PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

silverblue mink kit

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FrothingMagpies

silverblue mink kit

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:45 am

I just realised I never announced it here, I'm finally getting a mink kit! Joseph/Minkenry was able to put me in contact with Lyon Ferretry in Denmark & I was able to set things in motion & get on the 2014 list just in time. I'm getting a male silverblue cross! I'll be curious to see if he gets along with my ferret Bubblegum, because she's female & fairly feisty theres a good chance they will be okay, but if not they'll be caged separately & safely. A few other people in the UK are getting kits from the same breeder so she's bringing them over towards the end of this month (roughly, a date hasn't been set) & I'm then travelling over to meet with her & pick up the kit & have a chat about his personality, handling, preferred treats & games etc. He has a passport & will be up to date on all vaccinations, be microchipped & registered, so he's safe to travel. I still have a bit of research to do but I think we'll be taking the ferry back because I think it will be less stressful for him. I'm having trouble tracking down a good supply of frozen whole prey for him, I think all the petshops here have their's couriered form the UK & then they overcharge, so I have to find a way around that. Anyway, I asked the breeder for permission to post some pictures of him & she said she's okay with all the ones she has a water mark on (a pity the cutest ones aren't water marked!) so here he is! His name on his birth cert is Lyon Ferretry's Sleepy Hollow, but I have yet to pick out his proper name.
Also, he's wet in some of them because they have a paddling pool in their playpen & they love dipping in & out of it :lol:

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: silverblue mink kit

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Congratulations. He's cute.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:57 pm

He's such a cutie! You must post pictures of the little man once you get him. I'm always interested to hear how minks are as pets.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:04 pm

I'd love to hear more about him too. I know Minkenry has posted here before but it's good to have other mink keepers here as well.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:44 pm

He's adorable! I can't wait to see more of him. :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Oh look at those beautiful colors, those are just gorgeous. And they look robust and healthy!! Congratulations!
I bet they'll get alone fine, my boys loved to meet ANY animal. :3
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:45 pm

I took my camera in to get repaired today so hopefully it'll be ready for when the kit arrives, ready to document him growing up. Although unfortunately he won't be so young when I get him, he'll be at least half grown but he has been hand raised so he should be sociable. Unlike Minkenry's mink, he's just going to be a spoiled pet, no hunting for this guy! I'm sure keeping him occupied will keep me on my toes. & he should be healthy, I hope. I thought he was a sapphire cross originally & was a little concerned because that colour is linked to a lot of genetic weaknesses, but apparently silverblues bypassed that issue somehow. The breeder says she has selected for tameness in her albino mink & has developed a line of exceptionally tame ones (seems to be true, I've seen videos of her breeder females & even Minkenry was impressed by how accepting they were of someone handling their babies!) & generally recommends them for first time mink keepers. Still, I opted for mine because they seem more "mink" in behaviour to me, & I'm sick of white furred pets by now, most of the pets that have ended up in my life over the last few years have been white (not that cross mink are a huge variation on that, hah).
Now all thats left is to muster up my remaining funds for bringing him home!!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 pm

The breeder just sent me more pictures of my mink, he's really growing up fast! I'm really sad that I'm missing all his baby stages though.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:51 pm

I just relayed I haven't posted any updates here in a while, Kaiju arrived a few months ago & has settled in fine :) He was distant & shy for a while, but in the last 2/3 weeks has really started to make a lot of progress & has relaxed around me a lot, he lets me pet him & pick him up & happily waddles up onto my lap to look for treats & eat out of my hands. I've learned that taming a mink works a little differently to how I thought, I think the main ingredient is just to spend a lot of time around each other, not rushing things & letting them steadily grow to trust you. Food is great, but will only get you so far with them I think ;)
He's reluctant to go into deep water, but likes the basin as a paddling pool & loves the dog's water bowl! I work in a pet shop now, so I get to try a lot of toys with him, so far he loves a playpen originally fro human babies the most, but likes the laser pointer too. Nothing beats swimming in the toilet bowl or pulling out all the plastics of the recycling bin though, naturally these are the two things In wish he wouldn't do. Oh, Animals! I'm dying to start harness training, but I don't think we're there just yet.

