please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

WHAT!I CAN'T BELIVE THIS! Someone please tell me I am wrong

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Elina

Re: WHAT!I CAN'T BELIVE THIS! Someone please tell me I am wr

Postby Elina » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 am

Also I believe in the US that most ferrets are sold already spayed/neutered so unlike hamsters, mice and other small mammals even if they did get loose they would not breed so there would be but one animal to deal with.

I am quite curious about what "disastrous" things could happen if a ferret got loose. . . I am looking after my sisters two and though I have been bitten by one of them it was not exactly deadly. Audrey was nipped by one when she was 2 and she survived and just had four tiny needle like pricks on her big toe.

How large do they think a ferret is?!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:17 pm

They aren't large,but they have pretty sharp teeth. I was bit by one at a pet store and it almost broke the skin on my finger. So the concern could be about ferrets biting and injurying people,especially any children or babies in the home. Also, maybe it's because they think the ferrets might carry diseases.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:37 pm

caninesrock wrote:I was bit by one at a pet store and it almost broke the skin on my finger.

My cats break the skin on my hands all the time... it's really not a big deal.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Yea that would be tragic, why they might kill a few rats or mice.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:58 am

vln_girl wrote:
caninesrock wrote:I was bit by one at a pet store and it almost broke the skin on my finger.

My cats break the skin on my hands all the time... it's really not a big deal.

Not for an adult,but for children or babies.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

I'd be more concerned about a boa or python with a baby. Even large ones can squeeze into teensy-tiny spaces. And a dog could hurt a baby far worse.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Foxyjadda

Postby Foxyjadda » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:56 am

all animals bite
Its weither or not you train them...
My pets
4 Turtles- Toyota, Root Beer, Calester and Hummer (they are all red eared sliders)
1 Cat- Egypt (some mixed breed)
1 Dog- Precious (Pekingese/Tibetan spaniel mix)
2 Mice-Brazil and California (Fancy mouse)
More to come hopefully!
Elina

Postby Elina » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:42 pm

caninesrock wrote:They aren't large,but they have pretty sharp teeth. I was bit by one at a pet store and it almost broke the skin on my finger. So the concern could be about ferrets biting and injurying people,especially any children or babies in the home. Also, maybe it's because they think the ferrets might carry diseases.

As I said in the post directly before yours:
I am looking after my sisters two and though I have been bitten by one of them it was not exactly deadly. Audrey was nipped by one when she was 2 and she survived and just had four tiny needle like pricks on her big toe.
I am perfectly aware of what it is like for an adult or a toddler to be bitten by a ferret and like I said it was not disastrous.

Ferrets unlike most exotics CAN be inoculated as they have been kept as domestic pets/working animals for so very long so the chances of them carrying anything are greatly reduced by having the animal inoculated. They could even add into the law that the animal must be inoculated and spayed/neutered.

Over here ferrets along with cats, dogs, horses and very few other animals are the only animals allowed pet passports to allow them to travel freely around Europe and return to the UK as the government are so very sure that the inoculations work, you could add that into your letter too.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:37 pm

I believe ferrets are domesticated animals, like dogs and cats...right? And like Elina said, they're sold spayed/neutered. It is actually hard to come by a ferret that has not been altered. There are already vaccines made specifically for ferrets. They cannot climb very well, so they'd have a hard time maneuvering themselves if they managed to get inside any walls. They do not chew things in the way rodents do, so if they were to get into walls, there wouldn't be much damage. They'd probably just hobble around excitedly, thrilled about being somewhere new.

caninesrock wrote:They aren't large,but they have pretty sharp teeth. I was bit by one at a pet store and it almost broke the skin on my finger. So the concern could be about ferrets biting and injurying people,especially any children or babies in the home. Also, maybe it's because they think the ferrets might carry diseases.

Yes, they have sharp teeth, just as many animals do, as teeth are generally sharp. Almost breaking skin vs a cat or dog bite which would be more likely to break skin and have more jaw power behind it to cause other damage.

