maybe it was a test for motivation and intelligence?

I'll give you the list I have right now on Amazon. It's awesome that so much of it coincides with fox things.

Nutrient Requirements of Mink and Foxes (Nutrient Requirements of Domestic Animals)

Mink Farming, How to Start, Buildings, Care and Feed, and Its Possibilities (Classic Reprint)

Domestic Mink

Nutrition And Nutritional Physiology Of The Mink: A Historical Perspective
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:12 am

Whats wierd about that choice of animals to be is that they aren't all pets or wild animals, it's a mix. Well out of anywhere in the world France seems to be where the most pet mink are kept but they aren't popular or common on a nationwide scale, like the average person there would just think it was a ferret.

Oh yes I guess they would coincide because they're both farmed for fur!
& thanks for the book names, I'm very interested in the mink farming & domestic mink ones, I might invest in them ;)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Very weird how many similarities I see between us. I love Spirited Away, I own two ferrets of similar colors to yours (the champagne or cinnamon - I can't really tell the difference either! and a silver that is pretty much a DEW now), I first got my cinnamon and later went back for the DEW who no one apparently wanted, I had egyptian spiny mice (though I think it was my cinnamon that killed them rather than how it was your white ferret that killed yours), and I want a mink.

By the way, Talys, I found Nutrient Requirements of Mink and Foxes online for free, the whole thing as a PDF file. You can find it here: http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=1114
Just press cntrl and F at the same time, type "download" and find next, it is the second instance of "download" on the page for the link. It's fairly hard to miss on the page anyway but for anyone having trouble finding it, that's the best way to narrow it down.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”