ImageImageImage
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:14 pm

How adorable! He's very pretty. :)

How are his potty habits? Even my ferrets are nowhere near perfect and I'd imagine that mink would be worse in terms of litter training.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:17 pm

He's pretty okay with it actually! In his cage he only goes in one spot, when he's free ranging in the house he seems to hold it in until he goes back out. I think he poops a lot less than the ferret, she seems to go more regularly. I get the feeling he probably goes at roughly the same time every day. My theory is this is because the Bubblegum the ferret snacks throughout the day, Kaiju just eats all of his meals once they're given to him straight away (they're fed twice a day so that the raw meat is fresher & because their metabolisms are so quick two smaller meals is better than one bigger one). So his body probably runs like clockwork.
She's actually worse than he is for sticking to the litter tray, she always goes beside her litter tray in her cage, but outside of her cage she sticks to the same few spots. I really need to actively start training them to use trays though, I've been very negligent in that area, oops! It would probably make their daily spot cleans much easier.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:42 pm

That's interesting! I just thought they would be more apt to mark than ferrets. I wish my ferrets were better, but they are on a ceramic floor so it doesn't matter too much. Just spot cleaning once per night and we're all good. :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi all,

On the topic of litter trays. I bought one of the large plastic corner ones and I place newspaper in the base of it. On top of the newspaper I set a plastic stringy place mat I got from tescos which has lots of holes in it. Mick goes in and pees land pops perfectly in it and the pee does not go on his wee feet as it drains through into the newspaper!!
I let him pile up his poo,s a while as he would be taught by his mum in the wild to do that I,ve discovered.
Pooing in one spot in the wild reduced the chance of detection by predators as leaving it all over the place would be an advertisement they are about!! Smart eh!!
I,m trying to devise one I can flush next! Lol Drained to outside sewer system.
I also converted a washing machine drum with its bearing into a running whethoughtful attached it to my living room wall. Guess what! After many hours of thought and blood sweat and tears he didn't,t use!!!!!!! :-( Think I may have insulted him actually. He told me he wasn't, a hamster and to lay of the wheel thing. It was all beautiful lined with plastic grass and all!! Sob!!! He just lay in it a few times and looked at me with disgust and said"
"So you think this may get you out of taking me out for a walk in the rain!!!" " Nooooo I don't,t think so buddy!" Lol Smart!!! You better believe it. I know a lot of humans with much less intelligence. I include myself though for the wheel escapade! :-)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:32 pm

I would keep trying on the wheel it can be good exercise. Will he chase a laser dot like a cat? That can be a good way to motivate a critter to run on a wheel. You could also try a treat or teach him to follow a target then use the target in the wheel as a lure. Wheels are used for cats and other exotics, possums and even racing huskies. He's young he should be able to learn it.

Is it still metal? Maybe it feels odd and should be lined in carpet or something?
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Its lined on inside and outside with plastic grass which feels and looks great but it tends to add a bit of weight to the rotation of the drum which might be putting him off. Bit like having a human running machine on a medium resistance setting I suppose. Will have to rethink with a lighter liner. Possibly light plywood. Holes in drum would catch his toes and lead to injury so has to be lined!
Yes I saw the cat wheels made in England. Hand made and beautiful. And the price! Mmmmm. Princely! £400 minimum! Bit much ya think.
The 2 mile walk probably better for him though and keeps his nailsvin good order.
Just have to suffer the rain eh! Or hey! Maybe line the wheel with sandpaper!!! Ooooch!
Bit much me thinks.
A work in progress. Will try to keep posting if the wee man gives me some time out.:-)

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”