PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Martens

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

blacksagephoenix

Martens

Postby blacksagephoenix » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Is there any information on Martens in captivity? I recently saw them when watching Planet Earth and they are adorable little creatures. I did a search, just to see what comes up, and didn't seem to find much on them. I am assuming they would have a very musky smell to them, much like ferrets, but I am sure worse. If anyone comes across any information on them, or know of a breeder or owner, I would be glad to hear it. Thanks!
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Martens

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:10 pm

One breeder had a couple but they never bred.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 am

I also really love martens, but haven't been able to find much about them as pets. Please post if you have more luck than I do!
fisherking

Postby fisherking » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi,
Greg Here in upstate New York, no Marten but I do raise one or two Fisher each year on a bottle,expecting now,very very unusual and quite friendly arboeal weasels ,the fenales renmain quite small ,but the males can get real big Highly intelligent needing a good sized enclosure with climbing limbs,friendly with the people they knowm bu they are a little wolverine and no way a beginner should attempt. I really enjoy mine and love to play in their house with ball.The do house trainm for a house with no kids,dogs,or cats to torture.must have own enclosure,get aslong well with other fihers,esprecially siblings
Greg
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Cool. Glad to know someone breeds them. I thought they looked like mini-wolverines.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Are these Martens? I'm guessing so since they look like them and the scientific name included is Martes Zibellina. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG9tw4VCCE0 Such cuteness. They are totally on my wishlist.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:35 pm

It's a sable but yeah that's a type or matren technically, same family.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

They're so incredibly agile...amazing. They seem like they'd be a lot of fun but also pretty tiring trying to keep them out of stuff and run their energy down for the day...Even so, I wouldn't turn one down if the opportunity to acquire one ever presented itself.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Someone on the Parlons Vison (a French mink forum) has a pet stone marten she got from a trapper, & it's tane enough to be walked in a harness & leash around Paris. & I checked, he doesn't smell bad like a ferret at all ;3
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:57 pm

FrothingMagpies wrote:Someone on the Parlons Vison (a French mink forum) has a pet stone marten she got from a trapper, & it's tane enough to be walked in a harness & leash around Paris. & I checked, he doesn't smell bad like a ferret at all ;3

Cool. Do you have any pictures/stories/videos about him? I love martens.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I do, a few pictures! they're not the best quality because we agreed to meet up at night so we'd attract less attention, but I'm hopeless at technology so I'm still working on learning how to get pictures from my camera onto my laptop ^^" But When i do I'll post them in my thread on meeting mink in Paris, which is when i met the marten too
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Awesome. I can't wait to see them. ^^
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:02 am

fisherking wrote:Hi,
Greg Here in upstate New York, no Marten but I do raise one or two Fisher each year on a bottle,expecting now,very very unusual and quite friendly arboeal weasels..... I really enjoy mine and love to play in their house with ball...... Greg

That's really cool! I dream of one day getting a large male Fisher to hunt with! I train mink to hunt with, and they are quite amazing little hunters! My friends and I have caught fish, rock squirrels, brown rats, a western chipmunk, muskrats, mice, voles, Kangaroo rats, ducks, a starling, and almost caught a quail with our trained mink! One day I'm going to get me a fisher and try my hand at hunting with one of them. I think it would be a blast to hunt porcupine with a fisher, mainly because I would be the first to document it first hand. There is very limited documentation, and to my knowledge no video footage of a fisher hunting a wild porcupine in nature. I would love to not only experience the hunt, but also be the first to get video footage of it. It would also be fun seeing what other prey animals such a large and athletic mustelid could hunt! People think wolverines are cool, and I agree their pretty awesome, but scavengers aren't near as exciting to me as a true predator. A male fisher is the LARGEST of the land mustelids that truly hunt for a living. That is far more impressive and exciting to me than the scavenging wolverine. People love to tell the exciting stories of the mighty wolverine taking down an elk or a moose..... but I could also take out a moose with nothing but a small pocket knife if I had on snow shoes on and it was stuck in the snow! I can almost guarantee you that wolverine NEVER even sink their teeth into, let alone kill, a healthy untapped adult deer, elk or moose. Other than sick, young, and trapped animals, I'm sure the mighty wolverine never kills anything larger than what a fisher would hunt!
cheshire fox

Postby cheshire fox » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:14 pm

i luff martens, there's one at the hershey zoo
i think it's a pine marten, can't say i've seen any as pets

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”