PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

silverblue mink kit

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Talys

Re: silverblue mink kit

Postby Talys » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm not even sure how I missed this! I'm so happy for you! I know how much you've worked for this. :D He is so stinkin' beautiful!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:02 pm

That picture of Kajiu standing looking up at you S would be a brilliant picture for anti fur activists to use on posters to put people of buying the fur coats etc..
Anyone who saw that picture could never ever possibly condone the trade.
Totally amazing picture and really is one of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen!
Apart from Micky of course :icon-wink:
I am not an activist myself.Maybe should be? But life that busy wouldn't,t have time unfortunately.
I would have a very idealistic view point on life myself but unfortunately its not an ideal world for most.
Well done on being a vegetarian S. It is actually the way we are created but I have been unable to stick with a vegetarian diet myself. Have tried but only lasted about 9 months. Chicken is my constant downfall and probably due to its easy availability.
My aches and pains tend to make me go down the comfort food road to often. I tend to find it easier to not eat at all sometimes as in fasting. It has been very very beneficial to me over the last few years.
It was great talking to you on the phone last week and sorry if I seemed to go off the phone in a rush. Micky had been waiting for me to take him out and was getting impatient so had to rush off. Their frantic nature tends to rub of on you. Lol
I may be slowly turning into a mink at this rate. Rushing about and walking the streets in the dark with him. I will draw the line when I start pooping on the floor and in the litter tray!!!
Hope you still having fun. Big commitment though I have realised. But still fun.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm

I love his chubby little cheeks in that one :D Haha, you're talking to a total activist here, I may just take that to heart ;) I'd love to be able to use Kaiju to educate people on mink, to let them know what they're really like. He's already changed a few people's views, I think my boss was definitely not a fan until she saw him, she just said "but wait! He's actually cute!", not exactly the most tactful way of saying it but I don't care!
Hehe, not sure how long ago I said I was a vegetarian on here, I've actually been vegan for a year & a half now! I totally know what you mean about not feeling up to being able to prepare meals sometimes though, I was doing really well until the end of summer when I went on some new meds which kept me sleepy & nauseated without much of an appetite for a while. I was living off toast & peanut butter & coffee for a few months, I just really didn't feel like eating. I didn't notice what damage it was doing until my mouth was full of ulcers. I think my stomach's pH was way off, it was so used to lots of plants before. So I had to bully myself into eating Actual Food again so I'm back on track (kind of. Coffee has still replaced smoothies though, oops).
I know exactly what you mean about mink taking over your life! It's funny how they have you dropping whatever you're doing & running to either stop them from doing something they shouldn't or to get them what they want :') They're so demanding! The houseplants are never safe & all of the reptiles/ amphibians/ insects on my desk need constant protecting. If something goes missing you know it's been dragged into some little mink den.

Little updates on Kaij:
I started being a bit more diligent with his litter tray training, & now he uses it 100% of the time! He absolutely hates to be unclean so I have to stay on top of cleaning it out daily, or he'll start to go right beside it so he can avoid stepping in anything. I have yet to get around to training him to use one in the house, I'd like to get around to him choosing to use the litter box no matter where it is, so we don't have to go through beginning training with every new room he goes into. He's certainly grasping the idea much quicker than Bubblegum the ferret, who still hasn't got it 100%.

Kaiju went on his first holiday with me this week! We're just back from staying at my aunt's farmhouse in Kerry, along with Bubblegum & Lorcan the dog. He went on his first walks on two different beaches & seemed to adapt to being on a harness okay! He also had two mackerel while he was there, & I found a fresh roadkill hare (which the taxidermist in me was seriously excited about, Irish hares are pretty recluse & rare these days mainly due to habitat loss & being coursed by people who travel from the UK & even mainland Europe) so I butchered some of that for the weasels too. So for a mink I guess thats a pretty exciting holiday!

