domesticated mink

ferrets, badgers, otters, weasels, martens, wolverines etc

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

vulpis
Banned
Banned

Re: domesticated mink

Postby vulpis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:32 am

Anyone knows if Canada would legalize the import of mink and foxes from the RUSSIAN INSTITUTE since they are considered 100% domestic and are even listed on wikipedia as domestic animals?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:57 am

Foxes. No. It's a rule by the import agency so there's nothing you can do. And even if you technically could you still couldn't because almost no one supports foxes as pets now(IRL).

I'm not actually clear on how the import rules effect mink. I don't see them listed as specifically excluded from live import as pets, unless I'm missing something.
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:55 am

@TG thanks for clarying that
How did the import of the Russian domestic mink go? Has he arrived at his new home?
I'm impatient to see zebrafox's pics of him!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:35 am

Check the "first importation" thread, she just put up some pictures of him ^.^ I'm glad to see his new home comes with a pool, a mink that can swim is a happy mink. I already have a load of rubber duckys & "bathtime" toys for my future mink xD
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:26 pm

@FrothingMagpies, you plan on having a pet mink? How cool! Are you thinking about importing a domesticated Russian mink, or just dig up some breeder here in the US?
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Yup, I've wanted one for a few years now ^.^ I was thinking of a Russian one for a while but they are too expensive for a lowly college student like me sooo I'm getting a license to keep them (you need a license for them here in Ireland) & getting a baby from a fur farm this spring (hopefully). If the fur farm backs out after I get the license then I'll have to start thinking of importing from a breeder in France.
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Oh, you're from Ireland? sorry, I got confused! I'm from Canada ^^
How much are the Russian domesticated ones? I know the foxes are somewhere around $8000, but I have no idea about the minks.
Good luck with the one you plan on getting from a fur farm, I heard they're not easy pets at all when taken from a farm. You'll need to harm yourself with A LOT of patience, but in the end I'm sure it'll all be worth it!
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Hahah, no problem, there's got to be someone from everywhere on this board! Which I love.
The mink costs $6000 to $7000, I asked Mitch (the importer) a while ago.

Which bothers me because somewhere on their website they mention the price of the mink (as pelts I would think) was around €60/$80. This wasn't advertising them, just mentioning it in an offhand way. They were domesticating mink (& foxes) in particular so that they'd be easier/less cruel to keep them on fur farms, & if the price for one pet mink is $2000 without export/import etc costs then that makes them impractical for fur, they'd be too expensive to make a coat out of. Which makes me think the institute is selling of it's excess/ unwanted animals for much less for their fur. I don't know if you know but there was an article about the institute in the National Geographic a few years ago & they mentioned how sad they were when it came for the time for animals to be selected for slaughter. So they do sell them elsewhere, I think they just know people who want exotic pets will spend more. The remaining 4-5000 is just the import, vet visitations, travel etc.

Oh I know, I've met some pet mink originally from a fur farm, & they're very wild o_o I'm a bit worried, but I think I can tame one. Even the wildest ones apparently are okay on a harness & leash so at least I can still give it all the exercise & fun it needs ^.^
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Yeah I've read about that in the National Geographic, it's really sad :( I mean, they're all SO nice and friendly, and then you have to chose between them who will be the next one to get killed.....

I really hope it works out for you and your potentially future mink, when exactly do you plan on getting it? I'm sure that with a lot of determination and persistence you'll succeed and make a nice pet out of a fur farmed mink :)
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 pm

I know! There's no way I could do it, even if it meant getting fired.

Well they only breed once a year & the babies are born in April/June & ideally you should get the baby at 28 days & bottle raise it from there if you want it to really bond with you, but I'm not sure if the farm will sell me one that young, if not then as soon as they're willing to. It's a good time of year too, I'll be done with college for a few months & have plenty of time to devote to raising it ^.^ & thanks! I hope so. When do you plan on getting your fox? & what kind? :)
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Fox kits are born generally in late February-early April (the red fox kind) so the moment you can get one is between March and June (not later than summer tho, if not the kit won't properly bond with you).

