PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Operation Stripey-face.

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nova

Operation Stripey-face.

Postby Nova » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Our target: Meles Meles. The European or 'English' Badger.

Otherwise known as 'freaking adorable stripey-face.'

I've been researching these guys for about two years now, after having some experience with the high desert badger back home in Nevada (and boy are they fun! Grumpy, but fun). Now I am very serious about managing to get ahold of one Meles Meles, and preferably would like to get ahold of one breeding pair.

Step one is done, where I live they are legal to own and only require a basic permit (from my understanding feel free to correct).

Step two, the research, is mostly done. I have knowledge of how to make an enclosure (no such thing as badger proof, but damn close). Their eating habits, attitude habits, enclosure needs (dirt, tons.), and their needs as far as weather.

Step three, is in process as I am looking around to find a suitable vet for them that has knowledge of similar breeds (the American Badger).

The last step is the one I am afraid I won't be able to accomplish or at the very least will not be able to accomplish on my own. Thus, I am here to bug you all for help! Which is the actual procuring of these wonderful animals. Now from my research in the UK it is illegal to own an 'English' Badger as a pet. But I also know from several other sources that these are not United Kingdom exclusive creatures. They are located not only in Ireland (though I do not know the Republic's laws on these guys), but also in several areas of Europe. Now I know they haven't been truly domesticated, but from research I and others have done they seem prime for it so long as they are gotten at or before weening age. I know they are social, but luckily I'm a 'stay at home' artist.

SO! This is an attempt to facilitate information on procuring badgers, or to give information to anyone else interested in these guys. If anyone has any idea as to a way to get one, or preferably a pair, of Meles meles into America I would LOVE to hear from you. Thanks, and ask questions if you have any! :D
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Operation Stripey-face.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:20 pm

I only knew of one breeder with a badger pair but they never bred.

The most common badger to find are honey badgers. They aren't as cute though. So I don't know how to get one. Maybe Ken's exotics. If you're serious he can often find things.
Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 pm

I am definitely serious. Ken's exotics you say? I'll see what I can find out :) and thanks for that tips. I am up for a wild goose chase, so if anyone has even a 'maybe, but not sure' I'd love to pursue it.

Thanks a bunch Tamandua.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:40 pm

I'll try to help as much as I can. If you did get a breeding pair, I would definitely buy a baby from you. :icon-wink: I'll do some digging.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks to both of you for the support :D I sent off an email to Ken's and am looking toward relocating. I lived in Michigan for a couple years so it's not like jumping into a completely foreign place. I'll let you know what I find out when/if I find something :)

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Illinois is actually an excellent state for keeping exotics. Maybe also consider settling there--you wouldn't need a permit for a badger. Unless it is a large carnivore, venomous reptile, or primate, you can have it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm actually kind of thinking of moving to Illinois when I finish school. I like their exotic laws.

As for the Badger thing, I wish you good luck! It would be great to have a member with something more uncommon on the board.
Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 am

My S.O. has had a passion for badgers for ages now, and when we met he helped me catch the bug. Now I am really wanting to get one of these for myself. Sadly my contact with Ken's Exotics was ambiguous a best. Just that he offers exotic badger species such as the honey badger from time to time and nothing more. I suppose I shall have to ask them to let me know if some show up of the particular genus I am looking for.

I have heard illlonois was good for exotics, I'll have to check their home prices. The nice thing in Michigan is it's dirt cheap to buy real-estate right now which makes moving so much easier and possible. Still the hunt for the badger is on, I shall not rest until I manage to procur some way of obtaining one :).

Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:39 am

You can put a want ad in the animal finders guide. Alot of breeders get that.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I was looking the other day and you may need a permit for a badger--but if you did, it would be free and you would just have to renew it anually. But I don't know if that's the case or not.

It's just that badgers are considered a protected specie in Illinois. So are western hognose snakes, and you need to have a permit for them. So it would make sense you might need a permit for the badger since it's protected. But I have no clue if a badger would fall in the same category.

