ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Micky the Donegal mink.

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

MICKY

Micky the Donegal mink.

Postby MICKY » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi all. Just a short thread here to introduce Micky. Picked him up of seaside rocks coz unfortunately his mum got spooked by me and my wife and swam out to an island half a mile off shore with another kit in her mouth. We hung around and then went away and came back later but the wee kit was still there 3hrs later and no sign of mum. A seagull was hovering in circles over him and I think he may have ended up in the seagull!! So it was adoption time and now nearly 9 months later he is a permanent resident in my home.

House trained and like a wee kitten and getting daily walks on a harness of nearly 2 miles. He runs behind me when tired and hitches a lift in my big inside pocket?? Just loves it in there but also does his Houdini trick and gets his harness slipped of so have to watch him like a hawk! He allows me to do absolutely anything with him but no one else has that privilege.

My poor suffering wife has become a mink widow.lol My house is falling down and I wait for him to wake to either play,swim or go for walkies. Unfortunately his crepuscular habit is drawing me and I am like a zombie at work while he snoozes merrily at home! Where's the justice in this!! Lol. Adorable,very loveable and worth it though.

I have made a few mistakes over the months with his upbringing and learnt hard lessons. No treats!!! Definitely rule number 1 for me. Apart from his egg yolk in the morning. Have been bitten 2 or three times in 9 months so that's not bad. Eh! And boy! Can he bite!! Wow! Through to the bone nearly and hissing like a good one. That was my fault though through feeding errors so totally not his fault. He,s been through the mill a bit bless him due to my lack of knowledge yet he still loves me to bits. The birds fed Elijah in his time of need and me and Mick's relationship has that sort of beginning.

Do mink make good pets? Well so far I think they do. But like dogs all have different personality's. His behaviour is very like a dog actually. He drags his rova lead to my front door and even jumps up at the handle trying to open it. My 2 dogs now at rest unfortunately never even did that!! He has amazed me with his intelligence. What I would really really like is a swimming pool so I could enjoy a swim with him. Here in Ireland the sea is only for the hardy! Coooooold! So not in a big rush for that.

At present he is in and out of my bath like a yoyo and playing retrieve the plug game. A spare one might I add as he kept pulling it out and I had to go buy a rubber flat one he couldn't grab with his tuskers!! But as luck would have it he really enjoys the go fetch the spare plug outta the bath game!! Still learning things about him and devising perfect litter trays and entertainment for him but the thing he enjoys most is me!

Toys get his attention for a short while and then its back to me for the tug of war with the towel games or the hand wrestle trying to get my thumb. Funny how all animals know us humans weak spot. The thumb!!! Our dogs would have give us the odd warning by getting your thumb as well. Smart eh.

Seen frothing magpies wee kejiu !!!! What a stunning looking mink. Beauuuuuuuutiful. Haven,t told Micky about him though. Jealousy and all that.
Enough! As you can probably gather now I am a doting father of a wee mink.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Micky the Donegal mink.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Welcome. Hope you don't mind but I put some line breaks in your post. Most people find it VERY difficult to read a long post when there are none.

Glad you rescued him. He sounds like fun.
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks Tamanduara girl for the line breaks. Much appreciated and thoughtful of your good self.
Yes Micky is great fun and its funny how I always admired ferrets all my life but never owned one but hey presto chance would deal me a better card.
Well maybe not better coz that's unkind to Mr & Mrs ferret, but a delightful member of their extended family.:-)
Having observed him for months I think I could possibly survive in a world devoid of people but full of mink. I could possibly extend an invitation to my good wife but only if she agreed to behave herself. Lol
I,m now very curious about his wee cousin the weasel. After watching YouTube video of Ozzy the weasel. Think they may drink to much coffee though. Hyper or what!!!!
But we,all wait and see how things develop.
Don't, think I would have much much sourcing a harness for a weasel and probably couldn't, keep up with him even if I could get one. Hard enough keeping up with Micky and his constant 6kph pace up or down hill. In fact he gathers pace up hill????
His in built compass seems also to point hard in one direction which means large circular walking routes are the order of the day. Return trips never appeal to him at all?

Fun!!! Very much so!!! But the crepuscular nature wearing me out. Will have to do some work on solving that dilemma. But until he,s that year old he can have his own way. For now!! :-)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Don't think much can be done on when he wants to be awake since that's instinctual. Better being up mornings and evenings than all night long.

If you are walking in a circle shouldn't that bring you back where you started, or are you walking like in an outward spiral?

I don't know if you have pine marten there but they are kind of like larger weasels and can be fun but they are pretty elusive so even when local it's rare for anyone to wind up with one.
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Definitely a mink. White chin piece and all.
On the small side but he originates from mink farm escapees in 1992 in Donegal Ireland. 5000 of them. So that's 20 odd years of wild breeding and probably explains why he is smaller with a longer nose than the farm\domestic strain who do not need to do the same amount of snouting around in holes for food and are smaller coz they get less to eat generally. Adaptations of animals in the wild is fantastic when you think about them.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeah but you said you were thinking about a weasel but thought they are too small. Pine martins are similar but bigger than weasels.
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Googled pine marten! Wow! Gorgeous,gorgeous,gorgeous! Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! Lol
It,s probably good I am not a wealthy person at the moment as I would own a mansion with indoor and outdoor pool, big running wheels on walls and adventure trails and the whole place would be over run with mustilae critters of every shape and colour. Otter included of course though he not such a critter.
Oh and a small team of servants of course to do all the menial daily chores. Litter trays etc!!!
Not a small dream eh? But would be amazing fun. Especially in swimming with them. Like a cheaper version of a dolphinarium but maybe a wee bit bite___ier! Lol
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Funny you should mention that - I used to have a lo of dreams about mink before I had Kaiju, I had one of us swimming in a small cove near my aunt's house I might make it a reality this summer! I'm curious about how to do it while keeping the mink on a leash without accidentally drowning him or pulling him under, I'm thinking a very long cord one tied around my waist, so my hands don't jerk him about while we swim?
MICKY

Postby MICKY » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:36 pm

I use a German made rova lead to take Micky for walks and a swim. The make is called Flexi and it has the longest lead length of them all at 8 metre,s. Its a fine strong cord also which is less clumsy than the flat leads. Its really good quality and a pleasure to use. Should have them in your pet shop most probably. I modified mine by taking the weird over complicated clip of the end of the lead and looping a very small attachment on the end instead. Most of the attachments are just way to big for such wee critters. Ideally a carbon fibre attachment would be even better for total lightness and strength. He would have plenty of freedom for swimming about with that arrangement though I am always on the watch for him getting snagged or disappearing into some nook or cranny underwater. Be mega careful of that one or drowning could be a result. Of both kajiu and you! trying to rescue him!!
He,all absolutely love swimming in the cove with you and lorcan will probably join in the fun. Poor bubblegum will have to look after the deckchairs on the beach tho!!
Poor kajiu and the vet/teeth escapade. I would have been in melt down if it had of been me there. Unfortunately not an ideal world as I mentioned before and sh1t just keeps happening!
Just hold our chins up and keep battling forward though.
Micky,s a bit of a cage door rattler as well but so far I think his teeth are okay. He,s only ever in his cage in my short journey in my van to where I walk him. The rest of the time he is free ranging about half the house or sleeping behind cushions on the sofa or under covers somewhere
Litter is going pretty good. Nearly 100%! But as you have already noticed, they don,t like a dirty toilet, so that has to be kept reasonably clean.
And all electrics have to be watched with turn off,s at night etc.
All fairly manageable though.
Vacuum cleaner is banned unless I am out for a walk coz that totally freaks him out! Big style. I,m so popular with my wife!!! Lol not!! Granted she is being saintly patient and I love her dearly for that. When I die she could write a book about her life living with a nut!! Seriously. What that dear woman has had to endure in our time together. But then life would be boring if "normal"!!!! Can,t be havin normal\ traditional now can we!
I do play trad music though on the banjo and mandolin buts that's acceptable.
Will have to give you another call soon for a quick yarn S if that's okay with ya?

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”