please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

What kind of "weasels" are kept as pets in the US?

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

What kind of "weasels" are kept as pets in the US?

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 pm

I say weasels loosely. I mean any member of the weasel family, not just actual weasels.

I know for sure ferrets are kept as pets in the US and are super common.American Mink are much less common, but can still occasionally be found from exotic breeders since they're bred on fur farms here. What other kinds are there? Or are minks and ferrets the only ones found in the US? I know in Europe, some people keep polecats and sometimes weasels or martens (though most of the weasels and martens seem to be wild rescues and not bred in captivity), but I haven't heard of anyone breeding weasels, martens, or even polecats in the US. I believe polecats are sometimes bred in captivity in Europe though. Does anyone know if there are pet breeders of Polecats in the US? I know ferrets are technically the domestic form of a polecat, but I mean breeders of non-domestic polecat varieties. Also, are there any European Mink being bred as pets or is it only American Mink? I know its highly unlikely since European Mink are critically endangered (mostly from over-hunting for their fur in the wild) and they aren't found on fur farms like the American species for some reason, so aren't kept "domestic", but thought I'd ask anyway just in case. Are there any other "weasel" species I'm missing that are bred in captivity, especially if they're bred in the US? Thanks.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What kind of "weasels" are kept as pets in the US?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Only American mink because all the fur farm mink everywhere are American

Tayra, though not readily available especially pet quality(bottle raised) ones.

Badgers sometimes but also not readily available.

Otters sometimes but also hard to come by.

I remember some gryson being available in the past but they were probably imports and not bottle tamed.

Rarely striped and marbled pole cat
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks, TG. Do you know what kinds of otters are avaiable? I've seen Asian Small-clawed, but are there any others?

I imagine sea otters aren't available since endangered?

But what about river otters, which seem to be fairly similar to sea otters, but not endangered?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I believe OtterPop's otter were river otters but when he looked into getting more all he could find were the small claws.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Do you know how he got his first set of river otters? Were they wild rescues?

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 am

I think they were from breeders but not 100% for sure.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”