But if so, the permits are no problem. It's just a matter of emailing Springfield and asking for one. Then if ever the number of badgers changes, you need to report it within 48 hours to Springfield and update your permit (whether one dies or you have a litter). Then you just need to renew the permit each year.

The_unstable: You would have to make sure you could keep your skunk though. Illinois has a ban on striped skunks. I was told even with a USDA license you can't have one, but I don't know if I'm going to take that as a fact unless I can find it somewhere in the law. It may have also depended on who I talked to.
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Argh, are there no good exotic states left? Sometimes it seems that way. I knew about the striped skunk ban but had forgotten.
Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks Lasergrl, I'll put one up and see what I can shake loose :).

Ash - I'll go look up the code to see what I can find. I'm guess it is the american badger that is protected but it fully depends on how they write the law. If it's the entire genus or just that one. Thanks for the heads up, and I don't mind the permits it's not too much trouble really but the lack of having to pay every year helps. Luckily Michigan's is only 25 a year from what I've seen. I'll start looking up the code on all that.

And the skunk ban makes me sad! I love skunks very much. I wonder why they have a ban on them. . sort of like how the bans in Michigan don't make a lot of sense comparatively.

Elina

Postby Elina » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi!
I see these guys all the time as I live in the UK however they are always squished by the side of the road. I will see around 15 badgers a day in the Spring/summer on my drive to work however I have never, ever seen a living one in person.

Someone over here told me that if you find a badger, you can keep it. I know this is the law with foxes, I can look into badgers but I have no idea how one would go about shipping them. . . or catching them.

If the law is the same as it is with foxes you can take them from the wild but you are not allowed to return them unless you are a rehab facility as once taken they are your responsibility.

I am not saying that I would go "badger hunting" for you, I am really not even a little sneaky BUT rehabs may have overly tame non releasable ones like they do with foxes so I could ask a few for you if you would like?

I know a woman in North East England who rehabs all sorts. I want to go and see her next time she has a badger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jWJFfgtzQ

She is really good though so I don't think she ever has any overly tame critters.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:43 pm

The skunks are banned since they're a rabies vector species. But I want to double-check on the USDA thing. If you're correctly licensed, my guess is there is some way you should be able to keep them.

But there is no ban on badgers in IL. You just can't shoot, trap, or capture wild badgers (though you can't capture wild animals in most states anyway). IF there's a permit--I dont' even know if there is a requirement--it will be free and simple to get.

Striped skunks are the only animal you can't own in Illinois--but I'm looking into it a bit more. You can have spotted skunks.
Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Wow! That would be wonderful Elina if you could do that. I would love to take a overly tame pair and work from there. I hate to take them out of the wild if they are well acclimated which is why I always forcused on young preferably abandoned, kits. The friend I talked to about this originally said the best way to get kits was to look around the area of a dead badger (a female of course) to see if you can find her young as that is often how they end up abandoned. Mother gets hit by a car and leaves the young behind.

Still, this is a much preferred method to take a single or a pair who are just too tame to release. Please do ask around, I'll be in your debt for it :).

As for catching, I don't suggest doing this in anyway unless you are used to it (and would never ask some one to do it for me), but I'm going to guess you can do it like High Desert without needing as big of a cage. The high desert badges love dog food. There was one that my friend needed moved since he had decided to dig his burrow into a golf course and all we did was set out a very large humane trap, and dog food. Two days later we had a big angry male badger. These guys seem more peaceful so would probably be easier to conjole into a cage. Still, I would much rather get abandoned cubs or overly-tame and unreleasables. Is it ok to take them out of the country? Do you know somewhere I can read up on these style of laws?

Enough of my blabbing! I will reiterate that I would be very grateful if you'd talk to the rehab facilities and let me know if you find out anything. Thank you very, very much in advance. Also, eeee on the video! So cute!

Ash - I was more curious of the direct wording of the permit need. If it is anything of the Meles genus, or if it is Taxidea taxis (the north american badger). Most laws have the specific genus or have it on an entire grouping. I'll have to go look it up and see what I dig up.

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”