The misconceptions about ferrets are just...laughable. The people who make ferrets illegal must have not ever met a ferret. They're very happy-go-lucky, dopey-seeming, clumsy-sort of animals. Their jaws and bodies overall are very small. They're just not capable of inflicting much damage. As far as fears of them becoming invasive...well, I don't think they're terribly bright and along with that, they're domesticated and most come spayed/neutered so the chances of them becoming invasive are slim to none.
kermisracer

Postby kermisracer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Ferrets were originally domesticated to hunt rabbits. Like other weasels and martens, they successfully hunt and kill animals many times their size: rabbits, ducks, chickens, etc. I don't believe ferret ownership ought to be banned, but it's also not helpful to suggest "they're not capable of inflicting much damage." They're efficient carnivores capable of severing a rabbit's spine or destroying its throat in a split-second. I don't know whether a pet ferret has ever bitten off a child's finger, but there's no question they could.

Oops, just found this. Not the ferret's fault but the idiot parents' - still, chewing off baby fingers counts as real damage, no?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/1 ... 78244.html

The issue is that ferrets (weasels, martens, but foxes too) sometimes go into a sort of killing frenzy. When they get into your chicken coop they're as likely to kill one chicken as all of them. Most pet ferrets may never engage in such behavior, but I'd be at least very cautious when there are babies or toddlers in the house. For children under the age of 10 or 11, herbivores are much safer as pets. A rabbit may bite you by accident, but it won't want to chew off your finger when it does :-)
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:36 pm

When I found that article, I called BS and I'm still calling BS. It sounds incredibly fishy. The parents already had issues with taking proper care of their animals to begin with. And they awoke to sounds of the child screaming but the ferret had already managed to remove several fingers? That child would have begun screaming immediately and it would have taken the ferret several minutes to remove that many fingers. If they were home and sober, they should have heard the child screaming immediately, long before a single finger was removed. Have you ever watched a ferret eat kibble? It takes them quite a long while just to consume a single little piece. Also, the baby would probably be thrashing about while the ferret attempted to remove fingers, which would make it even harder to chew them off.

I believe some other article on the incident mentioned that the ferret had supposedly already pooped out multiple fingers - possibly whole. I cannot remember for certain and I'm having trouble finding it. Ferrets are not very large as it is, and it would take quite some time for the body to digest a finger...yet it is supposedly pooping out whole fingers through it's tiny little anus?

I personally think it's a load of crap and that there was something more going on.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm

I feel the exact same way regarding that incident, TheUnstable. A toddler wouldn't wait until a few of his/her fingers were gone before starting to scream. I don't know who thinks it's a good idea to leave any animal alone with a baby. When I have kids, I am going to be paranoid about that. When you have any animal, you have to be careful. Regardless of what happened in that situation, I would still hold the parents responsible.

I'm not saying ferrets are never mean, but dogs can certainly be vicious too. So I don't see the reason behind banning ferrets when dogs, cats, and snakes are okay. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

I just think it's simply because ferrets are not as commonly kept as pets, and therefore there is a bias against them. I think most people don't understand what they're like.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Ash wrote:I just think it's simply because ferrets are not as commonly kept as pets, and therefore there is a bias against them. I think most people don't understand what they're like.

Plus, the more common a pet is- the more people want one- the more people will fight against a ban. The bans are really only in place where the people allow them. Imagine if CA suddenly decided to ban domestic cats. It just could not happen. But not enough people are willing to fight for ferrets, much less servals or foxes or cougars. :nogif:
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 pm

I would think even a baby's fingers would need a great deal of chewing to break down the bone. Ferrets are quite small. An infant's finger would choke a ferret if swallowed whole - which I believe one of the articles on the incident mentioned that the fingers exited the ferret's body through the anus all in one piece, though I may be remembering it wrong. Either way, it would be very challenging for a ferret to break down an infant's fingers, especially in a short amount of time.

The article linked mentions evidence of them not being home when it happened as well as a lie about whether the ferret had bitten before. Ferrets may bite, often in play, but so do many animals, and just because it bit doesn't mean it is the one that chewed of those fingers. Perhaps something else did it, or even the parents themselves.

I was very displeased when I first read about that story as it will just create even more misconceptions about ferrets. Many people already think they're vicious, dangerous, wild animals, so that story certainly did not help. And also, I feel sorry for the child that endured such trauma, no matter what caused the loss of those fingers. At least the child is out of the care and custody of those irresponsible parents.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:10 pm

I don't know about the truth in that story, but a ferret would poop out a finger whole. They do not chew things like that well and do indeed swollow things whole all the time. Its why foreign object surgeries are so common with them. The digestive system is rapid and not very efficient so indeed a finger would come out fairly entire. That's why they need to eat so much so often.
Must be more then one incident since article was quoted that the ferret was killed during the attack. No time even for the quickest gut to be passing fingers yet.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”