PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Mink chat

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Mink chat

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 am

Moderator: Split so those interested in mink could more easily find the info.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about a mink instead of a ferret? They're of course more difficult to obtain and sometimes not as friendly but it'd be kind of a pioneer thing again because they're so uncommon as pets. The French keep them some, though, so you can find info on them in french. I was thinking of getting one someday but the trouble is FINDING one (or a fur farm that will sell one).

I've talked with someone who has one here in the US and she had a lot of great things to say about them (she's had two). She said that she thinks that if people had minks (or whatever the plural form is), they'd never bother getting ferrets. I've been told that they do not smell as much, they are more intelligent, and they litter train better than ferrets. They also, in my opinion, "come in" better colors.
Neofelis

Re: Mongoose chat

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:09 am

OMG I want to hear more about the mink! Do they bite a lot/extremely hard? Could they potentially get along with cats? Did she get hers from a breeder in the US?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:17 am

Could work too. A bit more "wild" than ferrets. Would need to be sure I've plans in place too keep a mink separate from other pets. There used to be a lady with mink on a group I was on she had several over time. Said they are very bitey. She had varying degrees of luck with them. One was really nice the rest was lucky to just teach them not to bite hard. She couldn't let them play with the ferrets(except the one) because they were too rough(Edit: by too rough I mean would injure or kill them if not stopped). Kind of like a cross between ferret and otter. They do not fear attacking things larger than them.

Though this makes them look promising http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-Mink/ ... 97?sk=wall

http://www.squidoo.com/FerretsUnlimited/minkyboodle
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:23 am

Ah foiled mink are not listed in OR so wold be treated as prohibited too.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:15 pm

TG - did the lady get the mink when they were adults? From what I've found (which I admit, isn't a whole lot), it's best to get them when they're like 6 weeks old. Since mostly the French keep them, they're acquired at about that age and somewhat older. They seem to be against getting one before it's eyes are closed and bottle feeding it. They also do not spay and neuter from what I've read.

The woman I've spoken with in the US who has had two has spayed and neutered hers. One she got before it's eyes were open and it was apparently incredibly sweet and the other when it's eyes were open. She said the second one took more time to work with and is not at the same level of tameness as the first but it is still a good pet. Her first one was found in the wild and the second from a fur farmer.

The French often keep theirs with ferrets and I guess it works out. From what I have read on the French forum, they do vary quite a bit. Some can be pretty friendly and others are aloof and don't want to be touched.

I would like to give it a go sometime...I just can't find anyone who will sell them. If I liked them a lot, someday it'd be fun to become a USDA licensed breeder for pets. However, I am guessing that they're rarely kept as pets because they're not as perhaps "tameable" as other exotic species.

Edit: You can find some videos on Youtube searching for mink in english, but you'll find several if you search for mink in French. I like this video of two mink playing in a tub with toys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1JLFDzO ... re=related
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:14 pm

They were all from a fur farm and all raised the same, gotten young but not sure exactly how young. The one maybe was more domestic as it's color was the ferret-like panda markings and the others were normal. It was so nice she could take it to ferret meet ups and people wouldn't know it wasn't a ferret. I don't know if she fixed them but I think maybe they weren't. I may try digging up her posts later. The nice one was also smaller and she had to only let it be with the others supervised. I could see neutering making a difference on aggression though so maybe that was the difference between hers and others.

True on the tame-ability otherwise they would be at least close to as common as foxes or skunks I would think(being both semi domestic fur farm animals).
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Hah, that's funny that she would take it to ferret meet ups and fool people. I would want a blue or black, so I wouldn't be able to do that with one that I'd get. One French person I directly talked with said that their mink is not neutered but is not aggressive or stinky.

If only I could find a fur farmer that would sell me one...*sigh* I've spoken with a few but one hung up on me and the others were willing to talk but no longer raised mink (and one asked another farmer if they would sell and they would not).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Maybe European mink are more domesticated to be tame since they are being bred for pet temperament and not bottle raised they would become tame faster since that is being selected for more than when only being bred for fur.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:42 pm

You mean the mink bred in Europe or the actual European Mink species? The mink kept by the French, from what I can tell, are American Mink. If you're referring to how they are bred, then that would make sense. I can't find enough information on mink kept as pets from the US to make much of a comparison in temperament unfortunately :(
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

mink 2 chat

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Yeah I was just meaning how they are bred over there vs on farms here. Though that's interesting theirs are the American species as I thought the ones on farms here are European.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:04 pm

the_unstable wrote:I would like to give it a go sometime...I just can't find anyone who will sell them. If I liked them a lot, someday it'd be fun to become a USDA licensed breeder for pets. However, I am guessing that they're rarely kept as pets because they're not as perhaps "tameable" as other exotic species.

The_Unstable, you could buy a pair from a fur farm if you were USDA licensed (you seemed interested in getting licensed from other posts). You could produce one litter and see how the babies turned out?

Personally, I LOVE the jaguar mink. Hillview exotics had mink for sale about a year ago, and they were offering a jaguar. It was really beautiful. I wonder where they got them from?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 pm

TG - I thought the ones here are American also? For that, I'm going by what I saw on each species Wikipedia page...not exactly super reliable. The french mink forum http://parlonsvison.xooit.fr/f24-English-section.htm when translated will state that it is about the American mink so it seems pretty sure that that is what they are keeping over there.

Ash - I would love to do that, but I wonder if that would be much help in getting a farmer to sell them. I suppose it would be a very different approach. "Will you sell me a mink as a pet?" vs "I have a USDA license and I'm looking to buy a breeding pair of mink". However, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get one. I'm working on getting a wildlife rehabilitator's license which will allow me to be exempt in keeping most any wild/exotic animal in the county (as well as the state)...since it would make me legal, could I get a USDA license on top of that? It's an idea...a really intriguing idea. As for jaguar mink, I have never heard of it. When googling, all I could find were pictures of coats, not even pelts and of course no real animal.
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Here's a mounted jaguar mink. It's not alive, but let's you see what they look like. I think it's gorgeous! Image
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Seems you're right. I thought I had heard about farmed mink released becoming feral and it was a problem due to them not being native here but I guess I got the continents backwards and it was American mink in Europe. http://old.furcommission.com/Biology/release.html

That spotted color is neat.

There is one way around the prohibited permit for mink and that's the fur farm permit but I'd have to have ten of them breeding for profit. The other would be to petition to get them listed but they would likely make them prohibited instead of uncontrolled because we do have mild winters.

Now if only the fur farm permit allowed mongooses, lol, because in an ideal world that's what I'd want. Several breeding pairs but sell offspring as pets or make unrelated breeder pairs for others. I'm guessing it would be easier to get than the prohibited permit.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:59 pm

There is always one or two pairs of mink at my hope. They are usually by the chinchillas quail and guinea pigs by the bathroom. Usually the pairs are a jaguar and a black. They are always sleeping and don't seem stressed. Just sniff your finger, but the wire is too thin for them to really snap.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”