PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Liter Training Ferret

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tracie

Liter Training Ferret

Postby Tracie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Ok, So my ferret April likes to go right NEXT to her litter box and not in it. So whenever she backs up into that corner I would open her cage in put her in her litter box. She realized that I have to open a cage to get to her. She likes to be out a lot (like most ferrets) so sometimes she fakes to go to the bathroom just so I can pick her up. As soon as I put her in her litter box she try's to get out of her cage before I close the opening. Any ways to stop this?> We will go on for about 10+ minuets with this and sometimes it can get really annoying

NOTE: I do play with April about 2-3 hours a day.
Current Critters: 1 Ferret, 2 dogs, 1 cat, about 40 fish, and 2 rats. Future goal: A fox.
Sinthia

Postby Sinthia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:52 pm

My girls wouldn't use the standard shaped kitty litter box, or more they tried but ended up going on the wall so they seemed to notice this was just silly and stopped using it and like yours just went in the general area.

Then I got them a corner litter tray which is a triangle and covers the wall and that works just fine, they use it. I have one of those in their cage and one out of it so they know thatswhere they have to go when they are playing.

Something that might be wrong is that they like to have a pretty big area to go so they need a large litter tray. If you are already doing that I'm not sure...

Sorry if this was no help. Ferrets are funny animals. Sometimes they just don't want to do what they are told. I have no idea how (bar not helping her go in the right place) to stop her trying to trick you. Cheeky ferret hehe!

-
Sinthia
FoxAdorer817

Re: Liter Training Ferret

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Did you have any luck eventually?
(And yes, I know this post is old.)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
natashaami777

Postby natashaami777 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:07 am

My ferrets from 9 weeks old automatically used it without training them. Demon started using it first and then Duke learned after. Demon is the alpha from the two.

I use a normal cat litter tray with normal cat litter. Sometimes they miss but if you see your ferret backing into a corner and lifting his/her tail then that means they are going to the toilet. So if you see this move the ferret into the litter tray and eventually they will learn that this is the toilet.
natashaami777

Re:

Postby natashaami777 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Sinthia wrote:My girls

Did you get your females neutered? If not how old are they? Just because I've spoke to so many ferret keepers that have females and don't get them neutered and if they aren't bred they will die.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 am

Yes Sinthia's ferrets are spayed, I'm not sure how old they are now but I know they were spayed when they were young.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”