PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Salt and Pepper

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Salt and Pepper

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Well, this thread has been a long time coming. I mentioned several weeks back that our vet clinic had two ferrets for a while and asked if I wanted to foster them. We brought them home a few weeks ago, and decided that they are definitely staying. We don't "own" them on paper yet (waiting to pay the adoption fees until after we have a solid down payment), but our clinic wanted us to keep them from the start anyways and don't mind letting us put that off.

They are my first ferrets. I have not had much experience with ferrets since I grew up in California, which has a ban on them. So far, they have been amazing. Not as much smell as I was imaging, which is good. Really, just their poop smells bad. Once we move into the new house, we are planning on putting them and possibly the other animals on a raw diet because of the cost of kibble (when we're growing our own chicken, duck, beef, pork, goat, etc... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy kibble at $2 per lb of dog food and $5 per lb of cat food). In the mean time, they are on our cat's food Nature's Variety Instinct. It is recommended as one of the top ferret foods, as none of the commercial lines of ferret kibble are adequate for an obligate carnivore.

Salt is a 2 year old neutered male, and he's a PEW. Pepper is a 2 year old spayed female, and she's a dark sable. Salt is incredibly lazy and sleeps far more than Pepper. She's springy, energetic, and loves to war dance and dook. Hard jingly cat toys are their favorite to play with. :lol:

Again, not too many pictures as I've been busy lately. But here are a couple.

When we first got them:

Their new cage. It was a DIY, and is the size of a 3 story ferret nation in floor space, but cost about half of a 2 story ferret nation (about $150 total).
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Salt and Pepper

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Wow, that's such a cool cage! Very spacious and fun for them, I'm sure. :)

And I like the names. It suits them, heehee.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Cage cost you less and looks a lot better.

Congrats on the additions.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Ash: It is. They played for about 2 hours before falling asleep in the new cage. It was so exciting for them. It's technically big enough for about 5 ferrets, but because we don't have the ability to let them out as much as I'd like because our apartment is not ferret proof I wanted to make a cage that would be huge for them to play in.

Thanks! Their original names were Candice and Alfred... I thought they deserved better. :lol:

TG: Thank you! It took a while to build with Nathan's night schedule, but it really wasn't difficult. Just some melamine, melamine tape, plastic chicken netting, and brackets. :lol:

The only hiccup we discovered was that the guy at Lowe's was incompetent and was off by an entire inch on some sheets so we had to take it back and get pieces redone.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes