https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

ferret: new pet - any DOs & DON'Ts?

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

xande007

ferret: new pet - any DOs & DON'Ts?

Postby xande007 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi, All

it's been a while since I had a pet (remember that my red pet fox, Rio, passed away on 31 June 2013).

It's time now for me to get a pet. I have chosen a ferret due to its sociability etc. Not sure if it will be a hobb or jill; not sure about the guard hairs or undercoat colours; one thing is for sure: as long as it's healthy when I get him/her, I really don't mind!

I am in Buxton, England.

I'm a newbie in respect to ferrets.

Any initial advice, DOs & DON'Ts? Raw meal or dry ferret food from pet shop? Training? Pot training? I would like him/her to avoid fish because of the bad fishy breath.

The cage (a Liberta F23 Adventurer) is due to arrive soon. But he/she is only likely to be in the cage when I am not around. I am planning to get loads of toys etc. to keep him/her occupied when inside the cage.

Your advice is much valued and welcome

Thanks!

P
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ferret: new pet - any DOs & DON'Ts?

Postby Ash » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm never owned ferrets, so hopefully someone with experience will be able to chime in. But I'm glad that you're going to get a pet again to fill the void. Sorry your fox passed away. :( Ferrets are very cute--I know they love to chew on fingers, lol. Whenever I've been around them they gnaw on my hands, but fortunately were never too rough.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Re: ferret: new pet - any DOs & DON'Ts?

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Ahhh, ferrets. Fun little bouncy creatures. We have two, Salt and Pepper.

We originally kept them in a wire cage, but ours loved to back up to the bars and poop straight through them for the cats and dogs to snack on so that didn't last long. We built them a cage out of melamine, and that worked great while they were in it. Unfortunately, when we moved, it broke. So instead of building a new one we decided to give them their own little room, it's about 6x10ft and meant to be a nursery in our house. It's much easier to clean up as our floors are all tiled.

Raw meat is always best, but you need to make sure it's balanced. Unbalanced diets will kill ferrets. Don't be surprised if it takes a LONG time to get a ferret on raw meat diets, they become addicted to kibble and don't always recognize meat as a food item.

Potty training... is a bit of a joke with ferrets. Even the best ferrets will have accidents. They tend to use corners, but not always. If you are planning on having them free roam while you're home, I hope you don't have carpet because it will never be the same...

The biggest thing is having places to dig and play in. My ferrets have a "ball" pit somewhat like a kids play house where they can dive in colorful plastic balls in a bin. They love it!

Good luck with your new addition!
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds