PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

domesticated mink

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

zebrafox

domesticated mink

Postby zebrafox » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:18 am

im importing more domestic foxes in the fall from the russians, to sell in the u.s.
they also have domestic mink though too.

does anyone think domestic mink could be viable as pets? i could import a couple
blacksagephoenix

domesticated mink

Postby blacksagephoenix » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:27 am

I would be so interested in a domesticated mink. How much would it cost approximately?
*~*~*~*~* Chell *~*~*~*~*

Mother of one daughter, one dog, two cats, one fennec fox, three hedgehogs, two short tailed opossums, three sugar gliders, three velveteen rabbits, one bearded dragon, one tortoise, twelve ball pythons, and several rats.
Nova

Re: domesticated mink

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:28 am

I'm already looking into domesticated mink here, and it would be interesting to look at the russian experiment ones. Especially if the coat quality is similar. I also would like to know cost and an idea on paperwork and time lines. With mink getting them younger is better, but since I am guessing they have gone under the same domestication experiment it probably won't matter as much.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 am

Basic mink bought from fur farms seem to turn out pretty well. I wonder if the "domestic" mink would be much different. I'd like to have one but I don't have thousands of dollars.
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 am

fur farm mink (the american mink) are domesticated but have not been bred for tameness whereas the institute mink have been. the species is still the american mink species though. coat quality is the same but there are color differences.
the experiment parallels the fox one in that they also bred some super aggressive mink. all the super aggressive mink have dark coats while the mink being bred for tameness exhibit lighter brown fur with the white star marking on their chests

i dont think they will be thousands of dollars. if i imported some they would come on the pallet with the approx 10 fox shipment im planning so their cost of transport would be almost negligible.

the researcher in charge of the minks didnt have a price for them because no one had approached them about importing them before, but i have his contact and am going to negotiate something with him.

i just wanted to get a feel for level of interest so i know if i should bother or if people dont think mink make good pets

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:31 pm

I think it depends on price, and maybe they could provide videos of tame mink to get an idea of differences?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:55 pm

I would be interested for sure. (But of course, it depends on the price)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Do you think CA would ever pass laws allowing the Russian experiment animals if they started becoming more common in the US? That would be awesome....
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm

I may be interested depending on that price, like Ash said.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:02 pm

vln_girl wrote:Do you think CA would ever pass laws allowing the Russian experiment animals if they started becoming more common in the US? That would be awesome....

Never. They don't allow ferrets, they are domesticated and common.
Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:44 pm

Hey zebra, do they show any of the color or weight differences that domesticated mink from fur farms do? This is mostly important because if it is the same color as a standard mink they have to be over a certain weight or I can't have them. Any and all info you can get on the variety of the test subjects, and of course a price, but I am very interested!
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
zebrafox

Postby zebrafox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:06 am

i will get that info for you :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 am

I've been on the hunt for mink for a while! I live in Ireland, & mink are one of the very few animals you need a license for here. That's because the mink used ( & freed) from fur farms are American mink & they're thriving here, but are really destructive to the wildlife. Or so we're told, but tbh, I'd say it's more effects of pollution and more aggressive agriculture techniques that are effecting bank voles etc.

I'm finding it very difficult to get any information on them, I can't even find where I'm meant to get a license from. Most people in the agriculture department I talk to try to give me a load of bull, about how minks are poisonous/ minks can gauge out your eye/ mink bite & don't let go until they hear a bone break/ how they wouldn't hurt a fly, but they'd obliterate a mink...
My plan is to some how get this elusive license, and then buy a mink kit off a fur farmer for the same price as he/she would get off an adult.

They seem to be pretty popular in France, I found a very helpful forum, if only my French was a little better ^^;

I'm not too bothered about colours, but they sapphire ones are really lovely ^.^
Do you guys have any advice/ information/ warnings about all this?
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sun May 06, 2012 10:54 am

I can't say I have any advice or warnings but I do know what forum you are talking about! If you use the web browser Google Chrome, it will offer to translate entire pages at once for you - from whatever language to your language almost instantly for free. It helps A LOT.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 pm

FrothingMagpies wrote:I've been on the hunt for mink for a while! I live in Ireland, & mink are one of the very few animals you need a license for here. That's because the mink used ( & freed) from fur farms are American mink & they're thriving here, but are really destructive to the wildlife. Or so we're told, but tbh, I'd say it's more effects of pollution and more aggressive agriculture techniques that are effecting bank voles etc.

trust me, mink are the cause of many of our waterbirds and other being obliterated, it's a reason we will have a bounty on them soon, the sooner they can be exterminated from our countryside, the better.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”