I always thought you should get the baby earlier than 28 days to bond with it :O Shouldn't you get it at like 16 days or so? If the fur breeder accepts, of course. How much do you plan on paying the breeder guy for the baby mink? Do you already have a specific breeder you plan on getting it from? Oh, by the way, do baby minks have a special name? Like baby cats are kittens, baby dogs are puppies, baby foxes are kits, etc.... ? Just curious ^^
And I'll get my fox this spring, probably like in April 2013, (between March and May, for sure). And I'm not sure about the gender, I'm not picky on that either, but it will be a common vulpes vulpes fox of a color morph called 'champagne'.
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I've been a lurker of the fox section for while, but I never really say anything, I don't have anything to add ^^' I always get excited around spring to see all the new foxes & stories at that time :3

Well here a mix of opinion, some people think you get a more stable mink if you wait until it's fully weaned & take it then, some prefer bottle raising. Because mink can be vicious I'm trying to get it younger & raising it with my two female ferrets so that it does have other mustelid company. I'm getting a male because they're usually more chill, & if it grows up bonding with my ferrets (some do) that's a bonus, if when he gets older he becomes dangerous to them that's not a problem either.

I'm buying from a fur farm, I called all the ones in Ireland, some never picked up no matter how much I called, two were very hostile & one said maybe they'd sell me one if I get a license (but I think they thought that would deter me.) I have no idea of how much they'll sell it for, the license is already costing me €250 or $330. I really, really hope it isn't an annual fee, if it is I'm giving up. I'm an unemployed college student, I can't afford that for the next 10 years.
Baby minks are called kits too!

A champagne? Those are so beautiful! I love how they're almost pink. I didn't know there were any breeders of them other than fur farms. I openly drool when scrolling down the fox colour chart, they are too beautiful.
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Ah same!!! I love seeing pictures of foxes in spring, having new members talking about their new kits, and seeing those for sell (some have gorgeous colors).

I suggest to you that you don't let the mink spend too much time with the ferrets. Of course, it's great to socialize them together and everything, but if the mink spends too much time with the ferrets -even if those are domestic- it could turn wild and reject human contact. It's just a suggestion, as I've seen it happen to other people (not with minks, with other animals).

Omg that license is so costy!!! How come it is so expensive? Did you get it already? And did you need any special training/course before getting it, or did you just have to call and ask for one? Just curious, as I know Europe has less severe laws regarding the ownership of exotic animals, at least that's what I know/heard. Correct me if I'm wrong!

And yep, a little champagne! The one I'll have will be pinker, and will have either light blue or pink eyes. There are no breeders of champagne foxes actually, I'm getting mine from a breeder on a fur farm who's a distant friend. And that champagne (who belongs to Daisy, a member on here) you see on the fox color chart is , no offense, very ugly compared to the one I'll have. Mine will be darker, pinker and will have a more vivid tint. The one on the chart is fade, almost looks a bit bleached in my opinion x) But still pretty. Just to say that the one I'll have will be better looking, the breeder will specifically breed some of his very nice champagnes to get a pretty one for me :)
FrothingMagpies

Postby FrothingMagpies » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 am

It gives you such a good idea of what it's like to raise a fox as well when you see what problems the new owners come across & how they deal with them! It's like a online soap opera with the smallest target audience ever xD

I understand what you mean! Didn't think of it in relation to the mink though. Shouldn't be a huge problem, they won't be in the same cage while I'm here & when I move away next year the mink can come but the ferrets will have to stay with my mum because they smell too bad to like in student accommodation :/ mink don't smell so I won't be getting any complaints from him. But he can see them on weekends!

