ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Mink chat

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

the_unstable

Re: Mongoose chat

Postby the_unstable » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:00 am

The Jaguar is beautiful!

TG - Hmm no mink so you probably can't have similar things like a marten or ermine or something? damn laws...

Lasergrl - I wish I lived closer to Ohio. I would love to see the swap. Are the mink there sold as pets or for breeding?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 am

Yeah the problem is nothing that isn't on the list is allowed though marten might be doable in a round about way. They are native and any native not protected under another law is allowed to be taken and kept from the wild without a permit. I would have to double check but don't think pine marten are protected so could get them from the wild and breed them. I don't think I want to try catching and breeding wild marten right now though. I only know of one place that tried to breed them and they didn't succeed.

Ringtail cats are considered native fur bearers so can't have them either. All viveridae are banned except for binterong, which isn't very mongoose like. Ermine aren't listed but would be unlikely to get given uncontrolled status if petitioned.

If I tried to petition to get something listed it would be Eupleridae to get the Madagascar mongooses allowed but the chances of them not making them prohibited are slim since it looks like they intended to ban then but didn't know the right classification for them.

So about the only easy thing to get would be a ferret but I'm in no rush as my bunny is taking up a lot of cage space and I'd worry about them meeting up accidentally.

Still the lowest temperature in Madagascar is about 50F and the giant striped live in the desert when it doesn't even get that cold. Might be able to make a case but then I don't know if it's possible to get any.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

minks chat

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Lasergrl wrote:There is always one or two pairs of mink at my hope. They are usually by the chinchillas quail and guinea pigs by the bathroom. Usually the pairs are a jaguar and a black. They are always sleeping and don't seem stressed. Just sniff your finger, but the wire is too thin for them to really snap.

When is the Mount Hope auction this year? I may actually be able to go. Mink are legal to keep as pets in Utah, so I actually could buy some if I wanted to go in that direction. I'm glad that they have jaguars there! I would like to go sometime just to see everything that's there.

I would love to try to capture some ringtailed cats. Wild ones actually tame down quite well from what I've heard, so they would probably not be as stressed in captivity as something else. And the babies would be in really high demand.

As for the mongoose situation... Are polecats okay to keep in Oregon? The marbled polecats are really pretty and are in high demand here in the US. Polecats would be a bit harder to keep than ferrets, so they may give you more experience dealing with something more "wild-ish."
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:53 pm

No the only mustelidae listed is Mustela putorius considered domestic, because it's the species domestic ferrets are and not much reason to get a wild one.

I used to think the list was pretty decent but it's disappointing realizing there's an awful lot they didn't get listed.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:25 pm

A marten would be cool. I remember seeing a youtube video a while back of a marten or similar animal as a pet...it was seriously cute, running around on someone's sofa in their living room. A marten or ermine or something. I can't find it now so I suspect that it was in another language. Argh.

A ringtailed cat would be cute also. I looked into it very briefly but it doesn't seem like there are [m]any breeders.

I wouldn't mind going to Mt Hope, but it's such a long drive, like 8+ hours there. Probably not really worth it when Loli Bros is so much closer for me.

Edit: http://www.mthopeauction.com/sale-schedule It looks like the only exotic sale is going to be 29, 30, and 31 of March.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 pm

The sale schedule is probably just not updated yet. There will probably be a July Sept. And Nov. One too.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mink chat

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:17 am

From Pet Mink on FB

Anyone thinking of getting a pet mink should go with a male of a lighter color like white or grey, as the lighter colored mink are much more calm when compared to the darker varieties. The lighter the better if you are inexperienced. But realize that even the nicest white or grey male mink is STILL WILD. Yes they are domesticated as far as size and color, but in their head they are still mostly wild, and they have the jaw power to bite through a double layer glove! If they get a hold of bare flesh be prepared for a trip to the hospital. They are NOT like having a ferret!!! They are a wild animal and take MUCH more time and patients! Having said that, I love mink, and find them a true joy to have around, but ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME, PATIENTS, AND KNOW-HOW!!!
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Interesting. I guess the color is linked to adrenalin, like in the fox experiment?
Delight

Postby Delight » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 pm

I used to own ringtail cats, I really wish I could find some more of them! I had a trio, they bred once but the female canibalized the babies :-(
I don't know if mine were captive or wild caught because they went through a few hands before they got to me but they were not super sweet lol. The male would SOMETIMES let me touch his tail if I had food. They were easy to work around but definately were not cuddley. They would nip my ankles and feet when I walked into their enclosure but they never hurt me.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:38 am

I've looked endlessly for a ringtail cat breeder, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any (unless someone is hiding out in the mountains with some). I've found a few people who once upon a time had them, but not any now. I would really like to get some wild caught ones and see what I can do.