We had a really nasty incident with a vet, so now I'm looking for a new, suitable one. Long story short, Kaiju needed two teeth removed because he had damaged them so much from bar biting when he was alone when he first came here (I can't remember if I've mentioned that or not yet, but I think he was anxious about being on his own in a new place & because he wasn't used to me yet I wasn't able to give him health checks, so I didn't know about it until the damage was done. I'm really ashamed that an animal in my care ended up needing teeth removed so young, I feel so guilty every time I see his mouth. I really don't get why anyone removes an animal's teeth because they're afraid of getting bitten, if you can't handle the animal then don't get one. You shouldn't mutilate them to suit your needs, it's like declawing cats I guess. If it would do any good I'd give him my teeth as replacements, but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way).
Anyway. The vet I met when I dropped Kaiju off in the morning was really nice & completely understanding when Kaij vomited in his carrier box out of nerves. I left feeling that he was safe in capable hands. A few hours later I called back to check in on how he was doing & to find out when I should come to pick him up. The vet told me the time to come at & explained her shift was ending now, so it would be someone else who would hand him over to me, which was fine.
I came back to the surgery when I was told he would be ready, but was kept waiting for an hour and a half, with no explanation. I would be understanding if the surgery was busy but only a couple of people came in & out during that time. When the receptionist finally decided to bring Kaiju out to me I said "hows my stinky little weasel? Feeling sorry for yourself?" & immediately both receptionists went into a big rant about how awful he smells, asking me how I could stand to have that stink in my house, & went on a huge tirade about how urgently he needed to be neutered & he would definitely get cancer straight away if I didn't. I was really taken aback, even an unaltered male mink like Kaij won't smell. Really, I'd admit if he smelt at all, but my spayed female ferret smells more than he does, & I barely even notice that. Also, Kaij isn't in season yet so his testicles haven't descended yet. Mink don't have any health problems from being left intact, almost all mink keepers leave them that way. I sort of didn't know how to react, it was just so rude & condescending, I would never treat a customer that way. I explained that I'm well aware of the pros & cons of neutering & I have made my decision to leave him intact, & I will not be swayed on it. They continued to quiz me on his care in a degrading way, asking if the cage I kept him in was much bigger than his carrier cage, asked me what I fed him & looked disgusted when I said he's on a raw diet, etc etc. I opened his carrier & they immediately starting flapping their hands & saying they didn't want a "vicious unhandleable animal running loose around the clinic". I pulled Kaiju out of his box & onto my chest so he could relax & stroked him, giving them a filthy look. It's not really like me to be like that but they were really getting on my nerves at this point.
Then I saw into his box. The vomit from this morning was still in there, as was a lot of urine & faeces. He'd been left lying in filth for hours while he was drugged, afraid & in pain from his opp. I had trusted them to be competent enough to take care of my poorly animal but they had failed to meet basic welfare standards. His body was covered in stains from the fluids which had by now dried into his coat & he was drooling & panting heavily. The anxiety couldn't really be avoided, but they could have kept him somewhere clean & dry. They could have cleaned the vomit while he was unconscious. They treated both of us horribly & I'm considering making an official complaint. I HATE being that person, I am never that person, I understand working with animals & the public can be stressful & people make mistakes but this is different & I am not okay with other people's animals being exposed to that treatment. Kaij has healed okay & was a champ at taking his painkillers, but I'm never putting him through something like that again :/
Whoops, big rant I know, he's just very close to my heart & this really peeves me.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Sorry about your treatment at the vet. When I took Stewie in when he was dieing I went to the exotic vet since they opened an hour earlier than my current vet and he had lied and told me he had tamandua experience. The staff was scared to touch him or do anything for him like give him water and he was a limp rag by then. I had done better for him at home since I was at least getting some fluids into him. Sounds similar in that they seemed scared/disgusted by your guy instead of treating him like the pet he is.

My current vet isn't an "exotic" vet but she works well with me and the staff is all great and excited to see the anteaters whenever they come in.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:21 pm

Really sorry to hear you had that experience. I couldn't imagine and I think you're well within your rights to file a complaint.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:36 am

I just realised it's been ages since I've had any Kaiju updates, so I'll make up for that with some pictures!
As for life updates, sadly there are now some health concerns for Kaiju. His brother in Scotland recently died of an undersized/deformed aorta, which could mean Kaiju has something similar. I'm not really sure of what to do with this information, even if Kaiju has something similar would corrective surgery be possible? Or maybe there is something I can do to manage it & keep it from becoming a problem, but I don't think so. I'm not even sure if he can be scanned etc to find out if his heart is okay or not, but I'm going to talk with the vet about it soon (a new much better vet than the last one, she's treating my elderly rats & she's wonderful! I just don't know how she is with mink...) & I'll do whatever I can to keep Kaij safe & healthy.

He seems in good health anyway, he became quite flighty & grumpy at the start of breeding season, but he's settled down again & is adapting to his walks. We even went swimming recently, in a pond near my house. He was a little freaked out by all the water at first but once he was coaxed in he absolutely loved it! Trying to find areas to practise walking with him away from people is so tricky, but if we go out late enough it's pretty quiet, & thats when he's most active anyway.

Also, Kaiju might be getting a little sister next summer! I haven't finalised many details yet, but she'll probably be either a stardust, black chat or a black cross :)

& look at how blue his eyes are! It's so hard to get a photo of though, he hates cameras being close to his face, moves too fast & getting the right the lighting is tricky otherwise they just look black.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:30 pm

He's looking good. As for the heart. I understand the concern but congenital doesn't always mean genetic. He's probably fine.
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 pm

He is so gorgeous. I haven't had any mink experience, and before Kaiju, I thought
they looked and acted much like a ferret. Wrong! :lol: I absolutely love his broad
shoulders and frame, he looks so strong and handsome! I want to be locked in a
soft room with dozens of the babies!! Let us know if you find out anymore about
those health concerns.

Also, in regard to that vet visit - I'm also not one of those people, I NEVER complain,
but in this situation, you're complaining on behalf of someone else, and the complaint
could result in better treatment for those who follow. You are completely justified in
making people aware of what poor Kaiju went through, and how you were treated
afterwards.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:38 am

He's adorable. <3 I love his color too. As for the vet, that sounds awful what they did. :( You definitely should report them.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”