I know right?! I nearly died when I saw it... Didn't give up though xD I think it gets away with being so high because the only people keeping mink here are fur farmers, who are making money out of the mink so that covers the cost. It's not intended for pet keepers. I have enough money now but I'm not sending the form away until the enclosure is built, because I'm not sure if they'll actually come out to inspect it or not, but there loads of question like "How big is the compound?" which idk how to answer xD

You're right, *usually* Europe's laws on exotics are less strict. But in Ireland there is a feral mink population that while not really causing much damage get blamed for a lot of things. My favourites include:
1) killing small children, dogs & sheep.
2) Scaring birds away from migrating here.
3) Endangering our bank vole population.
4) attacking adult people for no reason.
None of that is true. While yes, they hunt voles the real damage being done is through habitat loss & over intensive farming of their land. Mink are just the scape goats. & obviously they can't kill any of the other things (birds aren't their natural food choice butt it is possible, juts rare). Ireland is the most anti-mink country, to the point where people hate ferrets because they look like mink.

So if it gets out that people are now keeping them as pets there could be a n out cry. Soooo they might not approve me just because of that. I only have a vague idea of who to send my application form to, it's all under wraps from the anti-fur people too *sigh* I should just go back to hamsters xD

I'm actually dying to see your pink fox XD I didn't know foxes other than the Russian ones had blue eyes? It's really pretty. A blue eyed pink fox sounds too ,magical to be real. That's so cool that you have "friends in high places" when it come to foxes! Will your champagne be expensive? Have you seen any of the farms foxes or did they tell you about them?
vulpis
Banned
Banned

Postby vulpis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Aw it sucks you can't keep your ferrets with you :( are your ferrets deglanded or not?
And hehe, that should be pretty cool to see you in an apartment with a pet mink xD Quite unusual to see that if you ask me. Do you know if there are other people in the UK owning minks?

Ugh, it's so hard sometimes with the laws and licenses -__- I really hope you'll be approved by the inspector. Where I live inspectors don't care too much about these kind of things. You could actually keep an illegal animal "legally" if you know what I mean. As long as it ain't a tiger or something, authorities close their eyes on it. Recently there was a guy with a pet lemur and lynx, police confiscated the lynx and brought it to a wildlife refuge, but let him keep his lemur. And I could go on with many other similar stories...

Are they serious with the laws? I doubt a mink would be responsible for a goat or dog's death (unless the dog is really small). I'm pretty sure those dead dogs and sheep got killed by some other animal...
Sucks for the mink, they get blamed on so much. It's like the foxes. When I told some relatives about the fox I will get, the first thing they said was "what are you gonna feed it? You won't find enough chicken for that thief"... so many stereotypes. Just because foxes kill livestock chicken... first of all, they're animals, and they don't think "oh, these are the farmer's chickens, I shouldn't attack them!!" and second of all, we're the one who took over most of their habitat, so the poor things are just adapting to their new life.

I can't wait to hold my fox baby :D It's in exactly 3-4 months from now, around April 2013. Ahu ahu, okay, not such a long time to wait. Actually, there are a lot of foxes that can have blue eyes! Those at the institute who have blue eyes are usually the platinum or whitemark foxes, and the eyes are blue because of the domestication thing. But they are REALLY rare tho (those with the blue eyes).
But mostly all the colors of foxes that can have blue eyes are extremely rare and no one ones any as a pet (or only a few 10 people own them) : sapphire fox, colicott fox, dawn glow fox, fawn glow fox, sometimes the amber fox, champagne pink fox, albino fox (duh!), sapphire amber (sometimes) and I think that's pretty much it.
My fox will be somewhere around 1500$ (eek!) but I've been saving for a while and I find it worth it. I'm such a crazy fox lady xD I haven't seen the foxes yet, but I'll see them in a couple days when I'll visit the farm. I'll definitely take some pictures! That guy is the creator of the champagne foxes, and the creator of a few other colors too!

Return to “Mustelidae - Ferrets & family”