https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Runaway ferret

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FrothingMagpies

Runaway ferret

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 am

Wyvern escaped sometime last evening & I can't find her anywhere ;__;

I've searched the whole garden & asked all the neighbour's if they've seen her & checked all of their gardens & the farmland & asked the farmers to keep an eye out for her, & put up posters & set a live catch trap baited with treats by the shed in case she comes back on her own... Is there anything else I can do?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Runaway ferret

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:42 am

I'm sorry, that's so hard when an animal gets loose. I really hope she comes back. Maybe put some raw meat in the trap too?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:13 am

If there's any sound she might come to you can try that, like a rattle/squeak toy, or a can opening.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:59 am

Thats actually whats in the trap, some raw chicken & her favourite crunchy treats (actually for cats, but meat is meat I suppose!), thanks for the suggestion. & I'll try wiggling her leash when I'm out looking of her again today, theres a bell on it && she always comes waddling furiously over anytime she hears it.
Someone thinks they saw her in the dark, & if they're right she's travelled much further than I thought she would have & she managed to cross a road without getting hurt. Seeing as I have no idea of where she'll end up & most people will think she's a wierd kind of stoat or something if they see her I wrote my number on a load of little paper slips & handed them out to everyone in the village so they can call me if they think they see something. Thy all think I'm mad now & some of them openly laughed in my face, which I don't think would have happened if she was a kitten or a puppy or something instead, but it'll be worth it if I find her.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 am

Oh no :( I really hope you find her. Reminds me of when my Alex (raccoon) escaped last year. He was gone for months, I took him for dead. Then one day he showed up and has been here since (I put him back up in his pen and then later inside a part of the house, where he lives now). Keep us posted. Fingers crossed.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Four months?! Okay, I know that's exceptional, & you have an amazing raccoon who could fend for himself with no training, but that's really encouraging to hear, thank you for sharing!
I don';t have any more news on Wyvern except that the weather is really bad right now, which is obviously worrying, but there area lot of rabbit warrens around so hopefully she has found herself somewhere to shelter down one of them :/
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 pm

For rather than four. I am not sure how long he was gone for, the thread is still here on this forum in the raccoon section called "I don't know what to do". It was a few months or so, though. Might have been four months, probably not much more than that, though. I don't know what happened to him, of course. He had escaped other times and would return in hours. I wonder if someone trapped him to keep him as a pet and he escaped from them.

I am concerned for you and Wyvern. I really, really hope she's alright. I know how awful it can be to have this sort of thing happen.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Oh oops, not really sure of how I misread that but apparently I did, sorry! Thats still really impressive though, I would have assumed that once he would have escaped & adapted he wouldn't have come back, even though his life with you would be much easier & less stressful, obviously I would be under estimating his good life choices ;) & thats an interesting theory, that someone might have noticed how tame he was & tied to keep him.

& thank you for your concern, I really hope she's safe & fed somewhere too. I keep looking out for a little pale body bobbing along the ground any time I'm outside or near a window, but it's just wishful thinking. & whenever I go in the car I'm dreading seeing her on the road, but thankfully that hasn't happened. I suppose this is all normal when a pet goes missing but I can't help thinking if we kept more normal pets than raccoons & ferrets then they'd be in less danger of coming across people who might hurt them on their travels because they don't want to understand them :/ but maybe I'm over thinking things
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 am

New development! So I still haven’t found Wyvern, but I might be getting her sister?

Her owner bought her on impulse without any knowledge of ferrets & quickly grew bored of her & dumped her in a box at the end of the garden. She hasn’t been neutered, has no plans to be neutered, is fed kitchen scraps (ferrets are obligate carnivores, they can’t digest anything but meat, for those who aren't familiar with them), isn’t cleaned out (the rain is just meant to wash away her faeces), has no shelter or source of warmth, is never handled & seems to obsessively pace back & forth. Plus her two dogs want to kill it.

So while I might not have found my baby yet, some good has come out of this & I might be rescuing her sister soon! She’s a cinnamon like Wyv & is really skittish but not bitey from what I can tell.
Will keep you updated on both ferrets!
keepsmiling

Postby keepsmiling » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:37 am

I am so sorry you have lost Wyvern, and hope your heart might heal a bit with the new baby. I had a silver mitt decades ago, his name was Cheech. I was young and dumb and allowed him to go loose and he would play with the cat next door, and come home every day. Until one day...he did not come home. :icon-frown:
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:29 pm

I was really hoping to read this thread and find that you found her. So disappointing, though I am glad to hear you may be getting Wyvern's sister! It sounds like she could use a rescuing by someone responsible and loving such as yourself. Any new developments on either story?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:26 pm

@keepsmiling it's so sweet that Cheech used to go visit your neighbour's cat! I love it when animals have interspecies friendships. I used to have a rabbit that was really good at getting out of his hutch & running around the garden & wouldn't escape even though he could have, I know how easy it can be to trust that they'll always come back. For what it's worth, I think it's nicer to have loved & lost a ferret that was happy, had a lot of freedom & a contented life with you then to have one who lived a long life being caged up & miserable.

@the_unstable, still no news on Wyv, sadly. I would love it so much if she came back & found she had gained a new sister into our little "business". I am now definitely taking her sister in, I'm just waiting until our shed is 100% escape proof & all the junk is cleared out before I can fit the new bigger cage in. Then I'll be giving her a bath with anti-parasitic shampoo, clipping those over grown claws, taking her to the vets to be spayed & introducing her to PB!
keepsmiling

Postby keepsmiling » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks, I think I agree. I give my birds the biggest cages, they get out every day, yet it still seems like it is not enough to me. I know a girl who people on a forum give a very hard time to. She has a cockatoo that she has allowed to come and go to a tree outside for over a year. So isn't that the best, like you said, that they get their freedom, yet still want to spend time with you.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 pm

It's sort of common now for people to free flight their pet birds mostly parrots similar to falconry now only without the hunting part. So it's not a problem but it's best to take it slow and train them rather than just let them go and hope they come back.
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 pm

I had no idea people were letting birds play outside, great idea, but I'd be too afraid -
we've got a LOT of hawks here, between those, the free roaming cats..I'd be eating
a jar of rolaids every day! Oh wait, I already do that. :lol:

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”