PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

?? Mongoose ??

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

motdaugrnds

?? Mongoose ??

Postby motdaugrnds » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:55 pm

If this is not the place to inquire about mongoose, please point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for some type of pet that is small enough to fit only 6-acre homestead that will help me take care of the poisonous snakes. (We found 2 "mature" copperheads early this past spring and one was pregnant. My German Shepherd was killed last year by snake bite.)

I am looking at "legal" types of mongoose or the black-footed ferret or some type of legal meerkat. I'm also looking into getting some Amerigan Guinea Hogs.

Cany anyone point me in the direction as to where I might locate some locally(around Virginia, eastern USA)?
http://motdaugrnds.com/farmsales ~~~~~I am what I am! Acknowledging tis is the beginning; and my growth is yet to end!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ?? Mongoose ??

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:15 am

It is illegal to set exotic species free into the environment. Most mongoose are illegal in the USA. The few that are legal aren't available except for cusimanse and the snake will just eat them and so will owls and cats and most every other predator and they are very expensive. If they do survive they wont keep coming home and be tame they will be wild and invasive. Blackfooted ferrets are endangered so you can't have them. Meerkats are illegal on a national lever as are most mongoose because of their history of being invasive and devastating to local wildlife. They tried the importing to control snakes and rats thing in a few places and they just killed off a ton of the bird species instead.

Many people get guinea hens to control snakes. A flock will gang up on a snake to kill and eat it. You still need to protect them from other predators by locking them up at night.

Here's some info on them. http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/ ... ations.php

The best way to rid your area of snakes in to remove the things they like, such as places to hide and food source like rodents. The guinea hens will also eat small rodents.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:38 am

Snakes are very difficult to remove from an area. Even in Texas where they have HUGE rattle-snake roundups, their numbers aren't cut down. And they harvest tons of snakes and make it a big event. This really has not proven to do anything because the snakes can reproduce super fast since now there is a whole new slew of them that they aren't competing with for food.

I mentioned calling an exterminator if you have an infestation, but it sounds like you've really only seen a couple of snakes. You can always call the fire department to come and catch venomous snakes on your property for you when you see them.

The guinea fowl sound like a good idea though. I would definitely look into them. They are also super pretty, I think. :) I don't know much about the hogs, but if they kill snakes, then they sound like they also might be what you're looking for.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
motdaugrnds

Postby motdaugrnds » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:31 am

TamanduaGirl, Thank you for responding. I didn't realize the "cusimanse" (found 5 types of these) could not deal with snakes. I've actually found a number of species that are said to be legal in the USA; however, the information did not include whether or not they would help me with the snake problem. I sure wouldn't want to put any other "pet" in danger; so it's looking like a mongoose may not be feasible.

Ash, I use to live in Texas where those roundups occurred; and you're right. Those snakes just keep on showing up in groves!

We have about 15 guineas flying freely here (roosting in our chicken house most of the time...a few in the back yard trees). I have not seen any circle a snake. (I do recall my aunt who, also, lived in that Texas rattlesnake/copperhead country talking about what she had seen, i.e. guineas surrounding and killing a copperhead.)

As for getting outside help, I don't like asking another to risk their health on my place. So far David has been able to tend to the dangerous species that have shown up (two "grown" copperheads many years ago that showed up in the middle of winter to warm themselves under the door of my brooder where I had brooding lights on at the time AND now this year's two "grown" copperheads David found SLOWLY crawling across my barn floor...sure glad the weather was still cold).

I know copperheads killed my German Shepherd and I'm pretty sure they killed one of my small dairy goats a few years back. (I've never seen any other type of poisonous snake here.) I'm thinking maybe I can soak a few cloths in a bit of gasoline and place those in the area where I suspect they are denning up this winter. By placing those funes in and closing off all exits to that area, maybe that would kill anything there...it certainly takes care of ground bees.
http://motdaugrnds.com/farmsales ~~~~~I am what I am! Acknowledging tis is the beginning; and my growth is yet to end!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”