PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Road to Mink

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

KKM

Road to Mink

Postby KKM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm

I finally found a breeder in the US and have placed a deposit on a 2017 mink kit! While I have done extensive research on mink as pets and and have many close contacts on Facebook with them, I do have a couple of concerns, primarily regarding enclosure. I live where it's quite warm in the summer, and I'd like to be able to house my mink in a large enclosure outside. How can I go about keeping it cool? How do you all go about building enclosures for your exotics?

I will keep this thread updated with my preparations. This has been my dream pet for so long and I am beyond ecstatic :mrgreen:
1.2 rabbits
0.1 campbell's dwarf hamster
1.0 dog
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Road to Mink

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Mink love water, so giving your mink a place to swim during the hot summer months will cool it off considerably. Shade, of course, is very important. You could even have a box fan making a breeze for your mink. If they have a place to go underground too that helps cool an animal off. Those are just some suggestions. There are lots of ways to keep an animal cooler, even in forms of enrichment. I'll bet mink would love frozen blood cubes, for example.

Congratulations on making the decision to bring home your baby. :) We would love to see pictures. They're so cute and pretty. Just make sure the seller is USDA-licensed or the sale is illegal.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
FrayWolf

Postby FrayWolf » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:59 am

Oh wow how amazing! I would love to get a mink but Im not supposed to be getting more animals until after my move. I've always loved them and learning about their genetics, many of the ranch fox colors are named after that of mink. May I ask where your getting your kit from? Its it a pet-specific breeder or a fur farm?
He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes.
But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique to all the world... ❤︎
KKM

Postby KKM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 am

FrayWolf wrote:May I ask where your getting your kit from? Its it a pet-specific breeder or a fur farm?

It is technically a fur farm, but they pull and bottle raise kits for pet owners.
1.2 rabbits
1.0 dog
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 pm

A fur farm cannot legally sell to you, so the animal will be illegally-obtained. Meaning it puts your pet at risk and puts the farm in a precarious situation where they could be fined. The farmer likely does not know this. Please try to look around and find a USDA-licensed breeder of mink instead or a broker.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
KKM

Postby KKM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:28 pm

Alright, I just called the breeder, and he said he was USDA licensed.
1.2 rabbits
1.0 dog
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:34 pm

Oh! That's great to hear. I didn't know there was a USDA-licensed breeder. If it's the guy I'm thinking it is you're getting yours from, then I'm glad he changed his tune. Can you share his name for others? If not, that's okay. But I'm sure there are people who would be interested.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:08 am

Yeah, I'd love to know more about the breeder as well. icon-smile
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
KKM

Postby KKM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:04 pm

His name is Jim, can't remember his last name. He's in Wisconsin if that helps. I can give his contact info to anyone that's interested.
1.2 rabbits
1.0 dog
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:40 pm

When I bred rabbits, I kept frozen water bottles out with them during the summer. They'd lay with them and cool off. I'm not sure if a mink would do the same, but I feel like it would work. (Unless the mink wants to chew on it!)

An outdoor fan or mini pool would probably work best, as Ash has said. :icon-wink:
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
Dylan and cassi

Postby Dylan and cassi » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:35 am

Minks are awesome! Why is it so hard to find a breeder?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:06 am

Most people feel they are too aggressive for pets so are generally just bred on fur farms and those generally don't have USDA to legally sell as pets. A pet breeder could get some that way but they may have trouble finding buyers for litters.
Dylan and cassi

Postby Dylan and cassi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:48 pm

What's is contact info?! I'd like to speak with him. Maybe an email?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:24 pm

I was just saying in theory a pet breeder could buy from a farm but no one else could since they need to have the right USDA to sell for pet or exhibition. Sold as breeders they would still be livestock.

I found a couple ads but you'd have to check if they have their USDA to sell them as pets legally.
http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/28 ... eeders.asp
http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/28 ... n-Mink.asp
http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/27 ... ferret.asp
Dylan and cassi

Postby Dylan and cassi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:27 pm

I called Jim, the guy from Wisconsin and he seems like a nice man. He explained to me that they are pulled from mom at 3 weeks of age and they bottle feed them. All minks that they bottle feed are priced at $300. He told me he had at least 10 different color choices. From black to Jaguar.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”