PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Re: Wyvern & Princess Bubblegum

Postby Talys » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Another Spirited Away fan?! I'm in the right place.

Thank you so much!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:18 am

Woah that's a bit eerie! Actually that's just incredible when you add them all up! Have you seen Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki? It's not a Ghibli but it's about a family that can change into wolves & it seems like if you like anime & like this board then you'd probably love it. & I'm sorry to hear about your spiny mice, I know I was devastated when mine were killed. Are there any mink farms in your area or are you thinking of trapping one or what? :)

& thanks for the nutrition information! I'll check that out now.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:20 am

Have you seen Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki? It's not a Ghibli but it's about a family that can change into wolves & it seems like if you like anime & like this board then you'd probably love it.

I haven't seen that or heard of it before. I wouldn't say that I like anime as a whole as it's not something I seek out to watch and I've only seen a couple anime movies. If I ever get the chance, I will check it out. It sounds interesting.

I'm sorry to hear about your spiny mice too. I wasn't terribly close with mine so the loss was more about feeling bad for them and what they went through by being killed by my ferrets.

There are many mink farms here in the US, several in my state even, but considering it's illegal to buy from them, I haven't done so. I've never seen any from proper USDA licensed pet breeders before. Trapping one from the wild would be illegal too. Maybe a pet breeder will pop up someday and I can get one then. They are such fascinating, incredible animals.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:23 am

I like some anime, but like you say, I don't actively seek it out. It's more a case of my friends being really into it & suggesting things to me. But I'm definitely into all the Studio Ghibli stuff ^.^

My spinies were pretty wild when I got them but I managed to tame them down pretty well, they ended up being really happy to sit just inside my jumper with their heads poking out above my zipper. It was such a shame that PB got to them >.<

I know Tiny Tracks used to breed them, I can't say I know if he still does or not. & I think I was hunting through here & read that sometimes they appear at the Mount Hope auction I have no idea of where you live or where these places are, but hopefully ones a possibility for you.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Maybe even if Dave doesn't breed them he might be able to get one for a person if they ask since he has fur farm connections.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:46 pm

My spinies were kinda wild, too. Not aggressive (though they did escape in the past and one of them bit me when I was trying to catch it), just a bit skittish is all. I also had African Soft Furred rats that died out on their own. They were really cool, but naturally much more wild than the Egyptian Spiny Mice are. I had a trio of them and hoped that they would breed but they never did. When one male and one female died off, I put the lone female in with my spiny mice. She was much larger and of course a different species all together but they lived together just fine until she died. The ASFs were very cool; I'd like to get more.

I had never heard that Tiny Tracks bred mink. I did hear that Hillview had them before, though. I'm very far from Mount Hope sadly so it wouldn't be worth it to drive there (like 14 hours) just in hope (haha pun not originally intended) that there would be one there to buy. Dave is pretty far from me, too. I know someone who might be able to help me get one. I have not asked him yet. I'm guessing the answer will be no. Wouldn't make sense for him to travel to just buy one and resell it to me.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

I had to look up African soft furred rats & I thought they looked familiar, until I realised they're what I've been calling multimammate mice! What are they like as pets? I've heard they can be aggressive, but I've never actually met any so I have no idea. & that's interesting about mixing them! I know how lonely mice can be on their own, it's good they accepted each other.

I *think* Dave used to breed them more for fur than for sale as pets, but that was before I wanted mink, I came across it ages ago. It's a pity about mount Hope :/ Maybe contact any wildlife rescues in your area in case they ever get one that can't be released into the wild?
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Ah yes they have a few names that they go by I think. I got mine as adults and they hadn't been handled much. The species, compared to say the Egyptian Spiny Mouse, is naturally more aggressive and fearful. If you had raised the two species the same way, with no handling, you could still hold the spinies, but not the ASFs. I didn't work with them much, either, so that's part of the reason why they were not tame. The females were not at all handle-able but the one male could be petted.

I have thought of getting more and trying to heavily handle their young in order to tame them. I've seen some information online from people who tamed them to the point of being pets so I'm sure it can be done. They are very interesting to me.

Unfortunately, it would be illegal here for wildlife rescues/rehabs to give the wildlife away to be kept as pets. In my state, you can't keep any animals from the wild. I was told that even rehabbers have to euthanize animals that cannot be released. Sad :(
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:37 pm

At least we have Latin names to fall back on when animals have a lot of common names like multimammates! & that's really interesting, they're so pretty & sweet looking I wouldn't expect them to be quite so aggressive. I think I personally prefer spinies & duprasi/fat tailed gerbils, except for their tails. I don't really mind the tails, but if their was a bobtail strain I think I'd go for one of those instead.

I'm trying to avoid keeping rodents again though because I'd end up being too tempted & have a large collection & no time or money for any larger critters :'D How long did you have your colony for?

Ah that is really sad! Especially if they're otherwise healthy & just a little too tame or not in pain but not physically fit enough for survival in the wild. I can see why they have to do it it's just upsetting. I always wanted to work with animals until about 4 years ago when I realised that I would be too strongly effected in situations like that, & without friends that are as passionate about animals around me to talk about it with & lighten the load it would just end up depressing me too much. Still, I'm happy now being able to still have animals around me as pets & wildlife without having to make as many harsh decisions on a daily basis.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”