domesticated mink

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: domesticated mink

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Mink don't tolerate other mink in their territories which are 1-4 miles about, averaging 2 miles each. That's one busy mink to have a devastating effect in a 2 mile range all by it's self.

What waterfowl do you have that do not migrate and there for are never exposed to predators in their lifetime so don't have some idea things sometimes hunt them?

I'm sure they have some negative effect but it wouldn't be devastating without all the other pressures.

I think feral exotics for the most part just make a nice scape goat. It's all their fault. Never mind all the feral and free to roam cats, pollution, loss of habitat, deaths from cars and other human vehicles, ingesting cut fishing lines with hooks and other garbage, not just locally but everywhere they migrate. That's all insignificant compared to one mink in a two mile radius.

Again I'm sure there is some effect but the urge to pin all decline on invasive species has gotten kind of ridiculous. Mink are a self limiting species. Without all the other impacts on the birds the impact would be minimal and a balance would be reach between predictor and prey. Unlike feral cats you will never have dozens in a small area.
naja-naja

Postby naja-naja » Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 pm

mink here though aren't seen as 'proper' exotics, just pests. many ducks, etc nest in reeds and marshes and the mink kill them while they're sleeping, there's a few living in the local marshes here and every effort is being made to kill them all, but what happened is the AR groups broke into for farms and let hundreds go so the little sh!ts are all over the place. feral cats aren't a massive problem in Ireland (at least not here anyway) and the mink here are nothing new, they've been a problem since at least the 70s, if not longer and it's getting worse and worse, most people living in rural areas have traps for them, particularly people who keep poultry.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 06, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm sure they are a problem for water foul keepers. They are smart enough to take advantage when hungry. Water foul is more a meal of opportunity. They prefer crustations as they are easier to hunt. Domestic water foul are pretty easy prey though. They may be spreading but the populations wont get denser so they really wouldn't take a large toll on the wildlife.

From a study
Populations of feral American mink Mustela vison were investigated in several study areas in Ireland, principally by capture-recapture techniques. The populations were found to be essentially self-regulating, with stress, weight loss and mortality evident during the winter and spring. The highest mean density recorded, in terms of animals per unit length of river or lake shore, was 1.4 individuals km−1 with a peak density of 2.3 individuals km−1, but population densities were considerably lower in most areas. Trappability and population structure, in age, sex and residency classes, varied between habitats, but population turnover was high, leading to complete replacement of individuals in two populations monitored for two years. The availability of the preferred prey, crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes appeared to be a major factor determining population size and preferred breeding areas. Control methods are either unnecessary or are likely to fail in most situations, and may be counterproductive.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 pm

I think feral exotics for the most part just make a nice scape goat. It's all their fault. Never mind all the feral and free to roam cats, pollution, loss of habitat, deaths from cars and other human vehicles, ingesting cut fishing lines with hooks and other garbage, not just locally but everywhere they migrate. That's all insignificant compared to one mink in a two mile radius.

Exactly. I mean, (just taking Ireland as an example) the massive changes in agriculture since when my parents were growing up are taking a devastating tole on the wildlife. Every scrap of the land that can be stripped and used for crops/ grazing is used now, the banks and hedgerows that wildlife really needs for living and hiding in is being utilized for human needs. I would blame the industrialisation more than any one species (humans excluded ;))Although, yes feral cats aren't a problem, I would be more inclined to think that even the pets ones do more damage than the mink. Ireland doesn't have weasels or Eurasian mink, but we do have stoats, and there are plenty of larger predators and competitors for the mink here, it's not like the foxes in Australia.

The main reason mink are so hated probably also comes down to the bank voles. They're the polar bears of the UK & Ireland, they're considered the cutest, cuddliest creature under threat, and because their ranges overlap with the mink, the mink gets blamed. But it's funny, I never hear much of a complaint over the startling 500,000 ponds lost in the UK in the last century (I'm going to hop between the UK & Ireland a lot, because what goes for one usually goes for the other) which is the voles habitat along with streams etc.

Today was the last day of the bank holiday weekend so I'll call the Dept of agriculture again in the afternoon to try to track down anyone who knows about this license xD I need to sort this out soon so I can try to get the license, contact a breeder and have everything sorted out before the breeding season is over, wish me luck ;D
wadifahtook

Postby wadifahtook » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Zebra: I would be VERY interested when we move. But, we may be moving to Texas, so I am looking into permits to get around their fur-bearing mammal laws. If that ends up being a no go though, then it'd be a no go on minks, domesticated or not.
wadifahtook

Postby wadifahtook » Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 pm

PS. Can they be bred, or will they all be fixed like the foxes are? Are there any other species the program is working with for domestication studies, or is it just foxes and mink? Thanks!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu May 10, 2012 2:46 pm

I know they wanted to try otters as well, but i think thy had too much difficulty in getting them to breed & getting the enclosures right.
As far as I know they are also working with rats, but they may have stopped that by now
Crafty

Postby Crafty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

This thread is a bit old, but I was curious as to if there is any news on this? I might be very interested in adopting a domesticated mink in the future depending on the price.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:14 am

Look in the fox section. ZebraFox said they will be getting mink most likely but they are pricey.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I might be interested in mink depending on if I move out of Texas in the future or not. I personally prefer the look of the European Minks to the American minks though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:16 pm

I think these are American mink, and likely quite expensive. Good luck getting your hands on a European mink as American mink are hard enough to get as it is :P
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:01 am

the_unstable wrote:I think these are American mink, and likely quite expensive. Good luck getting your hands on a European mink as American mink are hard enough to get as it is :P

I know. The American minks are the only ones in fur farms because the European minks are endangered. I know I'd never get one as a pet,but I just personally think they look cuter. The American minks are too fat/muscular looking to me and it kind of creeps me out a little.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:41 am

Ah I didn't realize they were endangered. Well that's a shame.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:33 pm

the_unstable wrote:Ah I didn't realize they were endangered. Well that's a shame.

Yeah. Alot of the animals I like are endangered. (Gray Wolves, Red Wolves, Dholes, European minks,etc.) :/

Minkenry

Postby Minkenry » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes I am VERY VERY interested, and I know LOTS of other people who are too. I run a pet mink club, and we have been getting the regular fur farm mink that have not been selected for tameness, just fur quality. They take a lot of work to tame and train. I and my friends would LOVE to try our hands at some mink bred for tameness! Do you have the mink yet, or are you still trying to decide on ordering them???

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”