Delight, what kind of enclosure did you have for them?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Is Macon Magic still breeding? That's the only one I ever found, and when I last checked there was a waiting list of several years.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

vln_girl wrote:Is Macon Magic still breeding? That's the only one I ever found, and when I last checked there was a waiting list of several years.

I wish I remembered--I had sent them an email a long while back, and they replied to it. I've deleted it since, and strangely I don't remember whether they said yes or no. I'll have to contact them again and ask. If their website is current, then it looks like it.
Gryffindor

Postby Gryffindor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 am

I wonder why there aren't more mink breeders (especially considering that there's mink fur farms)? It seems like they could be a pretty popular exotic, same with ringtail cats.

Hopefully mink are legal in Florida, I would love some one day. I can't get any any time soon but would like a few mink some time in the future. Anyone know what the price range is for them at Mt Hope?
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Neofelis wrote:OMG I want to hear more about the mink! Do they bite a lot/extremely hard? Could they potentially get along with cats? Did she get hers from a breeder in the US?

Yes mink can bite extremely hard. Nothing like a wussy ferret! With lots of work and patients most mink can learn not to bite, or at least to bite gently. I've had bottle raised mink, ranch raised adults, and wild caught adults. I can tame them all, regardless of background, but it takes lots of time, patients, and at times pain tolerance ;-) As far as mixing them with other animals (like cats). It all depends on the mink. Some mink are tolerant of other animals, some are friendly, but play far too rough, and other mink just see them as prey (and yes that includes dogs).
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 pm

the_unstable wrote:TG - did the lady get the mink when they were adults? From what I've found (which I admit, isn't a whole lot), it's best to get them when they're like 6 weeks old. Since mostly the French keep them, they're acquired at about that age and somewhat older. They seem to be against getting one before it's eyes are closed and bottle feeding it. They also do not spay and neuter from what I've read.

I have raised several baby mink, and helped my friends raise several more. The French are fools if they feel it's best to wait until the baby mink is 6 weeks old. Well, let me rephrase that, if they are taking baby mink from a fur farm that old they are fools. It might be different if you get your baby from a breeder who handles the baby mink daily. I've never bred, nor do I know anyone who breeds mink as pets, so I don't know. Fur farm babies taken much older than 5 weeks FREAK OUT for the first couple days. They are old enough to miss their mom and it can be a VERY stressful experience for them. Now each mink is different, as some are surprisingly calm regardless of the age you take them, where as some will still freak out at only 28 days old. In my opinion the best age to take a baby mink from his mother is 32-34 days old and bottle raise it. No younger, no older. I've done both, and unless you get lucky, you'll regret it! I do plan on having a couple litters this spring, and I'm going to try an experiment and see if I can leave them with their mom till 6 weeks, as long as they get plenty of handling every day.

the_unstable wrote:TG -
The woman I've spoken with in the US who has had two has spayed and neutered hers. One she got before it's eyes were open and it was apparently incredibly sweet and the other when it's eyes were open. She said the second one took more time to work with and is not at the same level of tameness as the first but it is still a good pet. Her first one was found in the wild and the second from a fur farmer.

Yes getting them just before, or just after their eyes open makes a big difference. Their eyes open at 34-35 days, that's why I recommend getting a 32-34 day old baby.

the_unstable wrote:TG - The French often keep theirs with ferrets and I guess it works out.

I have the opinion that ranch mink bred in Europe are far more tame than ranch mink bred in the U.S. all those You Tube videos you see of the French and their mink make me cringe!!! None of my mink, or friends mink have ever tolerated another mink, and I see these guys walking around with their mink together on leashes like a bunch of ferrets! When one of my mink is let out of the cage the first thing they want to do is run over to the mink in the cage next to theirs and fight THROUGH THE WIRE!!! I know if you do raise American bred mink together they can put up with each other, but even then they still get into fights! The mink ranchers tell me that if they don't keep their mink extremely fat they will KILL AND EAT their cage mate!!! One late meal and they loose a bunch of mink. In the U.S. the ranchers only keep a male female brother sister pair together until pelting. Then all the mink are kept separate until mating. And when the do breed the mink, there is the occasional fatality from ether the male breeding too rough, or the crazy little female killing the male for trying to make a move on her. Also, I think most mink would have a hard time being gentle enough with a ferret. They would kill the poor thing while playing! I know some pet American Ranch mink can be kept with ferrets, but it seems the exception rather than the rule. Every thing I know about mink just tells me what the Europeans get away with is just not normal. So ether I don't understand mink as well as I think I do, or European ranch mink are just different than U.S. ranch mink.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”