ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Mink chat

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Mink chat

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks for sharing your stories. I love reading about the mink. They sound like really interesting animals.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 am

Minkenry, how do your mink react around strangers? Are they scared or aggressive toward them? I know you probably don't let people you don't know very well handle them, but I was wondering how they are around other humans.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:18 am

I was wondering the same thing. By the way, I've been lurking on these threads and reading all this information and falling in LOVE with mink. I want a sapphire so bad now!
Wonder how Echo would react? :lol:
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 am

Ash wrote:Minkenry, how do your mink react around strangers? Are they scared or aggressive toward them? I know you probably don't let people you don't know very well handle them, but I was wondering how they are around other humans.

As far as who I let handle any of my mink, I have a rule. I ask myself this question, "What will this person do if my mink bites them." If I don't know, or I have ANY reason to believe they would report me and my mink after a bite, then they can NEVER touch ANY of my mink. If I trust the person and feel comfortable with them getting bit, then they can touch the mink I trust. Whenever I have a freshly tamed mink that I trust with my self, but don't know how it will react with a stranger, I have a few select friends that are my special "guinea pigs". I always tell them when they are being my guinea pig, so it's not a surprise to them if they get bit.

As far as the mink go, each mink is totally different. I had one mink named Iⁿshta'pede (that means "Fire Eyes" in the Omaha Native American language) and she VICIOUSLY attacked anyone that wasn't me, and not just strangers, ANYONE other than me. It was a good thing she was cute or my friends and family would have hated her. Basically everyone BUT me still have scars from that mink. The crazy part about Iⁿshta'pede was that she started attacking people at such an early age. I'm talking 6 weeks old! That's before she was old enough to walk across a room!!! My buddy's mink Loki also attacks everyone but him. His mom, brothers, EVERYONE get's attacked but him. Unlike Iⁿshta'pede, Loki was good with people until about 4 months old. Then she became aggressive towards everyone but him. She even attacked me, the one who used to babysit her! I even cared for her for an entire week when she was 3 1/2 months old, and then a couple weeks later she was attaching herself to my hand and shaking me like a rag doll!!! She still is sweet and loving to "her daddy" but everyone else has to keep there distance.

The other end of the spectrum is one of the mink I have right now named Missy. Unlike the two mink described, she wasn't bottle raised or handled as a young mink, she was bought from a fur farm when she was almost a year and a half old. Missy doesn't seem to care who's who. I can give her the food call, and she runs to the nearest person and climbs their leg expecting food. I have to call her and call her as she goes from pant leg to pant leg until she figures out who's calling her. She is just as nice to everyone else as she is to me. The other female mink I have now named Roxy is nice and sweet to everyone as well. She was captured from the wild as an adult, and is a sweet heart to everyone. She does seem to prefer me, however anyone can handle her safely. My other buddy's bottle raised mink Baloo is also totally fine with everyone, and has actually bonded to both my fiend, one of his little brothers, and one of his friends.

So to sum it all up, it really depends on the mink. Some are totally fine with strangers, some are only ok with people they know, and some hate EVERYONE except the person who raised them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Very interesting. It sounds like with mink you really can get both extremes. I'm careful who I let my fox around too--I wouldn't want to risk him nipping someone who would complain to authorities, only to get him put down.

Missy sounds like such a sweet heart. That's really neat that you got her when she was fully grown and that she's so tame. You must have spent a lot of time with her.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:08 am

Missy is doing good now, but like you said, it definitely took quite a bit of work and a little blood to get her that way. She was never super aggressive, just very nippy. She never seemed to bite as hard as she could, she just did it when ever you annoyed her, and it didn't take much to annoy her. After about 3 weeks after I got her I decided to start holding her bare handed. A few days later I had a bite, and then another, and then another, and then the third one hit bone and I put the gloves back on for a while. I had to basically learn when she would and wouldn't bite and wear my gloves accordingly. I think I stopped using gloves completely after 2 months or so.

The sweet one is my mink Roxy. She is my all time dream mink! She's my 9th mink, and by far the closest I've ever seen to a perfect mink. I have no idea how old Roxy is, because I didn't buy her. A lady caught her in her garage and brought her to me. She was caught in November, so she was for sure a full adult when I got her, but I have no idea how old. She was super jumpy and afraid at first, and MAN COULD SHE BITE! Unlike when I first got Missy, she didn't bite a lot, but when she bit SHE MEANT BUSINESS and no welding glove on earth was going to stop her teeth! I was feeding her bare handed after 6 days, and threw the gloves away for ever after 2 or 3 weeks! Other than getting me through the glove during the first couple days working with her, I have yet to have an accident with Roxy. She is a total sweet heart! She follows me around like a little dog, and will climb up my pant leg, up under my coat, and run around like a cute little hamster.

http://youtu.be/HBaYRe1W0fs

Like I said Roxy is as close to a perfect mink as I have ever seen. She may be sweet, friendly, and fun loving with people, but she's a KILLER when it comes to hunting! She runs as fast as lightning, locks her jaws like a pit bull, and can climb like a tree squirrel! She's also one of the smartest mink I've ever seen. At first her intelligence was quite annoying as she was always out smarting me, but now that we're buddies it's really nice because she learns what I try to teach her very quickly.

http://youtu.be/dLMynPB4mDQ
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for sharing those videos. I especially like the one with Roxy and the lure. She can be vicious! I can just imagine her actually hunting. I watched some of your other videos too, and they were really cool. The pool enclosure is really neat and clever; I never would have thought of a pool as an enclosure.

How many mink do you have currently?
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Right now I have 3 mink, one of which is still bran new. In addition to Missy who is an adult female Mahogany mink, and Roxy who is of an unknown age and is of the natural wild brown color, I also have my new black male mink Moⁿchushage. I got Moⁿchushage (which means "Bear Claw") on New Years day, and he's still quite wild and dangerous. He's improved a lot from the day I got him, but he's still far from trustworthy. I actually got Moⁿchushage unexpectedly. I was talking to a friend who breeds very large black mink, and he was telling me he had some really big males that he was thinking of pelting, but he couldn't decide if he should keep them for breeding because of their HUGE size, or pelt them because they didn't have the right fur qualities he was looking for. I've always really wanted a large male mink, but I've never had one that was very big.

Last spring I actually picked out a GIANT 34 day old Mahogany male from a farm that breeds Mahogany mink (I seriously went through this guys heard of mink, weighing and eye balling hundreds of baby males before I picked one out). This little guy was growing up to be quite the giant and was double the size of another male we got from the same farm, even though he was a week younger. I was so excited to see how big my baby would grow...... and then I lost him. It totally broke my heart! He was on his way to becoming the perfect mink! EVERYTHING I was hoping for and more. At just 11 weeks old he was already 1520g (3lb 5oz), thus making him the largest mink I've ever had, AND HE WAS STILL JUST A BABY! And then one day when he was 11 weeks old, he wandered off never to be seen again. It TOTALLY broke my heart! To this day I don't know what happened to him. I doubt he just got lost, as he new my area well from our daily walks. He was far too young to have tried to go back into the wild to fend for himself. So I don't know what happened. My guess is someone or something killed him.

So anyway, my dream of having a giant male mink was postponed, and when my friend mentioned that he was going to kill some VERY large males because they didn't have the fur quality he was looking for with his breeders, I couldn't help but to jump at the opportunity. So New Years morning I drove over to his farm and was planning on just quickly picking out a big male from among his group of culls. An hour and a half later I ended up picking the second mink I looked at LOL.

When I got there he right off the bat showed me a couple of his biggest culls. The first one I really really liked, but he had a badly injured tail. The second one was a HUGE 8.8 lb mink, but he was really mean. He would walk up to the side of the cage and try to attack you. Some mink curiously approach the edge of their cage to check you out, others are fearful and try to hide from you, but this big boy was looking for a fight! If you approached his cage he'd approach you, and then try to attack you through the wire! When I held him he would sit and chew on my glove and coat, just biting me constantly the entire time he was being held. One part of me liked his fire, but the other part of me wanted a mink that would be easier to train, and one day safer to handle bare handed. So despite his GIANT size, I put him back and started to look at the other 50-100 mink he had to offer. After an hour and a half of looking at smaller mink, I ended up coming back for him. I really admired his spunk, and the challenge of taming such a beast of a mink was too much for me to pass up. I was also stuck on the idea of taking home one of the biggest mink on the farm, and this boy was GIANT! To give you an idea of how big he is, maybe one out of every 1,000 mink born on this farm grow to be over 8 lbs. So out of the 10,000 baby mink this guy has every year maybe 10 get above 8 lbs. This big boy WAS PUSHING 9 LBS!!! At 8.8 lbs he was probably the 2nd or 3rd largest mink out of the 10,000 babies born last spring! He's not just big HE'S HUGE!!!!! Here's a picture of what I jokingly call my minkasaurus rex.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't been on here in a while! Since I was last, I've bred my really sweet female mink Roxy, and my buddy Cade's really sweet female Ruby. So hopefully we'll be having a couple litters in the next couple weeks. We were careful to breed the best mink we have, that way we have a better chance at getting some really good babies. I'm so excited! I can't wait for our little babies to be born! :-)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 pm

That's great news, Minkenry. I hope you get some really good babies.

Are you going to bottle-raise them? Or just tame them down?
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 am

No, we're not going to bottle raise them. It's better for them to get mink milk, and since I have the mama mink at my house, instead of at some mink farm, I can play with the babies for several hours a day, and get them used to people that way. Then just a couple days before weaning, I'm going to sell them to carefully selected individuals who will finish off the weaning process feeding them a bottle for a couple more days before they are totally on meat. I'm just hoping we don't end up with more baby mink than I can sell. I won't sell them to just anyone, since most people can't handle a mink, so depending on how many babies we have I might get stuck trying to find the last few proper homes. I have a good sized line up of people to buy baby mink, but with 2 potential litters of my own, plus a friend's litter, we could easily end up with close to 20 baby mink if all three females have big litters! We could also end up with only one litter of 3 and a lot of disappointed people too, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Of course, if we don't have enough babies to fill all of our orders, I can always just buy baby mink from my mink farmer friends, so the people expecting baby mink still get their baby. I know one thing is for sure, if my Roxy has a healthy female kit, I get first dibs!!!!! I absolutely ADORE Roxy's personality, and would do ANYTHING to bottle raise a baby just like her! Wish us luck!
Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Thu May 16, 2013 1:28 am

So we had our first litter of baby mink just born yesterday! We had 5 boys and 2 girls, but one of the girls was a runt and didn't make it, so we're down to 5 boys and 1 girl. Here are their pictures!

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Congratulations. I haven't really been facebooking lately but do remember you were hoping.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 am

They're so tiny!
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 18, 2013 1:16 am

That's such good news! I wish you luck. Do you have buyers?

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”