please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Weasels <3

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: hecate, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Weasels <3

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Does anybody know if you can have any of these as pets and what they're like as pets?

Stoat
Least weasel
Japanese weasel
American Marten
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
the_unstable

Re: Weasels <3

Postby the_unstable » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 pm

I did some mild reading about these. I remember a thread I had found (I don't know if I'd be able to find it again) and I remember someone said "Stoats are mental". Ah and I found the thread. http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/archive/ ... 16375.html I have heard some good things about weasel's as pets, though. Ctrl F and put "Harrisii" and read their post about their weasel's. Otherwise you'll read a bunch of unrelated stuff for the most part. It seems there is more than one person saying they could not tame stoats.
paulajo

Postby paulajo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:32 pm

I had one that was so well behaved, never moved and didnt eat......it was stuffed! :icon-wink:

A neighbours cat killed it so i thought rather than let it just disapear, i would get it stuffed. It was beautifully done by an expert, presented on a wooden base with twigs, leaves etc. I was so pleased, i was 18 at the time and very proud of my collection. (All road accidents of Victorian inherited)

Until........ i got back home to my caravan, only to find my Collie dog had thoroughly enjoyed chewing it all up! :wall:

I dont suppose that helps but they are stunning to look at icon-smile
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:14 pm

I've seen some video of pet least weasels and they seem pretty good but I've never heard of any in the USA.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah, I have no idea where you would get one. The only things I've found on weasels and such as pets involved people finding them in the wild.
Delight

Postby Delight » Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I have owned two weasles (both were brought in by cats before their eyes were open.) The first one I got was a male, who was roughly 3-4days old when he came to me. He was a DOLL, he would sleep curled up in my hands, give me kisses and was very very sweet and tame. The second one I got was a female, she was a bit older (about a week) she was horendous! Before her eyes were even open she was biting and drawing blood while I was trying to feed her. She'd grab hold of my fingers, in between my thumb and index - basically anywhere she could and would lock her jaws up and shake her head back and forth until it broke skin. I brought her in to a local rehab clinic. I kept my male weasle for a long time, he just passed away one day of unknown causes - I couldn't get him vet care because I was not allowed to have him legally :nogif: but he seemed completely fine until one day I went to go get him out of his cage and he had passed away, broke my heart. Weasles are also VERY VERY STINKY. If they get scared or excited they spray like skunks and it smells just link skunks - so that's something to keep in mind :monk-dev:
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info Delight. What kind of weasel was it that you had?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”